The ultimate packing list if you are going to study abroad this year
For many of us, the new school year/semester is coming very fast and very soon. For some of us, a new education year is nothing special - you just have to set the alarm clock back into ‘I have got to get up early’ mode and go to school, college, university or however you want to call it.
However, for some of us starting a new year means more. It is related to moving out of home sometimes into a new city or even into a new country. This is related to getting familiar in a new surrounding and starting a new life where you don’t know where to find the best coffee in town, how to ride the bus or how to speak the language (cheers to all langblrs out there ;) ).
For all of you who belong to the second type of people, I dedicate today’s post. Organizing all the things that are related to such a move and saying goodbye to all your loved ones needs enough energy. You should not spend your time thinking about all the items that you need to pack for the big journey. And for this reason, I provide you with the ultimate packing list if you are going to study abroad this year. If you’re missing something that you would never leave at home reblog this post and add your most important travel gadget/item!
With that being said, travel safely and pack wisely ;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Bath towels
- Face wash
- First-aid kit
- Flip-flops (in case you have to share your bathroom)
- Hair straightener (no hairdryer, buy it at your destination)
- Hand towels
- Makeup (eyeliner, mascara, foundation, blush etc.)
- Makeup remover
- Nail products (nail polish, clippers, file)
- Pain medication
- Travel-sized shampoo, lotion, deodorant)
- Alarm clock
- Decoration (e.g. pictures of your friends and family)
- Favorite pillow
- Mattress pad
- Sleeping mask
- All of your chargers
- Extension leads
- USB stick
Kitchen (buy this stuff at your destination)
- Favorite candy from home
- Kitchen scale
- Bujo or a traveller’s journal
- Driver’s licence
- Extra bags
- Financial aid information
- Important addresses
- Luggage tags with your contact details
- Medical insurance card
- Passport photos
- Travel details & confirmation
- Travel tickets
- Water bottle
- Wallet (Cash, coins and credit card)
- Sun protection
- Water-resistant boots
- Water-resistant jacket
- Accessories (few, please!)
- Sportswear and athletic shoes
- Sweat pants
- Before you overload all of your bags contact your university and try to find out which of the items they will provide. Perhaps there is something like a starter kit they offer so you do not have to carry bulky bed or kitchen items with you.
- Take only your favorite clothes with you. But there is this fancy dress that you own that one day could look so cool? Leave it at home. You won’t wear it. Period.
- Don’t take things with you that can be easily bought after your arrival. This includes hair dryers, kettles, flat irons, big bags, stationery, kitchen items etc.
- In case you want to travel with additional luggage ask your airline before your departure date regarding their conditions. There are airlines that offer an online check-in for your additional luggage or a pre registration. If you take advantage of such offers you can save a few coins.
- Don’t forget to make a (digital) copy of your most important documents and cards!