smartphone-usage

If you can’t beat it, join it {That is, if you can}

According an article published by USA Today,  on average 51% of teens own a smartphone and because of this, teachers are now thinking of new and creative ways to incorporate smart tech into their lesson plans.

I know when I was in high school, we would get in trouble if our phones even so much as rang in class, but since the emergence and prevalence in smartphone usage among teens, some school districts are changing their tune. More likely than not, teachers are taking the “if you can’t beat it, join it” approach, however, smartphones do present great learning opportunities to students. With portable internet access, students can do more in their classrooms than ever before, from researching to note taking to collaborating with classmates to playing educational games. 

Though, if we examine the statistic above, 51% of students owning smartphones is only half an average student population. So what about the other 49% of students? While their peers may be using their phones to improve their learning experience, how do the rest of them get their work done?

 While it is highly beneficial to use high tech solutions in the classroom to fully engage students and meet them where they live, it is possible that introducing the use of smart tech into classrooms could further expand the technology gap, an already large issue in our society. For students without access, underprivileged or otherwise, this situation can place students behind their peers, simply because they don’t have access to the information in a quick or simple enough way. There is already issues with students not having access to computers to do homework, let alone not having a smartphone to do classwork. The technology gap has the potential to widen here, especially starting it with kids as young as middle school. 

The most ideal solution to this problem is to provide students with all the tools necessary to succeed in the classroom, however it may not be a realistic option. Hopefully teachers learn to get as creative with ensuring students success as they do with their smartphone enabled lesson plans.

Watch on benepla.tumblr.com

things that had to happen in order for this vine to exist

  • john green had to quit his original ambition of being a pastor to become a young adult writer, then start making videos online to get a considerable following, boosting the sales and recognition of his book the fault in our stars, which had the quote “maybe okay could be our always. okay? okay.”
  • destin conrad had to get reasonably popular on vine for about a year or two and slowly generate a camera angle, comedy style, etc. niche aesthetic to his vine
  • the term “booty flakes” had to be popularized, most likely from either a) not wiping enough or b) eating ass. both eating ass and not wiping your ass contributed to this piece of art.
  • vine had to be created, which was basically a reaction to both instagram (which at the time didn’t have videos) and youtube, as well as regular phone usage.
  • smartphones had to enter the collective conciousness in order to support such an app
  • phones had to be invented by alexander graham belle
  • louis de prince had to capture the first moving image ever recorded, and then subsequently fall off the face of the earth, causing a scramble for the rights to who owned the true title to father of the digital recording and letting it progress in such an odd timeline
  • booty flakes