one major thing about padme’s story that i still take issue with is how quickly she forgot about shmi skywalker. still on tatooine, still a slave, her only child taken from her, miserable and worked to the bone until her violent and lonely death at the hands of the sand people. no.
if i know padme, then she went back for the woman who gave her a meal and a warm bed in an unfriendly port when padme was literally fleeing for her life. shmi showed her incredible kindness even when she had every right to be jaded and cynical with the entire gd universe. padme was horrified to learn that slavery still existed in the galaxy! how could she forget about the enslaved woman who took her in?
and for george lucas to decide that shmi was a write-off character that everyone, EVERYONE, except anakin, her own son, forgot/didnt care about, is lazy and terrible writing. i dont buy that for a second. padme was led by ironclad morals and for her to forget the slave woman who saved her on tatooine so she could return to a life of opulence on coruscant is just…. not true in my eyes. the jedi couldn’t/wouldn’t do anything about it but that shouldnt have stopped padme.
……………do y'all know that they actually filmed the “i don’t fucking believe this” line from ftf and just didn’t use it? like i’m genuinely curious. bc we actually have footage of dana scully saying the word fuck and my life was made better by that knowledge
Ok, I am a sucker for dialogue analysis, and Percy’s speech to Pelor about Vex has some really interesting things I noticed.
1. “She’s the future I have chosen” Percy knows about legacy. He comes from a long and proud family line. He knows that it is his responsibility guide/direct the future of Whitestone, and that his heirs will be the future of Whitestone for generations to come. He chose her to be a part of that future and legacy because…
2. “She is my heart and my judgement” Percy doesn’t trust himself. He puts on a good show about being grown-up and responsible, but he has done many dark things, and can be callous about other’s feelings. He even recognizes that he is flawed, and numerous times he has told others to not trust him. Vex has shown that she is caring, and wise. He has chosen to trust her more than himself.
3. “She is that one that…I have betrothed to” I love the way this is phrased. He doesn’t say, “she’s my betrothed”, because Vex is not his. He has betrothed to her. He has promised himself to her. It’s not about him receiving her or her affection, it’s about him pledging his affection to her. It him giving himself to her. He has given to her his heart, and has given to her his judgement. He has given her his future. He is placing it all in her hands, because he loves and trusts her.
This is why Perc’ahlia is my OTP. They are both broken people, who recognize their short comings, and have such love and respect for each other that they each trust the other to help them become better. It’s about growth and forgiveness (and sexy bath times, but that’s a cherry on top)
I feel like not enough credit has been given to Allan Heinberg for writing the Wonder Woman script. Yes, a lot of people had their hands in the script, but in the end, he got the billing for the screenplay and that matters because the script was one of the reasons this movie worked so well. Also, he’s an openly gay Jewish man and it’s great to see him prove that he can write a movie that’s universally appealing.
So here are a few great tips for calling your reps, taken from an action group I follow on fb:
“Friends! As some of you know, I used to work on Capitol Hill as the person in charge of all the incoming phone calls to my Senator’s office. I have some insider tips to make calling your reps easier and quicker.
1. Give your name, city, and zip code, and say “I don’t need a response.” That way, they can quickly confirm you are a constituent, and that they can tally you down without taking the time to input you into a response database.
2. PLEASE ONLY CALL YOUR OWN REPRESENTATIVES! Your tally will not be marked down unless you can rattle off a city and zip from the state, or are calling from an in-state area code. I know you really want to give other reps a piece of your mind, but your call will be ignored unless you can provide a zip from their district. And don’t try to make this up; I could often tell who was lying very quickly thanks to the knowledge of the state’s geography. Exceptions to this are things like Paul Ryan’s ACA poll which are national.
3. State the issue, state your position. “I am opposed to ________.” “I am in favor of _______.” “I am opposed to banning the import of phalanges.” I am in favor of a trade deal to lower the price of juice smoothies.“ That’s it. That’s all we write down so we can get a tally of who is in favor, who is against. It doesn’t matter WHY you hold that opinion. The more people calling, the less detail they have time to write down. Help them out by being simple and direct. This keeps calls shorter, allowing more callers through.
4. Please be nice! The people answering the phones on Capitol Hill already had the hardest job in DC and some of the lowest pay as well, and for a month now their jobs have become absolute murder, with nonstop calls for 9 hours every day. Thank them for their hard work answering the phones, because without them our Senators could not represent us!
What does this sound like?
"Hi, my name is Mark, I’m a constituent from Seattle, zip code 98***, I don’t need a response. I am opposed to banning the sale of blueberries and I encourage the Senator to please oppose implementation of any such ban. Thanks for your hard work answering the phones!”
This is how I wish every caller had phrased their message. It makes it easier for the people answering the phones and takes less time and emotion than a long script. I know that you want to say why, but keeping it short and sweet helps the office answer more calls per hour, meaning more people get heard. The bigger the tally, the more powerful your voice.
Also, when you’re reading off the same script as 100 other callers that day… well…they know what you’re about to say, so you don’t need to use the whole script for your opinion to be heard!
Pick one issue each day, use this format (I am in favor of _____ or I oppose ______), and call your 2 Senators and 1 Representative on their DC and State Office lines, and you’ll be on your way to being heard.”
I am always very impressed with how confident you are with your endgame theories. After all the of the countless instances of romantic tropes and subtext, and bisexual coding being subverted with last minute "no-homos", throw-away female love interests, and flat out denials from writers, CW execs, and actors [Jensen], how are you able to be so positive and sure that Bi!Dean and Destiel will come to fruition canonically and on screen?
Because I don’t like to live in misery and worry. Why waste energy on being negative when it is such a lovely and positive story in it’s entirety. I don’t see why they wouldn’t and Destiel is just a part of the story.
@margarittet and I today were discussing how the show is literally like therapy.
It addresses (among other things):
- mental health - romantic relationship problems - familial relationship problems - toxic dependency - self worth - sexuality - sublimation - faith - familial rejection due to being different, with a heavy undertone of faith and sexuality - found family - mental abuse - physical abuse - sexual abuse - child abuse - mental and physical disabilities - alcoholism - fear - and through it all HOPE
The characters have dragged themselves literally out of the pit of despair on so many occasions and grown to learn how to be happy. If the show does end in death or not fulfilling their endgames then this is missing out on the absolutely key point, that they have taken themselves from darkness towards light, that they have overcome these things and are an amazing role model for anyone with any of these kinds of issues, that there is HOPE at the end of the tunnel.
I just don’t see why they would do that or why I therefore would personally worry about them not doing it. IF for some weird reason they didn’t, say it got randomly cancelled (I don’t think this is likely) or if TPTB veto a part of it then I think there would have to be a bloody good reason as the set up is exactly that all this will be subverted, that the characters are going to get a happy ending, because they deserve it and as a mirror to people in real life it would be a real kick to the bollocks if they didn’t, given the heavily relatable and long drawn out focus on the above issues. Yes it is absolutely true that there may be a reason why they don’t, I don’t write the show, I just talk about what I perceive to be the endgame and what makes sense to me and this is it. Don’t take it as verbatim that it is DEFINITELY going to happen, I mean, I’m not a prophet, it just doesn’t make sense to me otherwise due to the key points of the whole show, not just Destiel.
I mean, just the fact that season 13 is set up as a reverse-mirror to season 1 is precisely to show us how far they have come since then, leading into their endgame.
Bi!Dean and Destiel are for me completely written into the script and have been for a LONG time. Performing!Dean since the pilot (and boy have we got textual confirmation of this now), Bi!Dean since soon after and Destiel since… well honestly since at least 2x13 if not since 1x12, that Dean would find acceptance in himself by endgame and also find love with an Angel. The exposition of the lack of faith is a clear and standard trope. It’s nearly as good as “I just don’t like X, that X is precisely what the character is going to love by the end of the movie”.
Bi!Dean and Destiel are clearly for me in their build up to becoming canon while Performing!Dean was the part that needed to be addressed first, and it WAS.
I wrote a post a while ago pointing out all the other things that the meta writers have been right about, that were confirmed this season, just to kind of prove the point as to why would we/they be right about so much and not about this, when these are two of the things we write about the most.
CAN I ALSO POINT OUT THAT ENDGAME MEANS… ENDGAME. That worrying that it didn’t happen in, say, season 8 or whenever, is totally pointless when the point is that it is going to happen IF it is going to happen, by ENDGAME. We literally CANNOT know until then.
Anyway… I like the story, it makes total sense to me I’m not going to spend my time worrying about it potentially not happening when it doesn’t make sense to me that it wouldn’t.
i spent an hour doing all these instead of my hw;;; why? idk lmao;;;
anyway i thought about the quirks for them based on them, with kumiko doing the thing where she says something without actually meaning to say it out loud, and since she’s already like this, wouldn’t it be funny if she still does it even without words
and reina basically being good at music so like sound right, and the way she plays is beautiful, loud, and clean, so i chose sound manipulation (my second choice would be her being super strong but ehhh she could have speakers and trumpets with sound manip so…)
edit:if you guys have like ideas for names it’d be nice if you could share bc i’ll prob draw them in hero costume when i have some time
FROHIKE: She [Diana Fowley] was Mulder’s chickadee when he just got out of the Academy. Good looking. SCULLY: Well, she claims to have worked closely with him for a while. LANGLY: She was there when he discovered the X-Files. She has some kind of background in para-science. BYERS: She got a legate appointment a while back … in Berlin. I always wondered why they split up. SCULLY: (Pauses. That she’s threatened by Diana makes her angry at herself, but she’s trying not to show it.) Well … Why don’t you boys see what you can find?
[Later on, after Scully sees Mulder and Diana holding hands in the hospital]:
Unlocking the door hastily and getting in. She’s a confusion of emotions, both personal and professional. She sits pained for a moment, then rests her head against the steering wheel, trying to calm herself. Trying to be mature about what she’s understandably experiencing.
This is a wonderful and beautifully written Star Wars AU! The way the characters are incorporated into the Star Wars universe is brilliant and it really shows how much care was put into merging the two worlds together! It has quickly become one of my absolute favourite fics and I highly recommend giving it a shot!
Y’all I almost started crying at the end of Thomas’ pride video because I haven’t heard someone say “I love you” to me for about two years and it just… it really meant a lot. I know it was just a thing at the end of a video, but hearing someone say it, especially in regards to sexuality/gender id, was something I really needed to hear. So yeah.