YoI Head-Canon Dump
The Yuri!!! On Ice Wing!fic AU that I will never write but love the idea of far too much to not think about the kinds of wings each would have:
- Yuuri’s wings are mostly a soft brown, with a white bar across his upper wing and black streaks decorating his flight feathers. The underside of his wings are a creamy tan speckled with darker brown. They are very similar to his mother’s and likened to that of a common house sparrow.
- As with most things he’s a little self-conscious about them as they are a common color and shape, nothing he sees as spectacular or showy, especially for someone in a sport like figure skating.
- The only thing unusual about them is that, unlike most people Yuuri’s age, his wings never really sleeked out but, for some reason, kept a certain downy softness to them.
- Again, Yuuri found this somewhat embarrassing as down feathers are supposed to be a thing of childhood, but Phichit often assured him that it’s not weird and, in fact, very nice to touch and cuddle.
- Yuuri has had a lot of trouble with fans randomly reaching out to touch his wings ever since Phichit posted this fact on all of his social media accounts.
- Victor loves Yuuri’s wings. Of course, he loves most things about Yuuri, but his wings are soft and cuddly and warm and Victor loves when Yuuri lets him groom them as it’s like running his fingers through a cloud.
- Yuuri has had a lot less trouble with fans touching his wings ever since Victor showed up to glare at anyone who dared. Yuuri still hasn’t caught him at it, but has seem the dozens of pictures Victor likes to post.
- His wings are silver, because of course they are. Out of the sun they look simply white, but when the light catches them, they glint silver, almost tricking the eye into believing the feathers are sharp enough to cut if touched.
- They’ve always been a benefit to his career, as flashy and bright as Victor himself, magazines loving to run full spread center pieces showing the size and swan-like shape, comparing him to an angel, even though Victor finds this cheesy and overdone.
- Victor likes them, but sometimes finds them a little too distinct, drawing attention even when he doesn’t want it. It becomes another reason he loves Hasetsu, because the Katsukis are much more practiced in discretion and seem to genuinely like having him and not just because of his celebrity.
- Yuuri happens to know they feel like cool silk, sleek and smooth. They are a bit larger than average, though, and Victor sometimes has trouble grooming and cleaning them by himself, so Yuuri helps. Yuuri is unreasonably good at this and Victor has never been such putty in anyone’s hands.
- Victor’s wings are somewhat more water resistant than normal and once shielded Yuuri from some unexpected rain they were caught in, because the other’s softer wings tended to take a while to dry. Yuuri’s blush was absolutely adorable.
- Yuri is still young and growing, so his wings aren’t yet at their full length. The color is striking, though, similar to a golden oriole with bright yellow giving way starkly to mostly black streaked with white.
- They sleeked out early in his career, which he was glad of, almost all of his soft downy feathers having molted away. Except the stubborn patches in his under wing that seem determined to stay. Mila called it “cute” once and Yuri’s kept his wings tucked to his back as much as possible until the last of it sheds (hopefully).
- He actually wishes they were completely black because it’s not only more badass, but, as he said when he was twelve, “so that they’ll match my dark soul.” Neither Victor nor Mila have ever let him live this down.
- However, Victor has mentioned off-handedly that the gold of his wings would look lovely with a gold-medal and even though Yuri rolled his eyes at the time (”Oh, well, I guess you should only get silver medals then?”), it made him a little more appreciative of the splash of color.
- Along with “Katsudon” Yuri has dubbed Japanese Yuuri “Mother Hen” for various reasons. The main one being that, like a lot of people, Yuri (secretly) thinks Yuuri’s wings are very nice and soft and after a bit of hissing and spitting at first, Yuri actually lets Yuuri help him groom. As Victor says, he is quite good at it. And doesn’t say anything when you fall asleep on the couch during it and drool a little.
This head-canon dump got rather longer than I thought it would, so let’s call this Part 1. Feel free to message if there is anyone in particular you’d like to see next! Or add your own?
Otherwise, I was planning to do Phichit, Minami, and Mila next.