Today is the 4 year anniversary of the death of Savita Halappanavar. Savita was a 31-year old Indian dentist living in Ireland. She was married to Praveen Halappanavar.
- On October 21, 2012, Savita was admitted to the University Hospital Galway due to extreme back pain.
- In the early hours of October 22 her water broke.
- On October 23, upon being told that the fetus will not survive, she asks for a termination and is told it’s not legally possible in Ireland while there is a fetal heartbeat. She is told ‘this is a Catholic country’ by Midwife manager Ann Maria Burke.
- On October 24, Savita delivers a dead female fetus.
- At 1:09am, on Sunday October 28, Savita dies.
Many pro-lifers will say it wasn’t the miscarriage that killed her, it was septicemia and terminating the pregnancy wouldn’t have done any good. Had the hospital aborted the pregnancy as soon as the water broke, Savita would have lived as septicemia doesn’t occur in healthy pregnant people unless the water has broken and the longer the period between the “water breaking” and the baby’s birth, the higher the chance of an infection especially when there is a dying human inside someone’s body.
However, pro-life policies don’t only exist in Ireland. Here, in the US, Catholic hospitals have started to endanger lives based on pro-life ideology. Listen to this story of a woman who’s child was not going to survive and what the pro-life Catholics did to her and her family. Or this story, told by the OB/GYN taking care of her, of a young woman who came to a pro-life Catholic hospital in the US and, in a shockingly similar story to Savita’s, was denied an abortion and how that nearly costed her her life.
Pro-life laws and policies are killing people. Someone’s religion should not impact the way another person gets care. Savita, and many others, die because of pro-life ideas. Either because abortion is illegal, impossible to obtain, or because the people who are supposed to care for you simply refuse to do so. This has to end. We cannot have people die in hospitals fully equipped to care for them and simply refuse to due to their personal political or religious stance or have people nearly kill themselves to terminate an unwanted pregnancy because it’s either illegal or impossible to obtain.