In The Eye Abides The HeArt
FINALLY a great PLL episode. I have so many thoughts and theories about this one!
Make sure to enable pictures, they are critical to the theories. It gets better the further you read!!! Enjoy!
- I’ve said it many times, but I would really hate if there was twin reveal. This was the case with Courtney DiLaurentis in the book version, and its been done with Jessica and Mary DiLaurentis. It would be a cop-out to do it again, so i sincerely hope it doesn’t happen; but lets explore all the twin hints in this episode, because there were so many.
- ARIA- The first time AD FaceTimed Aria, it was just a hooded figure with a black face, but in this episode it was what looked to be Aria’s facial features on Paige’s face. Weird and off-putting
- SPENCER- Everyone is thinking and writing about this- but the Spencer we see at the airport with Wren was acting very suspicious. She also is not wearing the white jacket or watch she had on in the previous scene, nor is it draped over her chair. There are also girls wearing matching shirts in the background.
BUT I THINK THE FOLLOWING WAS THE BIGGEST TWIN CLUE OF THE EPISODE:
- ALISON- Alison says something VERY interesting when Paige asked her if she loved Emily. Ali says this about Emily, “She looks at you and sees who you really are. Maybe that’s the scariest part-You want to be who she sees.” The second she says this all I could think was WHAT IF IT IS SO SCARY BECAUSE YOU AREN’T THE REAL ALI BUT HER TWIN?! If this Alison that we have been seeing is in fact -lets call her Courtney- then maybe she is feeling remorseful because Emily has been so in love with Alison for so many years, and Courtney wishes she REALLY was Alison. Courtney has taken over Ali’s life but deep down she knows she isnt the real Alison DiLarentis. The title of this episode was “In The Eye Abides The Heart,” which could also connect to this theory. Emily is in love with Alison, and always has been. The person she is seeing now-looks like Alison, but it is really Courtney. But Emily doesn’t know this and believes its Ali because they are identical. Her EYES see who she believes is Alison, which causes her HEART to love her (even though its Courtney). IN THE EYE ABIDES THE HEART.
- I think the biggest reveal of this episode was that Archer Dunhill is not the father of Emily’s baby. So who is it???
- Charlotte- I am STILL holding out hope that CeCe is not the real Charles, but if she is, what if it was her sperm that she had frozen from before her sex change? She had her boyfriend Archer pretend to be a doctor, and had her cousin Alison implanted with Emily’s eggs and her own sperm. Her cousin gives birth to her baby as a surrogate- this would be the only way she could have a baby now because of her surgery. Even if she is dead now- Archer decided to continue with the plan even after her death so she could “live on.” Confusing and crazy but definitely possible in Rosewood.
- AD- I have been praying that AD is male, so maybe it is AD’s sperm. Why? Maybe AD is impotent, which is common for sociopaths and people who have severe mental illnesses. If AD is a relative of Alison, he is having his sister give birth to his child, using Emily’s eggs (not Alison’s eggs because of incest). It’s also a way to psychologically torture Emily&Ali as well- which he loves doing.
- Anonymous [Sperm] Donor (which is an AD anagram)- I also think it’s possible that Alison is still the manipulative bitch she has always been and stole Emily’s eggs and had someone implant them in her with a random sperm donor, as a way to bond her and Emily for life and get Paige out of the picture once and for all.
CAMP FOR TROUBLED BOYS
- So now we know that Lucas and Charles go WAY BACK. They attended the same camp together for troubled boys where Pastor Ted worked as a counselor since he is Charles’ father.
- Remember how Alison used to call Lucas “Hermie,” and say that he had both girl and guy parts? Sometimes babies are born with both male and female sex organs. What if Lucas was sent to this camp because he really is a hermaphrodite. (I just want to say as a side note that Marlene has not done a good job of portraying these sensitive subjects before (Charles as transgender and Emily as a lesbian) so I hope if they go this route it is done in a respectful and tasteful way)
- What if Lucas is Bethany Young??? Maybe that is his female persona.
- The A is very pronounced in Lucas’ signature.
- Lucas and Charles wrote and illustrated a comic book. I LOVED this reveal; it was CRAZY and really cool.
- Emily & Hanna summarize the comic book: “The hero is this boy who gets picked on by other kids and by his own family. He meets this alien woman in the woods and she becomes his protector. Shes this all powerful shape-shifter that helps get revenge for the boy- by torturing his enemies. And sometimes the boy turns into Arcturus, so he can experience the payback she gets for him.”
- There is a heavy metal band which goes by Arcturus. In 1997 they released “Master of Disguise” and in 2015 they released a song titled “Game Over”. (PLL.wikia)
- Charles used elements of the comic book in the Dollhouse:
- This obviously proves that Lucas is part of the A Team, and has been since (probably) the very beginning. But I dont think he is or has ever been Head A or AD.
- In comic books there is always a superhero and an alter ego.
- Batman is Bruce Wayne. Spider-Man is Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he’s Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man.
- Superman didn’t become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he’s Superman.
- His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red “S”, that’s the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that’s the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.
- Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He’s weak… he’s unsure of himself… he’s a coward. Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race. (kill bill)
- Look at how similar the boys comic book cover is to Superman’s comic book cover:
- They both have a yellow background and red lettering.
- They both wear a RED CAPE. Which is quite obviously a RED COAT parallel. Maybe this is AD’s homage to his comic book- putting his female A team members in a RED COAT, since his comic book protector wore a RED CAPE.
Now….who wears GLASSES?
Is TOBY our Clark Kent???? Is Toby AD?!
- Remember the scene a few episodes back when Spencer visits Toby in the hospital (Remember AD forced her to go. Which makes a lot of sense if Toby is AD) Toby says: “Maybe this town needs to disappear before we can leave”
Maybe that is Toby’s goal. If Toby is AD, maybe he needs to destroy everyone in Rosewood before he can move on with his life.
Then Spencer says, “You should probably try PUTTING ON YOUR GLASSES”
I wrote about this in a previous post but- Spencer says “We beat on, boats against the current.” Which is a quote from The Great Gatsby, and the “all seeing eye” billboard is the most famous imagery and symbolism from that book.
The title of the episode is “IN THE EYE ABIDES THE HEART.”
When Mona is studying the Board Game, she says that it was LOVINGLY HANDMADE with levers and pulleys. Its NOT a computer, its a construction project. Toby built the Game Board and the Dollhouse.
I think its seriously possible that Toby is our Clark Kent…sees himself as Superman. He is AD, Lucas & Charles’ avenger.