A template to generate ideas for poetry (SPEC/SLIMS) *note, it’s not an essay outline template, but a brainstorming one.
1. Subject matter - what is the situation in the poem?
2. Purpose (theme) - what is the author’s message?
3. Emotion (mood) - what is the dominant mood of the poem? What does the poem make you feel? How does the mood change in the poem?
4. Craftsmanship - what are the techniques used and what is their effect?
(a) Structure - is it a ballad, sonnet, ode? Does the poem have stanzas with a fixed number of lines?
(b) Language - what kind of language is used? consider the tone, register and diction. Are there any metaphors, personification, similes?
© Imagery - how does the poem appeal to your 5 senses? Is there a particular sense that the poem appeals to? Is there a reason why the poet chose the appeal to that sense?
(d) Movement - whats the rhythm in the poem? Is there a regular rhythm? Is the poem fast paced?
(e) Sounds - does the poem rhyme? Does the poet use alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia etc?
5. Summary - how does the poem make you feel? How does the poet used the techniques to bring out the purpose of the poem?