I haven’t been able to watch episodes to confirm this but… does Sam ever really talk about the environment and her activism much after she’s possessed by Undergrowth in Urban Jungle?
Like, I’m not at all sure that this is supported by canon, but I got the image in my head of Sam who really really dislikes nature no matter how much she wants to love it and take comfort in it and protect it like she used to.
So the plant loving recyclovegetarian is still her image and she hates to back peddle on anything because it destroys her credibility and the worth of the cause she knows is still good but she just… can’t carry on with it herself even though she tries to pretend for a while.
- Sam who shivers when she touches plants.
- Wants to yank the corsage off her wrist before she even steps into the family limo to go to prom.
- Avoids rooms in their house where her mother has arranged elaborate vases of flowers. Even the fake ones.
- Dumps the bouquet of black roses in the trash as soon as she gets home after her date with Danny because he didn’t know better and it was a sweet gesture but she can’t stand the sight or the smell of them.
- Refuses to take wreaths to cemeteries when her parents go to pay their respects to deceased relatives.
- Sam whose plants in windowsills, the corners of her room, and their mansion’s greenhouse won’t die even when she “forgets” to water them. Refuse to wither even when she douses them with weed killer.
- Vines trail up to wrap around her bedroom window and seep into the cracks no matter how much the gardener tries to prune them back.
- Flowers thriving along her walkway to school and her usual hangouts. Even in the middle of winter.
- Sam being able to hear whispers when the breeze blows through the treetops.
- Not being able to explain any of it. Or understand it.
- Thinking it’s stupid and silly and beneath her even when she wakes in a cold sweat dreaming about voices and vines and her sweet children and things she forgets a moment later once she’s had a chance to calm down.
Sam being scared of plants after Undergrowth and hating hating hating it