This time tomorrow I will be on my way to Iceland. My calendar alert just went off letting me know I’m leaving. I guess that means it’s official. The countdown that felt like it could go on forever is finally over. I should probably start packing, but in my usual style I’m waiting until the night before my very, very early flight.
It’s not that I dislike packing. I actually really enjoy it because it means another adventure is around the corner, a new opportunity to meet people and see places I’ve only heard of. It also makes me go into cleaning mode. My gear bags get emptied and reorganized, old boarding passes that were stuffed into pockets get one last reminiscent look and tossed in the trash, receipts from copious cups of coffee get crumpled up, and so on.
One of the items that goes wherever I go is my backpack. It might sound silly, but it’s basically an extension of myself. It serves as my purse, my photo pack, my lake bag, my snowboard carry, my survival kit, or as I like to call it my Mary Poppins bag. When I asked for it as a birthday gift almost three years ago I had no idea how many miles it would travel with me and how many memories it would hold.
Since my backpack is also one of my favorite things to go through and clean out before a big trip, I thought I would share what’s inside. So here it goes… a peak at the items that can be found in my pack on any and most every day…
1. Laptop. Transferring and editing photo files from anywhere is important to me.
2. iPhone. Probably the single best tool almost everyone has within reach.
3. iPad. It weighs and takes up less space than carrying around my reading books.
4. GoPro. Having a camera that is so small and versatile is awesome.
5. Olloclip. It’s a 4-in-1 iPhone lens that I most recently fell in love with.
6. Journal. The actual act of writing pen to paper should never be lost. It’s nice to step away from technology. Try it.
7. Knife. They’re just good to have around. Plain and simple.
8. Multitool. Again they’re good to have around.
9. Headlamp. Reading, camping, or walking back from a sunset hike to the beach in Nicaragua…they rock.
10. Mini First-Aid Kit/Disney Princess Band-aids. You never know.
11. Hand/Face Wipes. I tend to spill stuff on a daily basis. Plus, between time spent in airports and long car rides they help you feel a little less gross.
12. Earbuds and Earplugs. Crying babies, snoring neighbors, and good tunes.
13. USB Drive. Sharing files without Dropbox.
14. Pens, Pencils, Sharpies. They pair nicely with my journal. Or airplane napkins.
15. Chargers. Powering my life one electronic device at a time.
16. Surf Key. Removing fins from boards is hard to do without it.
17. Boat Drain Plug. Sucks when you’re launching the boat and forgot about that one. I have an extra now.
18. Sunscreen. Put it on. I sound like my mom.
19. Dramamine. Whether you’re on the water or just generally nauseous and want to sleep through your flight.
20. Koozies. They’re always helpful.
21. Bobby Pins. I’m a girl. But they can be multi-purpose.
22. Deodorant. Be kind to your neighbors.
23. Change/Coins. Nice for toll roads or coffee tips. Just found some in a pocket from Canada, Nicaragua and the U.S.
24. Deck of Cards. Can’t go wrong.
25. Snacks. Right now it’s my favorite Pink Lady apple.
26. Nalgene. Having an indestructible water bottle is necessary for me. Plus, it holds 32 oz at a time.
Since it’s now empty it would probably be a good idea for me to start repacking it along with some clothes and my camera gear. But let’s be real it’s only lunch time and it’s pretty outside.
Be on the lookout for some photos from my time in Iceland with Under30Experiences! Here we go.