Natasha Deserves Better: An Essay
It’s been almost a year and Natasha’s characterization in Age of Ultron still makes me uncomfortable.
Captain America: the Winter Soldier finally gave her a personality besides Monotone Cut-Throat Spy. It humanized her, gave her a personality, sense of humor, and feelings.
- Her crying when she thought Fury was dead
- Her being stunned when she asked Steve if he trusted her, and he said yes.
- The arrow necklace she wore in honor of Clint.
- Her poking fun at Steve
- Her choosing to stay by his side and loyal to Fury
She stopped being just Black Widow, the lethal spy who deadpans and dully stares at everything, and became Natasha, a well-rounded woman.
Then Age of Ultron gave her a sudden and creepy obsession with Bruce Banner, acting completely out of character and, dare I say it, regressive.
- Linking her humanity to her uterus was gross enough.
- Implying that her becoming sterilized shut off a section of her humanity that made killing easier because it was ‘one less thing to worry about’.
- Calling her choosing to get sterilized for her job, rather than her actually having killed lots of people, warrants a “You’re not the only monster on the team.”
- Comparing it to Bruce Hulking out and destroying entire landscapes.
- Having Bruce forgive her for it rather than tell her ‘No, you’re not a monster,’ and making it a scene about the choices they made with their bodies - him taking the serum that created the Hulk and her having the surgery. Nope, he just makes it worse.
- Having an actress who was currently pregnant cry over being unable to get pregnant. Scarlett was fucking pregnant in that scene, am I the only one who finds it incredibly fucked up?