You don’t have to try to pass to deserve to be respected as a trans person
I saw a supposed “pride” tumblr state that if you aren’t trying to pass for any reason, then you can’t be trans or non-binary.
That is absolute bullshit.
There are so many reasons people might not try to pass.
- It might not be safe to present as your correct gender
- You might not be ready to come out and presenting as your correct gender would out you
- You might be too depressed to even put the effort into passing
- You might not be able to afford to buy new clothes/makeup/binders/etc
- Our concept of “passing” is based on white, western ideals and you may not be willing or able to conform to those ideals
- Some people fear they will never pass, and are too afraid to try
- If you’re non-binary, there’s no generally accepted way to “pass” as your gender, so what does passing even mean?
- Our popular concept of androgyny is based on thin, white, de-feminized ideals, something that many of us cannot conform to
- You may be rebelling against the concept of “passing,” and refusing to conform to norms
And a million other reasons.
Respect a person’s gender, always, whether or not they are trying to “pass.”