hey lottie! you're always reblogging these fabulous gifsets of boys kissing boys and girls kissing girls, but i never know what they're from or where to find them! can you rec some of your favorite queer shows/shows with strong queer characters+narratives that you're enjoying right now or have enjoyed in the past? and if you're feeling extra bored and need something to do, maybe a bit about why you like em, and some hints on where we can watch em? you're the best and i trust your taste a lot!!
[HANDEL’S MESSIAH PLAYING SOFTLY IN THE DISTANCE]
- LOOKING – I screeched Looking’s praises across the galaxy a few weeks ago. tbh I cannot overstate how fucking brilliant this show is. diverse, intelligent, and beautiful to look at. also: Raúl Castillo.
- PLEASE LIKE ME – very cute, very Australian, and very, very funny. deals with mental illness in a big way, but also has an entire episode dedicated to them killing their pet rooster, Adele. if you need convincing.
- ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK – I feel like this show needs no introduction. queer girls everywhere are absolutely robsessed with it for a good reason. it sometimes drops the ball, but: Poussey.
- CUCUMBER / BANANA / TOFU – this has a special place in my heart because a) it’s set in MANCHESTER!!! and b) one of the main characters is bisexual… and he’s one of the hottest people on planet earth. PLUS: Luke Newberry is in a Banana episode, and you will never look at Kieren Walker the same way again.
- IN THE FLESH – speaking of Kieren Walker! okay, listen. LISTEN. THIS SHOW IS UNPARALLELED. it is absolutely stunning. the fact that it got cancelled after only two (unbearably beautiful and perfect) seasons is the premiere injustice of my life. I cannot believe it. it’s been 15 months and I am still livid. I am FUMING.
- QUEER AS FOLK – THE ORIGINAL HOT MESS. all the clothes are ugly and the dialogue is… just… abysmal… but despite that it is perfect and beautiful and I won’t hear a word against it! unless I’m the one saying it!
- THE L WORD – see above, but with GIRLS. and… Shane. [sweats]
QUEER STORY LINES:
- BLACK SAILS – I am currently arse over tit in love with this show. it’s about PIRATES and there have been FIVE explicitly queer characters so far, four of whom are on the Main Cast (good luck trying to guess who). al-fucking-so: two polyamorous relationships. like. what the hell, Starz?!
- HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER – not only was there a borderline insane amount of gay sex in the first season, after being criticised re: a poorly-handled bisexual subplot the showrunners turned around and made their main character bisexual. Shonda, man. it’s also one of those shows that you KNOW if it keeps going long enough everyone will eventually bang each other. it’s already begun.
- HANNIBAL – there’s no way you could exist on the internet and avoid finding out they went Full, Textual Romo in the finale season, so I don’t feel bad for spoiling you. the first season and a half is Criminal Minds meets ‘80s French Art House cinema written by, like, a fucking 13th century philosopher, and then suddenly: romance! I still cannot get over it!!!
- CUFFS – lovely little BBC show about police in Brighton, and Brighton is essentially the San Fransisco of England, so! it was truly taken from us too soon. my Wednesdays are hollow.
- SHADOWHUNTERS – is this show brilliant? no! have Alec and Magnus literally killed me? YES! I AM LITERALLY DEAD! I waited 12 weeks for that kiss and then got up at 7:30am just so I could watch it the second Netflix uploaded the episode at 8:01.16-year-old me read those books and 24-year-old me is watching this show with 16-year-old me’s heart, okay?
- SENSE8 – in short, it’s about a group of people from different corners of the globe who find out they have a mental connection. most of them are low key queer, some of them are high key queer, it’s directed by two trans women, and it’s amazing. watch this scene. you’re welcome. it’s on Netflix.
- SHAMELESS – Shameless and I are on a break at the moment, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t love it and that Ian and Mickey are one of my All Times. they take (took… sob) over my life every Jan-April. they are BEYOND FRAUGHT, CONSTANTLY, but when they’re good… my god… oh no… my… hea a r r t t…
- EMPIRE – I am half way-ish through this show, so I can only speak to what I’ve seen so far. it’s basically about this HORRIBLE KNOBHEAD and the amazing women that, for some reason, seem to like him, and his wonderful sons that he does not deserve. one of them, Jamal, is GAY, and really loves to piss his dad off about it. it’s super great. oh, also, they’re all famous singers.
- BROAD CITY – the most hilarious and relatable show. one of the main characters, Ilana, is bisexual and super vocal about it. she’s also LEGIT in love with the other main character, Abby. I’m sorry, it’s undeniable. I’m fucking serious.
- PENNY DREADFUL – YOOO, THIS IS THE GOTHIC VICTORIAN MADCAP HORRORSHOW OF MY HEART! sorry for the spoilers, but the Romantic Hero, Ethan, the gunslinging, American werewolf in London, is a TENDER, HUNKY BISEXUAL, and he’s played by JOSH HARTNETT. what more do you need to know?
- BROOKLYN NINE NINE – hilarious and brilliantly diverse buddy cop comedy. you can’t not love it. it’s brilliant. it’s just so funny. I love Charles Boyle.
- STEVEN UNIVERSE – this is a show about a 12-year-old boy being raised by three lesbians, one of whom is two smaller lesbians in a trench coat. it’s AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL, and has legitimately made me SOB on a couple of occasions, because Pearl was in love with Rose and it’s everything. (I’m serious. UK Cartoon Network actually censored this show because it’s too gay. it’s my fave.) oh, and they’re alien rocks, but that’s nbd.
- ADVENTURE TIME – AT paved the way for shows like Steven Universe! I generally only watch it these days when Princess Bubblegum and Marceline do something GAY, which is WHENEVER THEY’RE ON SCREEN TOGETHER, because THEY WERE IN LOVE and USED TO DATE. there’s this whole thing that’s been going on with a shirt Marceline gave to PB and it’s been killing me for like 3 fucking years, man.
- ORPHAN BLACK – clones! gay clone! trans clone! ten billion amazing women, all played by Tatiana Maslany! Felix! Felix and the cute coroner! Felix and Tony! Delphine! [10,000 fire emojis]
- SKINS – Skins varied from being genuinely compelling and great television (season 1, season 3) to being HOT GARBAGE (everything post-s4), but, listen: Naomi and Emily. if I even mention them irl everyone who knew me aged 16 rolls their eyes like YES, LOTTIE, WE KNOW.
- TRUE BLOOD – straight up this show is BONKERS, but there are SO MANY QUEER CHARACTERS! they also take great joy in establishing rules early on (e.g. vampires and their makers have sexual relationships 99.9% of the time) and then being like, hey, look at Eric’s maker! or they’ll say ‘yeah, you have sex dreams about vampires when you drink their blood’ and then they don’t strategically forget that fact 6 seasons later. there’s a lot of Immortality Bisexuality and there’s also Lafayette, love of my goddamn life.
- THE MAGICIANS – so this show (and the book it’s based on) stole elements from every classic children’s fantasy you can think of and threw them all together in a story about hard-drinking, drug-taking, orgy-having, mentally ill twenty-somethings, and it’s great. wonderful Eliot is the Queer Char Of Note, but there’s also a surprise bisexual threesome, which you DO NOT EXPECT.
wow… okay. you can watch most of these on couchtuner.ag or Netflix, so… get on that, I guess. this seems like a weak ending. GO FORTH AND BE GAY! SPREAD THE AGENDA! HAVE A NICE CRY! THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS HERE YOU COULD FEASIBLY MASTURBATE TO!