i expected to do a rundown of book reviews before school starts but i didn’t read anything during vacation. i half-blame kdramas. i half-blame the burnt out feeling i experienced when the semester concluded. there’s that, and i’m really sorry for my main blog because it has been neglected this holiday season even if i promised i wouldn’t put it aside anymore. i’m so bad at keeping up with it.
nonetheless, i want to share some thoughts i have about some kdramas i watched (and finished) this holiday season because i loved a bunch of them and i just want to talk about them.
1. W: Two Worlds- the first one I decided to binge-watch. the chemistry between the characters of this drama was A++ also, i took interest in it because of the world it promised in its synopsis. nonetheless, it didn’t disappoint. everything in this drama was obviously so well-though of. although i’m not a fan of the female lead character, i loved kang chul’s character and that was enough to keep watching the drama till the end. i tackled this drama expecting a romantic love story but it isn’t much of that because it’s really action and suspense packed. anyway, i realized that too late to turn back from my interest in the world in this drama. 4.5/5
2. Cheese in the Trap- the setting of this drama is just so relatable because the characters are in college. kim go eun is an acting goddess. hats off for both park hae jin and lee sung kyung. nam joo hyuk is an adorable human once more. this drama had great acting and a great story rolled into one. it would only seem light at first but the story gradually becomes darker as it progresses. this drama gets your mind working because of how it drops its foreshadowing and all that so you know that this is a well thought out story. 7/5
3. Oh My Ghostess- this one only started to hook me around the middle part. but i’ll say it was great to watch. i was sincerely rooting for park bo young’s character that i didn’t fancy the parts with kim seul gi’s character possessing her and seducing jo jung suk’s character– and that’s quite a lot of parts. that doesn’t mean i hated kim seul gi in this, it’s just that i really, really wanted to see things work for chef sun woo and bong sun. this show, nonetheless, challenged park bo young, obviously, because she was technically doing two roles in one drama. and she did a great job!! also, it’s impossible to not fall in love with jo jung suk who was every second lovable and adorable in this drama. i also discovered another favorite actor in this drama which is kwak si yang. 4.9/5
(everyone needs a kwak si yang smile in their life. also, because the next kdrama i’m going to mention has si yang in it)
4. Second to Last Love- adult romance and family drama. not a lot of people know about this drama but apparently, it aired the same time as scarlet heart ryeo and jealousy incarnate in SBS. i watched this just because of the promise that kwak si yang is in this drama. and he is!! kim seul gi being an amazing actress in this and sharing the screen with kwak si yang is a big bonus. i fell in love with him during oh my ghostess and i looked for dramas where he acts in and this is one of them. he’s the second lead in this drama and he did a terrific job in it. i’m a new fan!! anyways, this drama isn’t the usual thing to watch if you’re looking for oppas with hot bods to scream about. it’s a feel-good drama with plot twists so it’s not boring and not very light either. this is the quality and kind of drama that i hope filipino family dramas would achieve. even if it has a sad, dark back story, it is still relatable which makes it speak to audience. 3.8/5
4. Cinderella and the Four Knights- the title should be enough warning if you’re not into common and overused storylines. it already has cinderella on it so you already know what to expect right?? the story seriously reminded me of wattpad stories where a mistreated, poor, golden hearted girl’s life turns around 360 degrees because she meets this rich old man who lets her live with his super handsome and super bratty heirs. it just saddened me that it’s the case because jung il woo and park so dam who were both great actors. i think their acting was what really pulled me into finishing this series. eitherway, the other characters were too simple in a black and white way too so that didn’t impress me. i gave this drama a chance because i wanted to see if they’ll do something innovative with the cinderella concept but no. it wasn’t what i got. i continued watching it nonetheless because the acting was good, and i was looking forward to the happy ending of this drama that’s why i kept watching it. 2.5/5
some other stuff i’d like to mention:
-hwarang is still on going but i am loving it so far!! i can tell it will go down as a great story, especially with the interesting historical setting. on the leads, even if i love park seo joon being sun woo so much, i’m kind of rooting for park hyung sik’s character, sam maek jong. also, the other boys are adorable characters as well.
-pls go ahead and watch weightlifting fairy kim bok joo. it didn’t really get the rating it deserved during its run but it has a promising story and great characters and talented actors. this is a very light but very well thought of drama. i talked about it on this blog a couple of times already and you’re probably tired of me saying it but go anead and marvel at the beautiful lee sung kyung and nam joo hyuk.
-goblin is a huge hit because it has a stellar cast, a stellar concept and a stellar story. i think it rose to popularity because of the leads but it is so much more than that. i’m looking forward to seeing more of this drama. huge bonus if you like aesthetically pleasing shows. i know a lot of kdramas have pretty cinematography but this one is just one of the best i have ever seen. i will always give this one a 10/10.