Richard Keller’s Typographycsis all about fonts. Rather than using text to simply convey information or describe an image, Keller gives letter forms the spotlight. This volume exemplifies the importance of typography in the book arts.
Post submitted by Shira Loev Eller, Art + Design Librarian
can you rec any books with lesbian protags, but like fantasy/adventure? i'm not really into slice of life/coming of age books unless they're done really well, but i feel like there are no wlw ya fantasy books. if you've already answered this would you mind linking me?
Ah same here, fantasy and adventure are my fave genres and most of my favourite wlw books are fantasy. They include:
* Mangoverse series - Shira Glassman. High fantasy with dragons about a young nerdy lesbian queen, her bi girlfriend and later wife, and the other members of their found family.
* Ash - Malinda Lo. High fantasy with faeries, f/f retelling of Cinderella.
* Huntress - Malinda Lo. High fantasy with faeries, pseudo prequel to Ash, two girls go on an epic quest to save the kingdom and fall in love along the way. They don’t end up together though neither dies.
* Otherbound - Corinne Duyvis. Paranormal high fantasy about switching between worlds.
* Seraphina - Rachel Hartman. High fantasy with dragons set in an Anglo-Celtic type of world.
* Engelsfors series - Sara B. Elfgren and Mats Strandberg. Urban fantasy about a group of girls with witchy powers.
Ones I haven’t read or haven’t finished
* The Legend Mirror series - Saruuh Kelsey. Urban fantasy with mythological creatures.
* The Glass Republic - Tom Pollock. Urban fantasy about an alternative London where inanimate objects come alive.
* Unicorn Tracks - Julia Ember. Urban fantasy, about two girls hunting unicorns.
* Of Fire and Stars - Audrey Coulthurst. High fantasy about a princess who falls in love with the girl who’s supposed to be her future sister-in-law, plus lots of horseriding.
* Brooklyn Brujas series - Zoraida Córdova. Urban fantasy based on Ecuadoran folklore.
* The Impostor Queen series - Sarah Fine. High fantasy with political intrigue.
* Tripping to Somewhere - Kristopher Reisz. Urban fantasy with faeries and a road trip.
* Bluebell Hall - Kayla Bashe. Urban fantasy, boarding school for witches.
* Deadly Sweet Lies - Erica Cameron. Urban fantasy with demons, about teens having powers.
* The Dark Wife - Sarah Diemer. Sapphic retelling of Hades and Persephone.
* Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins - Emma Donoghue. Short story retellings of various fairytales, all sapphic.
* The Halvarian Ruin Books series - Sara Gaines. High fantasy with political intrigue.
* Elemental Logic series - Laurie J. Marks. High fantasy with a warrior woman.
* Daybreak Rising - C. K. Oliver. High fantasy about a chosen one who fails her task.
* Chameleon Moon series - RoAnna Sylver. High fantasy about people with magical powers.
* When Women Were Warriors series - Catherine M. Wilson. High fantasy set in the Stone Age.
* Graveyard Sparrow - Kayla Bashe. Urban historical fantasy about detective ladies.
* Screaming Down Splitsville - Kayla Bashe. Urban fantasy, set in the 1950s about people with magical powers.
* The Quiet Ones - Ellen Goodlett. Urban fantasy based on Hawaiian folklore.
* Tiffany and Tiger’s Eye - Foxglove Lee
* We Awaken - Calista Lynne. Urban fantasy about magical dreams.
* Marian - Ella Lyons. Urban fantasy, sapphic retelling of Robin Hood.
* About A Girl - Sarah McCarry. Urban fantasy with Greek mythology.
* A History of Glitter and Blood - Hannah Moskowitz. Urban fantasy with faeries.
* As I Descended - Robin Talley. Urban fantasy with ghosts, boarding school retelling of Macbeth.
* Shallow Graves - Kali Wallace. Urban fantasy with zombies.
Hey guys! I just wanted to say, I don’t know how much I’ll be around this week because I’m on vacation with my family! We’re at the beach in the Outer Banks (it’s so gorgeous i’m so glad we’re here) and this time we brought one of our dogs (Shira)! It’s her first time at the beach, and she did so well! We brought her today for a while, and yesterday was mostly driving, which is why I’ve been quiet! I’ll upload pics from today when we brought her to the beach and everything, but that’ll probably be tomorrow when I’m not so tired!
But here, in the meantime, have a pic of her sleeping in the car on the way down!