Magic Oils Master Post
- the general name for oils used to anoint candles, ritual tools, material, furniture, money, and other such items
- also called Anointing Oils
- is a term found only in Hoodoo and Conjure practice
- it refers to all anointing and dressing oils that are utilized in rites, rituals, or spell-craft to address or remediate an unwanted condition or to bring about a desired condition
- Because these oils were developed by practitioners of the African American folk magic path, which is called Conjure or Hoodoo
- also called Conjure Oils, Hoodoo Oils, and Lucky oils
- oils used in a healing art whose roots lay in antiquity
- This practice traces back more than 6,000 years to the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Persians, Romans, and probably Chinese
- they used to burn scented flowers and herbs and enjoy aromatic bath, massage and skin care for curative and cosmetic purposes
- are volatile, concentrated oils
- usually having the characteristic odor or flavor of the plant from which they are obtained
- are primarily used to make perfumes, flavorings, and accentuate ritual and spiritual oil blends
Synthetic Fragrance Oils
- compounds created in a laboratory that smell a lot – or a little– like the natural flowers or herbs after which they have been named
- A lot of companies today offer Synthetic Oils rather than Essential Oils because Synthetic Oils can be obtained at a fraction of the cost of Essential Oils
- for magickal purposes it’s always best to use real Essential Oils whenever possible, as these contain the magickal properties of the plant from which they are distilled, which the synthetic oils do not.
Handcrafted Oils and Herbal Oils
- are blends made up for specific ritual or magickal purposes
- They are not made in a factory, but are indivisually prepared with the addition of magical herbs, roots, flowers and other natural ingredients to a simple oil base and then ritually charged with intent
- Ritual Oils and Condition Oils may be considered to be “handcrafted herbal oils” only if they contain actual herbal ingredients
- are various oils, both vegetable and mineral
- are used to help dilute Essential Oils that might cause severe irritation or reaction to some people if applied to the skin undiluted
- Carrier Oils help dilute and thus stretch out the volume of Essential oils used in Ritual Oils and Condition Oils
- A number of different oils have been, and are, used as Carrier Oils.
Olive Oil has an ancient history of being used as a Carrier Oil and is often seen used in oils meant to help in blessing and anointing.
Almond Oil became a popular Carrier oil due to its lighter scent and texture over the heavier Olive Oil. Almond Oil, unlike Olive Oil, does not dominate the natural fragrance of the herbs and Essential Oils that are blended in the handcrafting process.
The following is a list of Ritual Oils used by Pagans and Witches, Their properties that can be used in assistance of your magickal work.
- ABRAMELIN OIL This oil and its accompanying ritual powder are both highly esteemed by those who follow more ceremonial magickal traditions, and it is of great benefit to those who follow the course of ritual activities.
- BLESSING OIL This magickal oil can be used to bless new babies, new ventures, new homes, and for healing. Amplified with sincere prayer, will and intent it can also be used to help purify you or your home, to relieve suffering, or bring about spiritual healing
- PLANETARY OILS The seven sacred planets relate to the days of the week and also planetary hours within days and seven sacred planets were associated with ancient Gods and Goddesses. These oils help invoke the powers and characteristics of the individual planetary power. You can use these oils to anoint candles, or wear them as personal scent to help convey the power of the deities represented by the Planets.
Sun Oil - Sun, Sol, Apollo; Sunday; ruler of Leo
Mercury Oil - Mercury, Hermes, Wotan; Wednesday; ruler of Gemini and Virgo
Venus Oil - Venus, Freya; Friday; ruler of Taurus and Libra
Terra Oil - Terra, Gaia, Earth; our mother
Moon Oil - Moon, Luna, Artemis; Monday; ruler of Cancer
Mars Oil - Mars, Twi; ruler of Aries; co-ruler of Scorpio
Jupiter Oil - Jupiter, Zeus, Thor; Thursday; ruler of Sagittarius; co-ruler of Pisces
Saturn Oil - Saturn, Kronos; Saturday; ruler of Capricorn; co-ruler of Aquarius
Uranus Oil - Urania; co-ruler of Aquarius
Neptune Oil - Neptune, Poseidon; co-ruler of Pisces
Pluto Oil - Pluto, Hades; co-ruler of Scorpio
- relate to the various signs of the zodiac and help symbolize and invoke the kind of activities and characteristics with which the various signs of the zodiac are associated. You can use these oils to anoint candles, or wear them with Planetary Oils as a personal scent to help strengthen weak astrological characteristics or to help heighten strong astrological characteristics.
Aries Oil- The Ram; March 21 - April 21; ruled by Mars; Element Fire.
Taurus Oil- The Bull; April 21 - May 21; ruled by Venus; Element Earth.
Gemini Oil - The Twins; May 21 - June 21; ruled by Mercury; Element Air.
Cancer Oil - The Crab; June 21 - July 21; ruled by the Moon; Element Water.
Leo Oil - The Lion; July 21 - August 21; ruled by the Sun; Element Fire.
Virgo Oil - The Virgin; August 21 - September 21; ruled by Mercury; Element Earth.
Libra Oil - The Balance; September 21 - October 21; ruled by Venus; Element Air.
Scorpio Oil - The Scorpion; October 21 - November 21; ruled by Pluto and Mars; Element Water.
Sagittarius Oil - The Archer; November 21 - December 21; ruled by Jupiter; Element Fire.
Capricorn Oil - The Seagoat; December 21 - January 21; ruled by Saturn; Element Earth.
Aquarius Oil - The Water Bearer; January 21 - February 21; ruled by Uranus and Saturn; Element Air.
Pisces Oil- The Fishes; February 21 - March 21; ruled by Neptune and Jupiter; Element Water.
Next we present some of the traditional herb-based blends that are used in the preparation of Hoodoo and Rootwork spells.
- CAST OFF EVIL OIL This oil helps you rid yourself, your loved ones, and your home and spaces from the negative influences of false friends.
- CROWN OF SUCCESS OIL This traditional Oil is tried and true and helps crown you and uplift you in all endeavors that you might undertake.
- HEALING OIL This is really a very fine oil to help aid in the relief of sickness, sorrow, and to help mend ongoing physical and emotional problems.
- MASTER KEY OIL For ritual work intended to help grant or empower aptitude in a skill, personal discipline, will, or authority.
- MONEY DRAWING OIL This is a very old, traditional Hoodoo Oil that has been used for ages. It is renowned amongst financiers, gamblers, shop owners, and common working folk for its ability to draw money to you.
- BLACK CAT OIL In Hoodoo the black cat is a symbol of luck and strength helping in the sporting and gambling world. It is used to reverse bad luck and its vibrations work well for Witches and our general works.
- FAST LUCK OIL This is one of the more famous Hoodoo formulas; it is used to draw luck in gambling, love, and commerce. This is an oil to use when you need a magickal response in these areas in a hurry.
- SPECIAL OIL NO. 20 A famous and very strong old Hoodoo formula, this is an all purpose Condition Oil used for dressing candles. It is also known as Wick Oil, Candle Oil, and Brown Oil. .
- VAN VAN OIL Perhaps the quintessential Hoodoo Oil. Van Van is most favored of oils for dressing amulets, charms and mojo bags. It helps clear away negativity, changes bad luck to good and acts as a road opener to new opportunities and circumstances.
Finally, here are some Essential Oils and Fragrance oils that can be used “straight” by diluting in Carrier Oil, but not blending with other scents.
- JASMINE FRAGRANCE OIL This oil is best used for magickal workings relating to Psychicism, Astral Travel, and related Clairvoyant works.
- LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL This oil is best used for magickal workings relating to love and health work.
- LOTUS FRAGRANCE OIL This oil is best used for magickal workings relating to workings involving spirits and love; it is used to invoke the Moon and the Element of Water.
- PATCHOULI ESSENTIAL OIL This oil is best used for magickal workings relating to money, and protection work, but it can also be used with great effectiveness for love and passion works.
- CALAMUS ESSENTIAL OIL This oil is best used for magickal workings relating to gaining mastery and control through natural talent and charisma