Tree Bros Neighbors AU
(Another late night and another crap ton of head cannons)
- Their windows are directly across from each other, so they can literally see into each others rooms.
- They both think of each other as “The cute guy next door” But neither are willing to admit it.
- Evan knows all of Connor little quirks and habits, like how he leaves on a night light, how he listens to classical music to fall asleep, how he can see him putting his hair in a pony tail then taking it out and then repeating the method until he gets it “right”.
- Connor knows that Evan has trouble sleeping some nights, so he leaves him a classical music playlist on an old iPod beside his bed table labeled “Evan sleep, you’re welcome”. (yes, Connor broke into Evans house)
- Connor has see Evan come home crying on multiple occasions after hard days at work or school, he starts to comfort Evan and offer his advice.
- Connor sees Evan shirtless all the time, he loves his little back freckles.
- He also knows that Evan wears star wars pajamas to bed, (which honestly is the cutest thing)
- They start having regular convos about each others day while leaning through their windows at night.
- One time, after a particularly rough day, they have a secret slumber party. Connor basically just spent the night comforting the panicked Evan who doesn’t feel safe alone (moms out of town)
- Evan and Connor continue to sneak into each others rooms just to chill and talk, its a lot more comfortable to sit down then lean out your window for an hour
- Evan loves to braid Connor’s hair, Connor has no idea how he knows and one night he asks, turns out Evan used to have a padawan braid as a kid.
- Evan literally meets Connor in his room after he heard Connor’s parents screaming to each other over dinner about Connor’s mental health. A hug was never more needed
- They fiiiiinaly have their first kiss in Evans room, after he said he needed help with something to get Connor to come over.
- “You bastard, i knew their wasn’t a problem”
“Yeah! when you’re lying your ears get all red”
“You can see that from your room?”
“I have good vision”
- They date, but in secret cause Connor knows his parents will hate their relationship.
- Evans mom catches them together one morning after Connor spent the night there after a particularly bad panic attack.
- She rolls with it, but she invited Connors fam for dinner
- It goes about as well as Connor expected
- Zoe is just excited for them, saying that her brother has had a crush on Evan since they were kids.
- Cynthia is okay, a little confused at how she didn’t notice, bit okay that her baby is gay/bi
- Larry tho…
- “I knew you were up to something, Cynthia you have to realize this isn’t healthy. I mean, the last thing he needs is a boyfriend.. especially that boy”. “Larry this isn’t the time..” “Its his depression, he’s confused!”
- Connor’s dad threatens to move, Cynthia actually has wanted to move so she doesn’t bother fighting it. Zoe and Connor on the other hand-
- “We can’t move! I just made a… friend..”
“Oh! Is that all Evan is Connor? Didn’t you just say he was your-”
“I don’t know Dad!”
“Well, for someone who is in love.. thats not a good thing to say.”
- Over the summer, Connor gets sent away to a camp to “help” him with his sexuality and depression. Mostly just to be sent away from Evan
- Evan sent letters to him after Cynthia helped him find the P.O. address, but Connor never replies.
- When he gets back, they’re both so distant…
- Evan had the whole “tree thing” while Connor was away.
- “What happened to your arm?” “You’d know if you read my letters?” “What letters?” “I sent you over 30 Connor, did you read any of them?” “No… I-” “forget it..”
- T H E G R E A T B R E A K U P O F 2 0 1 7
- Evan and Connor keep their blinds shut for awhile.
- Finally, Evan opens his. Ready to talk to Connor and see hows he’s doing.
- Connors room is dark..
- ITS NEVER DARK BECAUSE OF THE NIGHTLIGHT
- Evan climbs over to Connor’s room to see if he’s okay, its midnight, Evan is freaking out until he find the body.
- C O N N O R D I E D
- HE TELLS THE MURPHY’S WHAT HAPPEN AND AT FIRST THEY BLAME EVAN BUT THEN EVAN IS JUST SOBBING SO THEY START TO CRY TOO CAUSE THEIR PRECIOUS BABY IS GONE
- “He wouldn’t be dead if i didn’t send him away Cynthia!”
“Larry please its not your fault!”
“It is.. he was getting better, with Evan.. I tore them apart.. Its.. It my fault”
- F U N E R A L
- Evan is sitting in Connor’s room one night (he gets permission to do that now) and he looks over where the nightlight usually is.
- There’s a note
“Dear Evan Hansen, Im sorry. Im sorry i cut you out of my life, I’m sorry i let me parents do it. The truth is, you don’t deserve me, you don’t deserve the mess that i am… You deserve the best Evan. I hope you'll understand the reason i did what i did.. I opened my window and waited for you Evan, I waited for you to open yours. But you didn’t, and I’m glad. Im glad you can continue with your life, safely. I read your letters that you sent, i needed to talk to you and make sure you were okay.. I hoped you’ve moved on, I do hope that you’re happy too. I think Ill miss you the most, I love you.