youtube

Origami bamboo bodice tutorial TR cutting by STITCHLESS TV

Link: https://youtu.be/ARk-S4QdAuU

instagram

This new zombie pin-up girl fabric from Alexander Henry is AMAZING! Item #89551 on our website! #sewing #fabric #quilting #alexanderhenry #zombies #pinupgirl #sewyourhartout #hartsfabric #santacruz @alexanderhenryfabrics (at Harts Fabric)

Made with Instagram
Make Some Pocket Extenders for Your Pants

So I don’t know about you, but I’m often frustrated by the ridiculous smallness of girls’ pockets. At a bare minimum, I need to be able to shove my cellphone in there - come on, pants companies! So what I started doing was making myself pocket extenders. I’ve done this several times, for pants and shorts. It’s great.

I just got this pair of jeans, so I thought I’d show you how to do it. I kind of feel like it just hasn’t occurred to some of you that this is an option, so maybe now it will. All you need is your pants, some fabric (I just took a random piece from a scrap bin), a needle, and some thread (thread doesn’t even need to match the fabric since literally no one will see it).

See? Ridiculous. Like, half a cellphone, or only 2.5″. Useless.

 So turn those inside out to expose the pockets.

Figure out how big you want your pockets to actually be. I kinda go by whatever looks like might be right. I didn’t really measure them. Fold the fabric in half, so you have a pocket, and then fold it in half again so you can have two equal ones.

Try to get the edges to line up enough, pin it in place, then sew up the sides! Are your stitches crazy uneven and wonky looking? Doesn’t matter; nobody’s going to see it. These are in the inside of your pants. The only thing that matters is that it holds up. So I double-did the corners, since those tend to get the most stress.

Cut open the bottom of the existing pockets.

Pin it in place, then sew around, joining the new pocket to the old pocket. I did this by keeping my hand on the inside, so I wouldn’t accidentally sew through the other side. Again, I reinforced the corners, and didn’t worry about what it actually looks like. Then I turned it in side out to make sure the inside was all joined properly.

Yay all done! And the pockets are so much bigger now!

Whaaaat I can fit my entire phone and entire hand and probably something else now, are girls’ pockets even allowed to do that?! Heck yeah they are.

Attention American Seamsters

HANCOCK FABRIC IS CLOSING DOWN. For good. Forever. It sucks.

As a result, they are liquidating their products and selling everything for 20%-50% off. The discounts apply to everything, from thread to dress forms to sewing machines, so if you’ve been longing for some sewing supplies that are just out of your price range, now’s your chance to get them. (I particularly recommend the Sew Perfect dress forms; they’re easy to adjust and very accurate.)

Please signal boost this! I know the sewing community on tumblr isn’t super tight, but I’d hate for any of my fellow seamsters to miss out on a good deal!

Lola by Victory Patterns

Lola is a spin off of the classic crew neck sweater. This comfortable slip on dress features raglan sleeves, ribbed hem bands, front neckline “V” detail, and oversized wrap around pockets . The curved seams give a relaxed, feminine fit.  This project is ideal for a serger and is easy to wear when you want to be cozy in style!

Link: https://www.victorypatterns.com/products/lola/

2

The 1890s Plaid Walking Ensemble is finally done! Here are a few preview photos - more will come tomorrow.

This costume consists of four main pieces : The skirt, jacket, blouse, and hat. It’s worn over a home made corset, chemise, and two petticoats. The costume itself is made from six yards of faux wool flannel, cotton lining, three yards of silk, and some buttons/lace/wool/silk satin that I had left over from old projects.

 The hat is made from a mixture of buckram and felt weight interfacing. It’s lined with velvet and decorated with a matching ribbon and bow. It also has a partial pheasant pelt on it, which was a common decoration in the 1890s.

Everything was drafted, draped, and designed by me except for the jacket sleeves, which were from a pattern book. Assembling the pieces was a very long process. Each one was carefully cut out and hand basted together to make sure each line matched perfectly. 

The jacket is trimmed with vintage lace and sixteen yards of soutache braid which was hand stitched on into knot like patterns - another very time consuming process!

Overall i’m thrilled with how this came out. It was a very different, technical project for me - a bit out of my comfort zone! But i’m so glad I took it on, I really enjoyed making it and as I said, i’m pleased with the end result.

The detailed write up about making it is here, more photos and a video about the project should be up tomorrow and found through the same link! :)