So, the original sculpt is definitely worse for wear (totally expected), and so far I’ve used 5 million gallons of silicone, but I made it over the initial moldmaking hurdle! One or more of these could still end up being bad, but I can use them as waste molds at the very least. Hopefully I’ll have some resin casts to show off soon!
A Pureblood Firehawk commission I made for a friend a long time ago. I found these pictures again today. I gave him away as soon as it was finished, and I kinda forgot about it.
Overall it’s kinda bulky and looks a little off, but the interesting bit is the use of silicone to imitate the flaming body. This took a long time to do, and it was challenging to make it dry in the right shape, since it takes time for it to dry, and gravity, you know.
And the sculpture was pretty small :P
But it was fun! just paint over it when it is dry and you can have a transparent flame like finish!
As i try to improve now i will try more materials to experiment with :D
(I am on a little vacation now so I don’t have anything new, but soon more will come)
I sculpted and casted Lion from Steven Universe for keychains! :) I will be doing many more characters from animation, movies.etc These still need to be drilled clean, keychains attached, and painted.
What do you think?
Finally getting around to uploading this! This was for our good friend, amazing artist and fellow (former) coworker, Nate Simpson. Nate designed this adorable character, and with the support of all the awesome folks at work, I was able to make him into a squishy foam toy (which, I admit, was something I was dying to see since I first saw Nate’s design so.. dream fulfilled!)
Here are the steps for those who are interested:
First, he was modeled in Zbrush. This is the final model:
(Click for Interactive Turntable)
I used Shapeways for the 3D print. I had the body, the eyes, the fingernails and the toenails all printed separately. This is the body, which is hollow on the inside– the shell is about 3mm thick. (sorry for the poor quality)
First, I tried to do a latex mold, but it didn’t end up curing properly and was too soft in some parts. This is the first coat, but I did about 10, total. It took about 4 days, doing 2-3 layers each day and letting them dry in between.
Oh well. Lesson learned, I made the 2nd mold out of oomoo 30 silicone by placing the model upside down in a flower pot and pouring the silicone around it. Next, I made a cast out of Flex Foam-IT V polyurethane foam which I mixed with So-Strong polyurethane red dye. I got all this stuff from Smooth-on.com! There was a ton of stuff I ended up sticking into the silicone mold while I was making it in order to displace it enough to rise to the appropriate level on the model, so that’s the explanation for all the knives, pens etc. that you can see sticking out of the sides. The foam itself is just messy because it goes in as a liquid and then expands something like 6-8 times its volume.
I ended up doing this twice because the first cast had a few flaws where the CO2 bubbles from the foam had formed holes in certain parts of the model. That’s okay, though. I was able to make the 2nd one a more appropriate color of red, and ended up being able to use the first cast as a test subject :) (from left to right: original 3D print (with silicone stuck to the insides), first attempt foam cast, final foam cast)
And they’re squishy! (this is my test cast)
In the mean time, I was painting the nails and eyeballs. I had these made out of the same white 3D printed plastic that the body was. (I actually had the toenails being shipped separately so they weren’t here for the picture ;) ) I used blue and black nail polish and a couple coats of clear top coat for glossiness!
I painted the foam body using red and white fabric paint
Finally, I fitted the nails and eyes into the foam and secured with super glue. Tada!
Hope you enjoyed! Happy Birthday Nate, thanks for being awesome and thanks to everyone who helped make this possible :)