Pretty Little Liars storyline interpretation
Let me start off by first saying, I loved the finale a lot. I thought it was well thought out and planned FOR THE SEASON 6 AND 7 STORYLINES. I was not expecting answers from seasons 1-6.5. Although, using my imagination and some logical deduction, I can piece some things together. I can tell you now I will forget some things and in all honesty, there are still plot holes and things that don’t make any sense. I just deal with it and respect the story for what it’s worth. I truly believe the whole Charles/Charlotte story was made to extend the series (because ABC family kept renewing it), I’m basing this off the Brendan Robinson interview with ET where he said that storyline was just a filler. Although, I do think the writers did a good job tying Charlotte into the Alex’s storyline.
- I’ll begin with Bethany since people seem to have the most questions about her. I view Bethany as a side character who had little relevance other being the girl that was in Alison’s grave. The fact that she killed Toby’s mom is just a screw up on the writers part and I’m willing to let it go. Bethany wandered out that night because she was just psycho. She hated Jessica (for having an affair with her father) and wanted to hurt her. She was hit by Mona and buried alive by Melissa. End of story
- Another question was how did Eddie lamb recognize Aria. I believe he simply had seen her face before because of Charlotte. He may have seen her planning the game while in Radley. A stretch but it’s possible.
- Okay now on to the good stuff. I’m still a little unclear about why Mary got sent to Radley. Her history with Jessica was a little rushed but it is what it is. Regardless, while in Radley, Mary escaped frequently. Having sex with Peter and Paster Ted getting pregnant both times.
- Mary had Charles in Radley and gave the child to her sister Jessica
- Mary had Spencer and gave her to Peter and Veronica. She then surprisingly gave birth to another girl which she named Alex, unannounced to everyone. She sold the baby to the doctor (name?) in order to get money to escape from Radley. The doctor found a wealthy family in England for Alex. When her adopted family realized Alex had severe mental issues, they took away her adoptive name and dropped her off at an orphanage. She escaped this orphanage shortly after.
- Now skipping ahead a bit. While in Radley, an older Charles (now assumed to be Charlotte) either found Mary’s old file in Radley’s basement or hired someone to do so. That’s how she found out Mary was her mother. This would be the middle-ish of season 3 when Charlotte takes on the name, CeCe “Drake”.
- Wren obviously met Charlotte while he was working in Radley. The two became extremely close. Giving her passes in and out of Radley and possibly knowing about the game as well. That could explain his drawings of Red Coat.
- Wren meets Alex in a bar around the middle or end of season 4. Alex tells him her story and Wren tells Alex about Charlotte. Wren then calls Charlotte and tells her about Alex. I believe this is the first time Charlotte finds out she has a sister. The birth of Alex could have been left out of Mary’s file because of the level of secrecy.
- At the end of 5x01, Charlotte flies to Paris and meets Archer. Archer is in love with her. While at the airport, Wren calls Charlotte to tell her where to meet her sister, Alex for the first time.
And now for some random odds and ends
- Alex’s motive is way more satisfying than Charlotte’s. Alex had severe mental issues, just like her mother. She got the short end of the stick. She was the forgotten one left for nothing. Once she met Wren and he told her about Spencer, she became extremely envious. She wanted the life Spencer had, wanting to become Spencer in the end.She also wanted revenge for Charlotte’s death (aka the game)
- Alex killed Wren because he could only see her as “Alex” and not Spencer.
- Alex poisoned Yvonne to begin her deception with Toby.
- Alex choose to kidnap Ezra not only because he was on to her, but so she could have Aria all to herself.
- Jenna, Noel, Sydney, & Sara were simply just helpers, as explained by Alex
- I believe Melissa knew some things simply because of her connection with Wren. Did she know about Alex? Possibly but who really knows.
- Wren was more involved than what we’re lead to believe. He knew (and maybe even helped) about Charlotte’s game and became a very active accomplice to Alex. Which explains while A.D had all the doctor connections.
I know I’m missing some things but I needed to write this in order to get most of it out of my head. Hope you enjoyed!!!