1. It passes the Bechdel test.
2. The women selected as candidates for the Kingsmen are never treated as lesser possibilities because they’re women.
3. Gazelle. The character was male in the comics, and is female in the film.
4. Gazelle is also a badass double amputee character.
5. Neither Gazelle nor Roxy are there to be eye candy or love interests. They aren’t oversexualised, they’re not shoved in revealing clothing, they’re there to do a job and they do it damn well.
6. FREE. BIRD. SOLO. (Trust me, the second that solo kicks in, you are in for one hell of a treat).
7. Harry Hart’s KILLER verbal takedown of a member of a hate church.
8. This is more a matter of personal opinion, but I personally saw Harry as a homoromantic asexual. I got a vibe about his feelings for Jack Davenport’s character, but there was also a strong ace feeling about him.
These are just the things I generally see Tumblr clamouring for in film, but on top of all this, it’s just one of the most fun movies I have seen in YEARS. I haven’t enjoyed a movie this much since Guardians of the Galaxy, and to be honest, I think I enjoyed this even more.
Are there issues with it? Well I can think of one part which might be seen as unnecessary and horrible. I personally saw it as a cheeky nod to James Bond and his womanising ways, but others may see it differently.
Basically, you need to see this movie, it is absolutely brilliant and I’m going to be raving about it for ages. It’s out now in the UK, so go give it a watch and squee with me. I believe it’s out the same time as 50 Shades of Grey in the US, and it’s a far better option for that weekend, so go see it and squee with me when you have!