PSA ABOUT SEIZURES. AKA HOW TO HELP A SEIZURE PATIENT WITHOUT BEING AN ASSHOLE.
I just had a seizure in french class, so this is the part where I go over seizure first aid just in case somebody you know goes through what I do.
1. As soon as they start seizing get somebody to start a timer. If you don’t know the person call an ambulance. If you do know them, and know they have a seizure disorder call an ambulance anyways; unless they’ve previously told you otherwise. Don’t call the police. Police don’t know how to handle seizure patients. If you call the police that makes you an asshole. When the medics arrive tell them how long the patient has been seizing for, or how long they where seizing for if the seizure has stopped.
3. if they are seizing violently do not hold them down, seriously you can give them serious bruises or even break their bones
2. If they’re not seizing violently, turn them on their side, and try to get them in the position closest to shock position that you can. They’ll thank you for this if they throw up and don’t choke on their own vomit.
6. If possible put a pillow or soft object underneath the persons head. This will stop them from braining themselves on the floor, which is usually something we appreciate greatly. generally cracking our heads open is even less fun than seizing.
Do not, and i mean it do not put anything in their mouth. They’re not going to swallow their tongue, that’s not an actual thing. They may bite it, but that’s preferable to choking on whatever shit you put in their mouth. Just don’t do it.
4. If they wet themselves don’t tease them about it. don’t even mention it unless it’s to offer them a change of clothes. this isn’t a medical thing, this is just a “don’t be an asshole” thing.
Don’t hold them down
5. don’t be an asshole in general. sometimes seizures and bodily fluids come hand in hand. we know this. trust me.
Waking up from a seizure can be super scary, especially if the person has never had one before. Don’t let them sit up right away, and speak to them in as soothing of a voice as you can, and i mean like nature-documentary type soothing, that shit has got to be as calm as it possibly can be.
Don’t fucking hold them down you can break their fucking bones i’m not kidding
I may add more to this later, but my brain is fried because, you know, i just had a seizure.