- it’s lunch break, and they’re sitting on the school’s shitty soccer field. the sun is warm and golden. kent is pulling up handfuls of grass, wondering how much clover seeds would cost on amazon. alexei tucks daisies and dandelions into Kent’s fluffy mess of hair, pressing kisses to his temple between the flowers.
- it’s a work block in kent’s english class and he’s folded over his desk, head pillowed on folded arms, eyes closed. the class is comfortably noisy, chipping away slowly at grammar worksheets that aren’t for marks while gossip and poorly folded paper airplanes fly around over kent’s head. the teacher’s in the photocopying room. alexei walks past the open classroom door, then backtracks and peeks in. when kent wakes up, alexei’s letterman is draped over his shoulders.
- it’s 7 pm, and the sun is loitering low over the jagged horizon of the suburbs bordering the soccer field. kent has his clover seeds from amazon (that only cost $5) tucked into the pocket of his robotics hoodie and he’s laughing against alexei’s chest, telling him what he wants to do with them. alexei laughs right back and helps him spread the seeds in the shape of 5-foot-long dick in the middle of the field.
- it’s alexei’s spare and kent’s physics block, and the classroom’s too fucking warm. kent gets up every three minutes to stick his head out of the window, hoping to catch a bit of a non-existent breeze. his friends have sprawled themselves out dramatically over the lab benches in varying states of undress. they’re caught in a competition of who can produce the most ridiculous death-rattle (sex noise? who knows), and kent snapchats this to alexei, who doesn’t reply but does shows up at the door of the classroom ten minutes later with an extra-large slushy, a handful of straws, and a receipt from the gas station down the block. it’s too hot for hugs, but kent’s eager to collect a handful of blue-tinged kisses.
- it’s the evening before alexei’s graduation ceremony and they’re on the field again. the sun’s still hangin’ around, setting later and later as the summer creeps closer, and alexei’s arm is around kent’s shoulders, kent’s lips pressed against alexei’s pulse. the dick-shaped clover patch in the centre of the field is alive and well. alexei tucks a late-blooming daisy behind kent’s ear and kent snuggles in closer. they’re happy.