Advice to people thinking about reading Captive Prince Trilogy
If you ask, go straight to blogs that like Captive Prince. Side blogs and things like that.
1. We have read all THREE of the books and know the deeper meanings and arguments of why the book isn’t shitty
2. I can tell you for sure that people who hate Captive Prince have not read the books. Only judged it by its cover or only read some (maybe finished) the first book).
3. The Captive Prince Trilogy is not meant to be read as only one book. If you read just the first you won’t understand any of the characters and get a severe misrepresentation of the rest of the trilogy. (I.e. Think the books are about a racist bitchy white boy who rapes men) (it’s not)
4. Please notice that most post against Captive Prince only say things like “it’s so fucking nasty bc it’s racist and thinks rape is sexy” or similar things. They never have actual arguments and again I PROMISE they have not completed the whole series.
5. This trilogy is beautiful. It’s slow burn and when the relationship is forming nothing truly happens without a trusting bond and consensual touches. It’s about forgiveness (not just The slave, Damen, there is a bigger piece than that), understanding others, betrayal, loss of innocence, growing up too fast, learning to trust again, grey areas, sacrifices, and like a million other beautiful things.
6. These characters are written as if they were real people who suffered actual terrible traumatic experiences. Of course there is going to be “problematic characters” but problematic is the stupidest thing on this site cause literally everything is and it should only be used as little jokes (this applies for everything).
7. If you see someone hating on Captive Prince and you haven’t read it, whether you want to or not, don’t ask that person. They won’t give a serious or straight answer and since they didn’t read the books they won’t be able to be detailed about it. If you are truly curious go to someone who likes captive Prince and ask them Why People Don’t Like It. They can give a thorough explanation of why, and then give you an argument and actual evidence of why it’s not like that and just severely misinterpreted.
Captive Prince is amazing and you gotta push through book one and then see a whole new outlook on an incredible political slowburn adventure. Don’t just Judge the series by book one. You’re meant to fall in love with it slowly, that’s how life is with people sometimes. So do so. Get angry with the characters, disgusted, and horrified. But push through those walls and I promise you’ll understand, you’ll forgive. And those books will become a permanent place in your heart.