No matter what I do, I can't make myself try in school. I'm a solid B student, but I know if I applied myself fully,instead of procrastinating until the last minute and handing in first drafts, I could be a ninties student. Ugh. I keep fucking myself over. Advice?
omggg i understand. i really do. this happens to me too :((
thing is procrastination strikes at times just as this & youve got so much potential & can easily score well. but dont worry, with some time, hard work & patience you can tackle it!
i haven’t put the basic things you find on websites cuz you prolly know/ read em. i put a few things i use & find helpful.
(sry if somethings sound harsh, it’s just that being honest is the best thing you can do to combat procrastination)
- do you have a goal in life? a thing you’re working towards? maybe an ambition, or something personal that you want to achieve in life? everyone you sit down to study & feel like you dont want to, remember it. think of it. remember why you stared in the first place. maybe if you dont have a career choice for yourself yet, maybe have some small goal.
for egs i want to be happy in life. if that’s your goal, do something that makes you happy. prioritize things that make you happy.
- a lyric by eminem i stand by:
‘look if you ever had one shot or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip?’
- procrastination is the thief of time.
i know its cliché lolbut look at it this way; you have 2 weeks for an exam, you can either spend 2 weeks spreading out your work load and studying OR you can spend everyday wasting time & cramming in the last 2 days.
- what’s something that you procrastinate doing? like for me its reading books or youtube or just scrolling through tumblr. i cut out reading books during exam time & read only at night. i cut out youtube during exam time as well. tumblr is something i come to once a day fr a few minutes. this all took time & it wasn’t easy.
so cut out things that you procrastinate on. one by one. every small action matters.
- try the pomodoro method. give this a read & try it. you can download the app as well!
- read this from this awesome site:
“ I have friends who almost never let themselves do the really fun things they want to do during the semester.
They’ll talk about how much they want to play a certain game or watch a new movie, but when I suggest that they just go play it, they’ll say: “I really can’t; I have way too much homework and I’d feel guilty.”
Five minutes later, though, I’ll see them scrolling through their Facebook feed.
I call this low-density fun.
Scrolling through your news feed or watching a few funny videos on YouTube is easy, and it’s sort of fun to do.
However, because it’s so easy and feels so unlike “real” fun, it’s easy to not feel guilty about it – which leads to a lot of procrastination.
The solution? Commit to having your high-density fun.
If you want to play a video game later, commit to starting it at 8 p.m.
Then, make sure all your work is done by then.
Let your high-density fun create a deadline that propels you into focused work. “
- a quote i LOVE:
“effort never betrays you”
- try the 2 minute method.
study for JUST 2 minutes. and then maybe just 2 more minutes? then maybe just 2 more!
trick your brain like this. trick your brain into thinking that studying is actually fun & that you’d want to do it just for 2 more minutes & keep going on. it really works for meeee!
- try this study method:
- do the easiest or most fun thing the first
- then do the hardest
- then the 2nd hardest
- then something that HAS to be done
- then finish off with something easy & fun!
- eat the frog
lol pls not really
if you have something which you HATE doing, do that first. finish that first & then go ahead with the rest.
- is there something you really like doing? for egs if you loooove chocolate, you can buy a small stash & keep it away. then you sit down & do some work & then IF and ONLY IF you’re satisfied with yourself, indulge in yourself. if you’re unhappy with the work done, do not take it.
- if youve got a lot of things to do, make a timetable for yourself or a to-do list. also allocate an hour of activities/ exercise/ something you can do to get fresh air. it gets the blood flowing & helps a lot!
- if its a subject you hate:
just using my egs here, i hate physics & I’m bad at it but doing sums & questions make me happy cuz then with some hard work, i get the correct answer! so if you have a subject such as this, try to do something which helps you get an answer which might motivate you!
- if you’re an audio learner (you can find you which type of learner you are here) try listening to some videos while you jog/ exercise. Khan academy (an app) lets you download the videos you want and u can listen to em offline. they’re really really good!!
- if you know what type of learner you are, study using those methods!
- think of the effort you have put in, in the past few years!! youve been in school for so long & if you dont put in the effort for this year, you’re basically wasting the time you spent in the past few years!
- think of the effort, time & money your parents put to get you this education. work hard & make em proud ☺️
- do you have a park in your area/ a coffee shop/ library? go there, DO NOT GET WIFI!!! delete all the games off your phone a well if you want to, & study there.
- think of all that you can do for this world. youve got so much potential & so much to give. why waste it?
if you ever fail in anything, that is okay, you can always try again! just remember, its the effort that counts.
- be a sincere student. you’re not only lying to your teachers, you’re lying to your parents & yourself.
- if it really gets out of hand, call your mum/ dad/ sibling t sit with you in the same room & study while they’re there, or better, teach them! that way they can call you out when you’re wasting time.
- switch off your wifi modem? ask ur family members if its okay lols
- give ur phone/ computer/ tablet/ etc to your patents, tell em to lock it in a cupboard & not give it to u. tell them to hide the key as well 😂
- study with friends if that helps you! prom each other when you waste time
- try fear?
the day before your exam, work up all the things that might happen if you dont do your exam well or if you dont study. that might get your motors running? warning: this is kinda pessimistic. this is not for everyone. also if you have anxiety pls ignore this
- remember, just be you. having fun is no crime but trying to escape your responsibilities is
well kinda. try to get eternal happiness NOT momentary happiness.
- do not let the toxic mixture of laziness & fear mess everything up
- watch this 😂
- watch this as well! then get back to work k!!
- this post by @emmastudies on how to beat procrastination is v v good!!
- make a good timetable if you’d like & stick to it. again u can force your fam to help u
- discipline is MUST. try to follow a strict routine!
“suffer the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.”
- do NOT compare yourself to others.
- everybody makes mistake,
everybody has those daysbut the goal is to nOT make the same one again. try not to!
- look, you can do it. set your mind to it. sit down, get your things out & just begin.
i know you can. YOU know you can!!!! the only thing stopping you is you. do not let your dreams be crushed by a the needs of momentary happiness.
sry if this post is kinda long oops
i hope this helped!
ace this, hun! you can do it. if you ever want to talk/need help, pls do send me an ask/ message.
i know that its hard to break procrastination but trust me, you will get over it. just keep trying, k?
take care & good luck. 💕