what's your favorite p&p adaptation?
I can’t answer this because it’s too hard so instead I’m going to tell you why all of them are awesome and why you should watch them.
The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
- It’s a modern adaptation in a series so it’s got this incredible way of translating it into modern times without leaving too much plot???
- For a webseries it’s really well produced. Acting, costumes, writing, etc. Goooood shit.
- SISTERLY BONDS SO STRONG
- “I dislike smiling. It contorts the face.”
- COSTUME THEATER! Where else are you gonna get costume theater with these characters?
- This is easily the best version of Fitz
- POC characters, which 0% of the other adaptations can boast, except for Bride & Prejudice which is bae
- Darcy is gr9 hi babe
- Honestly you could just watch for Jane she is the wife of all of us what a Queen
- Ashley Clements kills it, she’s astounding, I just adore her delivery.
- Mary Kate Wiles manages to make Lydia likable, which is pretty much impossible.
- This whole series is so quotable??? Like, wow????
- That first Dizzie kiss is A++++++++ THANK YOU ACTORS FOR GIVING THAT TO US WE LOVE YOU
- Side note, A+ for not slut shaming Lydia.
- LOOK THIS CAST IS THE CUTEST OMFG FITZ AND GIGI AND BING ugh cutie cast
- Takes place in the good ol’ USofA so it can also be a pretty rad on wheels social commentary
Bride & Prejudice
- IT’S A MUSICAL VERSION OF P&P!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!
- Aishwarya Rai is literally the most beautiful, beautiful, graceful, beautiful woman of all time, and she plays Lalita.
- Directed/written by a husband and wife team, like, A++ let’s always watch movies written by women and directed by them
- The Cobra Dance. Enough said.
- NO LIFE WITHOUT WIFE IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE GREATEST SONG OF ALL TIME
- “The lesbian.”
- I get all my dance moves from this movie; I’ve been watching it since I was a kid.
- “It’s just like screwing a lightbulb with one hand and pettin’ the dog with the other.” D A R C Y NOOOOO
- The commentary Lalita makes on India was really informative and the whole movie does that; I think it’s important for a person like me who lives in America and is really privileged to hear different perspectives of different countries like this. So thank you B&P for educating me on something I never would have learned about.
- Ashanti. As herself.
- THE COLORS AND THE CINEMATOGRAPHY !!!! OH GOD!!!!
- The whole plane ride with Lalita and Darcy destroys my soul. Destroys it.
- Did some say sexual tension?
- Like, oomph do these guys want to bad.
- I need three bullet points just to talk about how much they want to bang
- The hand flex???!!??! LORD HAVE MERCY ON MY SOUL THEY TOUCH HANDS AND I AM SINNING.
- I really liked the way Kira Knightley played Lizzy getting slighted by Darcy at the beginning. She actually seems offended. Which you don’t always see in the other versions.
- This movie is really cool because the director purposefully shot it so that the family looked like a real family and the viewer felt like they were kinda creepin’ on the Bennets. So it’s not composed, it’s like we’re always peering around corners or over shoulders.
- Bingley is an actual golden retriever.
- Also the cinematography!?!?!? like the scene where they’re both dancing and nobody else is in the room? That is gr9.
- Rain!Darcy is the greatest Darcy. Darcy should always be wet.
- Also his voice is deep. Like the bottom of the sea. But it sees into my soul.
- Bingley practicing his proposal on DarcY????? BROMANCE that is some goooood shit.
- The SOUNDTRACK lord sometimes I just listen to it over and over again. Sometimes @ananbeth will text me and be like “Rachel I’m listening to the P&P soundtrack” and I have to prepare myself for her tears. I cry.
- The house where they film Pemberley is so gorgeous? This movie is so aesthetic?
- Darcy’s smile when he’s laughing with Lizzy could make angels sing.
- The American ending of this movie is the greatest thing to happen to this country since Betty White, who is older than sliced bread. Like, hoooolly crap, I don’t care that it isn’t period appropriate, I will watch it 20 times over until I shrivel up into a prune of tears.
- And one last time, for the people in the back, SEXUAL TENSION.
- It’s basically the book. Like, the only difference is… well, you know. We’ll talk about later.
- There’s so much boobs. There’s boobs everywhere. This movie is probably the reason I’m bisexual (I’m just kidding but seriously boobs.)
- Colin. Firth. COLIN FIRTH. AS DARCY.
- I just love the costumes, idk why, I love me an empire waist line.
- Did I mention Colin Firth’s Darcy?
- I really love the way Jennifer Ehle plays Lizzy’s spirit. I feel that she captures Lizzy’s spirit really beautifully; she really grabs onto her lust for life. Kira also does that, but Jennifer was my first Lizzy so she’ll always be Lizzy to me.
- Colin Firth undresses and jumps into a lake in a white shirt.
- COLIN FIRTH FENCING
- Colin Firth in the bathtub
- colin firth starring as grumpy cat.
- Lydia is played probably closest to how the book intended her.
- Idk why but Mr. Bennet is perfect, I love him, I am his and he is mine, he will parent me forever with lil tummy and his glasses.
- Also this Mrs. Bennet is probs more accurate to book Mrs. Bennet but that kinda depends on how you read it.
- THE SCENERY IS SO GORGEOUS
- The “not at all, they were brightened by the exercise” scene is basically the reason I wake up in the morning. Darcy you have it so bad.
- I love the way you kinda see Darcy’s transition… because you spend so much time in this universe and with the characters, Darcy’s transition goes really slowly but smoothly. It’s not too fast, it’s just perfect. I love it.
Bridget Jones’ Diary
- Colin Firth’s triumphant return to grumpy cat.
- Actual quote from Colin Firth upon returning to the set: “Surprise bitch. I bet you thought you’d seen the last of me.”
- Bridget is all of us. She is literally a single, chubby, slightly alcoholic girl who loves Pride & Prejudice too much. Literally, there’s a bonus feature where she interviews Colin Firth about playing Mr. Darcy.
- If you’re looking for Mr. Darcy hopping into bed with someone, watch Bridget Jones’ Diary. He says “I happen to like your wobbly bits” and that makes me happy.
- Also I feel like you see his butt and that’s important because Mr. Darcy’s butt is very important for science.
- The bunny scene? Mmmmmmm.
- DARCY IN THE KITCHEN HE COOKS AND IT’S AMAZING
- allll byyyy myyyseeellfff
- “I like you just the way you are.”
- Darcy and Wickham BITCH FIGHT it’s incredible and it’s raining men is playing in the background oh my god. I’m gonna go rewatch that scene right now goodbye friends.