Since I'll soon be starting as a PC in Shadowrun 5th ed, what are 14.4 indispensable pieces of advice for any new runner?
1. Count your own ammo. It adds dramatic tension when you’re getting low, and it lessens the stress on the GM.
2. Play the game the way you want to play it. Don’t get wrapped up in what might be the “best”, do what your character would do, roll with the consequences.
3. Legwork keeps you alive. There’s no such thing as too much preparation.
4. The best laid plans will always have complications. This is part of the fun.
5. Watch your back. When you’re running in the shadows, everything is grey.
6. Loyalty is earned, not given.
7. Keep your contacts close. If you find something they might like on a run, feel free to hand it over. A good contact is worth their weight in creds.
8. Every bullet can be tracked back to you with enough searching. Watch where you leave them.
9. Geek the Mage first.
10. Don’t trust Mr. Johnson.
11. Definitely don’t trust a Dragon.
12. There are a lot of rules. Know yours, down to your abilities, your cyber, your pools, etc. This keeps the game running smoothly.
13. Have fun with Negative Attributes. They give back (BP for 4th/Karma for 5th), but they do more to flesh out a character.
14. Befriend a Troll. Your life will be better for it.
14.4 I know the truth! Dunkelzahn was assassinated by