Aw, questions! :) tagged by andtotheclearnorthernskies.
1. Always post the rules.
2. Answer the questions of the person who tagged you and write 11 new ones.
3. Tag 11 new people and link them to the post.
4. Let them know you’ve tagged them.
1. What should you be doing right now, instead of procrastinating here?
Emailing my university, calling Centrelink, calling my old real estate agent, writing to Paulie, tidying my bedroom, mountains of things. Whoops.
2. What mutant (think X-Men) power would you have?
To be capable of transforming into any animal at will would be wondrous, especially if it allowed communication also. To fly as birds do, and swim with whales, and see forests of kelp as a sea-snail, or grass (or trees!) as an ant. If only, right?
3. Favourite time period in history?
Gosh! umm, to study, probably Bronze-Age Mesopotamia. I also love Roman History, and post-Roman Britain is fascinating. The history of the development of Sufism is wonderful, although it crosses a fair few time periods. And of course the Romantic era, for its beauty and its wistfulness and its poetry and its wildness. :)
4. Favourite accent (e.g. British, Australian, etc.)?
Um, British is pretty cute. (And I’m definitely loving that ‘Australian’ is an example.) Also South African, and Kiwi.
5. What is your favourite scent and why?
Horses, when they’ve just finished working and you hug them and your nose is against their necks and they’re all damp and warm. Hay. The ocean, always but especially after a big storm. Wild freesias. Libraries.
6. If you could speak any foreign language in the world, what would it be?
Arabic! So much to read! And useful for any future in international relations, too.
7. Do you believe in capital punishment?
Morally, no. If asked to vote on it, absolutely no. Emotionally, yes, if the crime is proven beyond any doubt and the person who committed the crime is unable to be kept from endangering others. But it’s too dangerous a path to take, what if an innocent is accidentally hurt? And no-one should have that much power over another’s life.
I’m a fan of rehabilitation over punishment or incarceration. But if someone hurt or threatened someone I loved I know I would struggle to allow them to remain a threat, if I was capable of ensuring otherwise, so I empathise with the idea.
8. The song lyrics which always get stuck in your head?
'Symphonic' by Emm Gryner is a big one - “When all the sun shines down on you, / everyone's a lie but you're so true, / you're symphonic you're the light of the moon / how could I forget you?”
Also ‘Shattered’ by Trading Yesterday - “There’s a light, there’s a sun / taking all the shattered ones / to the place we belong / and (this) love will conquer all.”
I more often have poems running through my head than songs. Banjo Patterson’s ‘The Man From Snowy River’, the last few stanzas of ‘The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock’ by T. S. Eliot, ‘See How They Love Me’ by Howard Moss, fragments of ‘Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage’ by Lord Byron, are all pretty common. I often recite poetry in my mind to calm myself down if I’m upset. :)
9. Do you like spicy food?
Yes, momma used to cook spicy food a lot when I was younger. I’d have friends come stay who weren’t expecting it and they’d drink lots and lots of water and eat more yoghurt than dinner, and it would leave me pretty confused because I didn’t realise that you build up a tolerance. I don’t tend to cook spicy food for myself, though. In general I prefer fruit to just about everything, I like sweet foods mostly. :)
10. What was the last movie you watched?
The new Jane Eyre film, from 2011, with Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska and Holliday Grainger. It was very beautiful and extremely well acted and the cinematography was at times quite exquisite.
11. How is the weather right now?
Glorious. Clear and blue and warm and the sea is bottle-green and all the birds are out playing in the sunlight. It will be a clear night and because it’s father’s day mum and I are going to pack dinner and a big thermos and go sit on our favourite hill in the bush for a while under the stars, I hope. If we finish the cleaning. (:
1. What is your favourite place in the world? Why?
2. Would you prefer to learn to skydive, or hang/paraglide? Or neither? Why?
3. The last thing about a person that took your breath away?
4. Favourite children’s book/series?
5. Something that recurs in your dreams?
6. Scrabble or chess?
7. Something you do that is comforting?
8. Do you prefer sleeping alone, or curled up with someone?
9. When was the last time you got really, really dirty. (Like, covered in mud or seaweed or something dirty, come on guys.) What were you doing? Was it worth it?
10. What was the last thing that made you laugh properly?
11. If you could learn a new skill, with all lessons paid for by a kindly and mysterious benefactor (but no immediate magical talents, you’d have to learn properly) what would it be?
If I love you and know your tumblr, you’re probably tagged. :)
Seriously, if you know me in person and you’re not tagged, I probably don’t know you’re following me. Let me know? x
Also, like this and/or tag me if you bother redoing it? Questions are fun! :)