Ayam Sambal Matah & Urap Bali
(Balinese Chicken with raw herbs and spiced vegetables)
1. Marinade chicken in salt and lime juice, roast until cooked through. Cool and shred.
2. Finely chop: 6 lemongrass stalks (use only the white & tender parts), 6 bird’s eye chillies (more or less according to your preference to heat), 4 shallots, 1 kefir lime leaf. Add 5 tbs warmed coconut oil and 1 tsp lime juice. Season with salt (me: 1.5 tsp)
3. Mix sambal matah (point 2) with shredded chicken.
4. Steam vegetables for the urap (commonly green beans and bean.sprouts) just for a flash, I like my veggies crisp and fresh, don’t you?
5. Grind into a paste: 1 stalk lemongrass (again–white and tender parts only), 2 cloves of garlic, 1 shallot, 0.5 cm garlic, 0.5 galangal, 2 bird’s eye chillies (more or none even– according to your preference). Salt to taste.
6. Mix shredded coconuts with paste number 5, and incorporate well with vegetables.
Your Balinese lunch best enjoyed along some steamed rice…. ;)