Sometimes you just don’t know where to start! I hope that this post will help some beginner green witches 💚
Beginner-Friendly Plants :
Dandelions - Good friends! They are plentiful and they help the environment so much. Often mistaken for weeds! They can be used in wish spells or divination
Marigolds - Very, very easy to grow. Repels all kinds of pests, wonderful to have a hedge of in your garden! Good in spells concerning legal matters and protection.
Spider plants - Kind, air-purifying friends that happily grow anywhere. They produce so many pups, you’ll really only need to buy one! Good for spells concerning warding, banishing, and cleansing (of oneself or a room)
Succulents (esp Echeveria and Sempervivum) - They need little more than a sunny window and periodic watering, and they are so nice to have around! Good for spells concerning the home and protection (of said home, or loved ones)
Tomatoes - If you’re starting a garden, it’s pretty hard to screw up tomatoes (it’s okay if you do, tho, I did too.) You get delicious fruit and once they’re done, they can be plowed back into the soil for nutrients. Good for spells involving love and fertility (more than just making children!)
Lettuce - Easy to propagate from storebought produce (though it’s better to start from a seed) and it’s delicious! (Spray it with garlic water to keep pests off, surround with marigold hedge.) Good for spells involving wealth and self love
Remember to water your plants! This is something even I forget to do, so it’s important building healthy habits
Don’t use pesticide/herbicide! They’re super, super awful for the environment. There are tons of natural alternatives
I can personally vouch for the Epsom salts, vinegar, and dish soap herbicide recipe!
These aren’t the only plants you’re limited to, I encourage you to branch out
Look into companion planting, your babes will help protect each other. There are lots of great charts
Astrology has lots of guides for when to plant your babes, if you’re into that (I am)
Talking and singing to your plants does in fact help them grow. Even if you’re bad at it, or don’t know what to say. They enjoy listening
Green thumbs, red palms
No one is born with a green thumb. I have killed my fair share of plants, I have stumbled and fallen in my craft. But I’ve been at it for a while! You’ll get there, I promise
Have no mercy when pulling weeds or killing pests in your garden
If your plants die even when you’re doing everything right, they have taken a curse or ill will in your place
Prune your plants (especially your house plants) often. They help to get bad vibes from your home, so it gets stored in the dead bits
Don’t ever plant mint in the ground. It’ll take over your garden, your yard, your life. It becomes a hellish nuisance you can’t get rid of. Just, don’t. Please.
who in their right FUCKING MIND thought it was a good idea to design and create KYLO MOTHERFUCKING REN? a tragic backstory, wears ALL BLACK ALL THE TIME, cries when confronted with murder, and fuckin’ relentlessly makes snarky comments in inappropriate situations? this punk bitch is not even CLOSE to being a punk bitch, either, with his stupid ass cool ass fucking lightsaber that crackles as a physical representation of his instability and his goddamn helmet that he doesn’t even NEED to wear and only takes it off when confronted about it (that motherfucker probably doesn’t even like it, just wants to be cool). he fuckin’ gets shot by chewie’s ‘this shit took down a fucking vehicle with explosions and shit’ crossbow and STANDS THE FUCK BACK UP LIKE SOMEONE MERELY BRUSHED PAST HIM IN THE HALLWAY. WHAT THE FUCK? WHO IS HE? SOME FUCKING GOD? NO, BUT HE’S A GODDAMN FORCE SENSITIVE AND FUCKIN HELD A BLASTER SHOT IN PLACE FOR ONE MINUTE AND 29 SECONDS, ALL WHILE DEALING WITH POE DAMERON, FORMER CHILDHOOD FRIEND. EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER, RIGHT? WRONG. MY GUY KYLO BARELY GIVES HIM TIME TO SPEAK. LATER CHEWIE SHOOTS HIM IN THE GUT AND THEN THIS SHITTY FUCKING BYRONIC HERO PROCEEDS TO CHASE A SCAVENGER AND A DEFECTED STORMTROOPER INTO THE GODDAMN WOODS AND FIGHTS THEM FOR LONGER THAN A NORMAL PERSON WOULD HAVE LIVED AFTER AN EXPLOSIVE HIT THEM IN THE LIVER. BUT OKAY DUDE, WHATEVER REN. DO YOUR THING. FUCKIN RISK DEATH FOR A MAP YOU COULD’VE GOTTEN WHILE REY WAS ASLEEP. BUT WHATEVER. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE A GENTLEMAN AND ALL, LETTING HER WAKE UP OF HER OWN ACCORD, TAKING YOUR FUCKING MASK OFF FOR HER, SPEAKING BARELY ABOVE A WHISPER, TELLING HER THAT ‘IT HURTS YOU TO HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY’ AND THAT YOU’LL ‘GO AS GENTLY AS POSSIBLE.’ EVEN THOUGH YOU KNOW, YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO BE A DARK SIDER AND ALL. WHY NOT JUST TERRORIZE HER AND NEARLY KILL HER LIKE YOU DID TO POE? KNOW WHY? BECAUSE SHE MAKES HIS INSIDES MELT, THAT’S WHY. AND JUST BECAUSE THIS HOOLIGAN HAS COMPASSION FOR THE GIRL DOESN’T MEAN HE IS ANY LESS OF A BADASS. IT MAKES HIM EVEN BETTER, KNOWING THAT HE’S CAPABLE OF FIGHTING WITH HIS SPUTTERING, DANGEROUS AF FIRE-SWORD AGAINST TWO PEOPLE INEXPERIENCED IN ANY SORT OF ‘CLASSICAL BATTLE TACTIC’ AND STILL ABLE TO, Y’KNOW, FEEL THINGS AND SHOW THAT HE’S A PERSON. HE’S SO EXTRA AND THROWS HIMSELF INTO UNNECESSARY DANGER FOR THE HELL OF IT, ALL THE WHILE LOOKING FLY AS FUCK WITH HIS FLOOFY-ASS FUCKING HAIR AND HIS BLACK ROBES, LOOKING LIKE SOME DARK PRINCE. (on a more serious note, poor kylo fucking hates himself and his life so much that i’m pretty sure he wouldn’t care if he died, thus why he doesn’t care when he’s in such situations. he’s miserable. he ‘wants to be free of this pain’ and all.) BUT HE’S HARDCORE, DUDE. AND HE’S FULL OF SO MUCH SNARK AND SALT ALL THE TIME, DISHING OUT INSULT AFTER SARCASTIC INSULT TO HUX AND FINN AND POE AND IT’S ABSOLUTELY SOMETHING A SOLO/SKYWALKER WOULD DO.
I FUCKING LOVE KYLO REN.
so who thought it was cool to create him, a fuckin’ lightsaber-wielding, sharp-tongued, unpredictable, angst-filled Mr. Darcy and put him in the midst of ‘pride and prejudice: in space’? i want to know so i can punch you in the throat and kiss you on the mouth.
What better time to set out good intentions than during the New Moon? It is a time of enticing mystery, and a wonderful period to ponder what you wish to change in your life… What you wish to create, and to make new. This is also wonderful for new witches, or witches on a budget // tight schedule! ♡
• Ask yourself one simple question: “What do I really wish to change?” This can be something as deep as, “I am hoping to forget about a certain someone / something and move on,” or as simple as, “an overall better attitude.” Write down your intention on a candle. (If the only candle you have access to is in a glass jar, write your intention on a slip of paper and place it in front of or taped to your candle).
• If you’d like, it is also possible to “boost” your little ritual with small personal items - safely surround your candle with meaningful photos, totems, herbs, crystals, or trinkets that possess your unique, strong energies, or have a correlation to your stated intention (ex: “I want to put more into my art projects;” try adding a colored pencil). :-) You may also consider adding a simple dish of salt for general protection!
• Now, it is time for the ritual itself! It can take place on the night before or the night of the New Moon. Essentially, this is a period of meditation. Light your candle, and sit before it. Why do you feel so strongly about your intention? It’s because it’s something you really want, right? Let this thought sink in… And really concentrate on this change you seek becoming a reality. You are fully capable of pursuing your dreams. Visualize this change as a bright, warm, physical being, encompassing you in new possibilities and positivity. Allow yourself to be flushed of all negative influences; instead, being filled with the strong influence of the New Moon. You, too, can be new.
• Once your candle has gone out, let it sit for as long as you like - a day, a week, until the next New Moon, or when you feel that your intention has been fulfilled. Look to your melted candle in times of stress, or stand before it, centering yourself. Remind yourself of your wishes; that they can indeed come true, and - of course… that you are capable of whatever life decides to throw at you. We are constantly changing, just as the moon is - and she’s always beautiful regardless, isn’t she? ♡🌙
If you use incense but don’t want to use a whole stick, you can put it out in a dish of salt. The salt can clear the intentions the incense was for so you can use it again, the ashes will turn that salt into pretty charged black salt and you get to save a bit of $ on incense ✨
This is just my short take on my own personal experiences in college, as a bio student!! It’s really short, so i might write more someday??
The room smells like bleach.
It always smells like bleach.
You reach for a loop, sterilize it over the flame, let it cool, and plunge it into the broth. Biology is one of those overlooked talents, but it’s close enough to chemistry so you rarely lose anyone.
Marissa disappeared a few years back.
You never liked Marissa.
You swipe the wet iron loop around the petri dish, treating the solidified agar with… you check the label. Acinteobacter baumanii. After setting the plate down, and covering it, you swipe the loop through the flame again.
Iron loops, salted plates, a dish of cream on the doorstep. All preventative measures that help you get through the day. You thumb at your iron necklace, which doubles as a stim toy, and paw at the salt in your pocket. Today feels.
“Good morning,” your lab partner, Delphinus says, coming into the room.
She smells like poppies and incense, so you avoid eye contact.
It takes another ten minutes for your other lab partner, Tulip, to show up, and the three of you continue to silently contaminate agar plates.
“So, any plans for spring break?” Delphinus asks, and you remain silent. You know it’s a probe, you know you never tell them where you’re going. If you tell them, then They will know.
“I’ll be going back to my house with my family,” Tulip says, and she hisses as her skin burns. She knows not to lie, it’s the deal she made first year.
Perfect grades, perfect jobs, perfect houses. Not a single lie.
“What about you?” Delphinus asks, and you remain quiet. If you lie, you will be punished. If you tell the truth, you will be taken.
If you promote silence, you will skate by.
You finish saturating you plates, and clean up your station before silently slipping out.
It takes fifteen minutes to walk from your lab to your dorm.
Well, in reality, it should only be a simple cross of the street. But you know where the sprinklers are. Today feels different, it feels.
You reach your dorm, your boots damp with the sprinkler water. You throw open the window, and smile at the crows. The crows have always taken a liking to you, you give them raw grain and set your computer to play biology lectures out loud every afternoon. Your personal favorite, Exodus, is playing with a younger crow today, her child. You smile at the young crow, and go for the bag of grain. Before sticking your hand out of the window, you make sure to thumb your iron necklace, just in case.
A sprinkling of grain for a feather, one from Exodus and one from her child, whom you name Siobhan. The crows sing their appreciation, and you sit against your wall, the quiet drone of your professor’s recorded voice lulling you away.
The crows have been your only friends for the last three years.
Other students don’t enjoy the idea of being left in the dark, they want to know, more more more.
“You’re too closed off!” “You never tell us about you!” “Come on, we’re friends now, just give me your name!”
Some whisper that you’ve been cursed, your GPA lends to that idea.
Some say you were born like this, and you’re simply too scared to tell anyone.
Other say that you’re one of them, and if you speak, your voice will destroy the minds of all who hear it.
It’s really none of that, it’s just that you’re a legacy child, when your father came here before you, and hopped around from major to major, he never carried himself from one place to another, he left bits and pieces of himself in many different places.
You’ve only ever had the one major, so you can’t have that luxury.
So you simply stay quiet.
The last time you spoke was orientation, day one, hour one.
It was your name.
Marissa, the cruel one that she was, she took you true name, and she twisted it, and tarnished it and burnt it, and you knew you could never speak up to that name, publicly at least.
But you could commit one horrible act, so people would forget your name.
And what the fae did to Marissa was worth every thing you gave, every word and sound you’ve ever uttered.
🇹🇹 ( LEFT): Salt Fish Boljol:
This is a spicy and peppery preparation is salt fish or cod fish.. It can be made two ways, either sauté salt fish with onions, sweet pepper and tomatoes or combining all The ingredients with hot oil.
🇹🇹 (RIGHT): Tomato Choka:
Roasted tomatoes sautéed with pinions, garlic, pepper and tossed.
They are both surveys with coconut bake.. Which is a special type of think harder bread with more flavour and substance.
Could you share the recipe for the chicken tonkatsu? It looks really good and I'm so going to making it, but I have a history of picking the worst possible recipe. Also how do you always have such amazing meals? Like seriously, I'm in awe of your ability to do so so consistently.
Mom insisted I start cooking dinner 2-3 nights a week back in high school, partly becuase I was a teen and therefore do teen chores, and partly so I wouldn’t poison myself eating “medium rare chicken” when I left home. If you want more recipies, I also have @tonightsdinneris, which I’ll try to update more.
…and maybe get some real placemats.
As many as you need to feed people (basically , cut a chicken breast flatwise to get two flat pieces of chicken.)
1 egg per cutlet
You know the cheap, off-brand rice crispies that are like, a buck? that.
Big old bunch of Chinese Broccoli/Gai Lan
couple cloves of garlic
couple green onions
sesame seeds OR slivered almonds
booze, bourbon’s good for this
Salt & Pepper
olive oil or the like, for frying
Pre-made tonkatsu sauce, I have no clue how to make it from scratch also I’ve been on my feet for 12 hours already so fuckit.jpg
Optional, if you’re not a weenie like my fiance: Red pepper flakes. Like, the kind that come in packets with dominoes.
stove with working burners and oven
RICE COOKER THAT’S NOT A FILTHY LIAR.
spatula/tongs/other means of prodding things in a hot pan
2 small bowls
plates and utensils to eat with
like that last part seems like a joke but I’ve made dinner without realizing i didn’t have clean plates before. make sure you got that first
Pre-heat oven to 450F. IDK what that is in metric.
cover baking sheet with foil and cooking spray.
measure out and start cooking appropriate amount of rice. No, more than that.
rinse Gai Lan and pull the leaves off. chop the stems into 2-inch pieces and roughly chop the leaves. I know, that’s a huge pile of leaves, don’t worry about it.
chop up garlic and white part of green onions, then chop up green part, keeping them separate.
Toss stems with olive oil, salt and pepper. doesn’t need a lot this stuff soaks up flavor. Spread out on a single layer on half the baking sheet and throw in the over for like, 10 minutes.
Also, heat up some oil in the pan.
rinse and if necessary, cut chicken breasts into cutlets. if you’ve already cut them, good job you!
take about a cup of not-rice-crispies per cutlet in a plastic bag, and smash it repeatedly on the counter until mostly pulverized. pour that in one of the small bowls. You could, I suppose, use panko but honestly this stuff has a better texture and is a fuckton cheaper?
break eggs into other bowl and whisk like you’re making scrambled eggs.
season cutlets with salt & pepper (this dish is hella mild because my fiance was kind of sick to his stomach, add whatever seasoning you want. Ginger and Cumin go good on this too)
dip cutlets in egg, then press into the crispies on both sides.
fry cutlets in pan for 2-3 minutes on meduim. They ought to be done right around when the timer for the gai lan comes on. don’t turn off the heat or clean the pan yet.
Prod gai lan stems with spatula to flip, and place cutlets on other side of the pan. Return tray to oven for another 6-8 minutes.
while those finish cooking, add more oil to pan, and fry garlic, white parts of onions and the sesame seeds/almonds until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
of stuff starts sticking to the pan, toss a shot of bourbon in there and stir everything while it bubbles. if you’re not used to this, it’s gonna bubble and steam like crazy, mind your face.
once the steam dies down, toss in the leaves and stir until leaves are wilted, about 2-4 minutes.
once chicken and stems are done, combine stems and leaves and serve with rice, chicken and sauce.
UNLESS YOUR RICE COOKER IS A FILTHY LIAR THAT TAKES 45 GODDAMN MINUTES TO COOK SOME RICE YOU LAZY SLACKER.
Important Note: This is a repost from my deleted Tumblr, it took me over 12 hours to write and make so please share it, it is my most important piece of work and most tips ever put together about pro ana, if you could like and share it would help me so much!
Everything I post Now has to have a Disclaimer like this to inform that I do not condone any of this tips I only post them to help everyone that asks me to and I advise not doing some of this unhealthy ones (Check out my safe ones instead)! Also, follow my Snapchat at (aothexie) for my daily tips and routine snaps!
Thank you so much, now enjoy!
001. Keep a thinspiration book. Get a really nice journal or something and print pictures of skinny models, tips, quotes, or workouts, and glue it in there. Look through it whenever you want to binge.
002. Keep a stack of magazines weighing the same amount you want to lose. When you lose weight remove some magazines from the stack. It will be thinspirational to see that pile slowly start to get smaller.
003. Eat on a blue or black plate. Dark colors usually make you feel fuller, faster. Better yet, eat on small dark plates.
004. When you want to eat something you shouldn’t, make a list of all the reasons you shouldn’t, and read it 20 times.
005. When you get a craving, count to 100 really slowly, and it might pass.
006. If you live by yourself, put up motivational pictures or numbers on the unsafe foods. Stick your goal weight to the peanut butter jar.
007. Get one of those three ring binders and make a section for each part of the body. Put all the exercises you’ve got in there according to what body part there for.
008. Pick one food for the day, like an apple. Cut it into 4 quarters. Eat one part for breakfast, one for lunch, one for dinner, and you’ve got one left over for a snack.
009. Take a Polaroid picture of yourself wearing nothing but your underwear. When you want to binge, look at it, and see all that fat that you need to get rid of? Carry it in your wallet whenever you go somewhere where there will be food.
010. If you live by yourself and prone to binges, buy only the food you need for the day. That way if you eat it, there isn’t anymore.
011. Eat with the opposite hand you normally do. Left handed people eat with their right hand, and vice versa.
012. Wear a rubber band around your wrist and snap it when you want to eat. You’ll train yourself not to think about eating.
013. Spend a little time every day on pro-anorexic sites or doing something completely and totally thinspirational.
014. Clean something gross like a litter box when you want to eat.
015. Wear tight tight jeans so you remember how much weight you have to lose.
016. Pour tons of something gross on your food like salt or dish soap so you can’t eat it. (if your eating out, use the former, and say you accidentally put too much salt on, and its too salty)
017. If you get really bad headaches it could possibly be from dehydration so drink lots of water.
018. Eat in front of the mirror. Hell, eat in front of the mirror naked and see how much you want to eat then.
019. Drink herbal teas. They have no calories. If you don’t like them unsweetened, buy some splenda. Or if you’re more in to natural stuff, try stevia, its like sugar, but no cals.
020. When you get the urge to eat chew sugar free gum. Just make sure you keep track of how much you have. Most kinds have 5 calories a piece.
021. Freeze your foods. I freeze yogurt and make ice cubes out of Crystal Lite. Frozen yogurts take forever to eat so you feel occupied longer.
022. When you go to a restaurant order something that’s not too unhealthy. Put half of it in a doggy bag and say your going to eat it tomorrow for lunch. Then eat half of what’s on your plate and “forget” the doggy bag in the restaurant.
023. Eat breakfast and lunch or just breakfast, never eat dinner cause if you eat dinner you don’t give your body enough time to burn off the calories.
024. Go shopping and try on clothes that you wish you could fit you and that should stop your craving for food.
025. Pinch all your fat if you want to eat and see how disgusting it is and then you’ll think that if you eat you’ll just add more to it and you don’t want that.
026. If you can go to your kitchen and take all the bad foods that you know you will binge on and just throw them away.
027. Make sure you get enough calcium. Take your vitamin.
028. If you sit a lot every hour get up and go crazy start dancing or jumping stupidly or anything like that it will boost your metabolism for a little.
029. Stay away from food and the kitchen there evil!(unless your parents are around, then pretend like you just finished getting a snack)
030. Have you ever noticed that most people who you see eating are fat? Well remember this if you eat like them you’ll be as fat as them.
031. Try to plan how much your going to eat and what there’s a 30% more chance you wont over eat then.
032. Look at supermodels do they look like they eat?! No! So if you REALLY want to look like them them don’t eat.
033. A calorie is a calorie so it doesn’t matter what kind you eat just eat under 1000 and you’ll lose weight.
034. Make a meal plan with all the days and put the limit of calories you’ll allow yourself to after you eat write down what you ate.
035. To keep a binge from coming go outside, do 20 pushups and then 20 jumping jacks after you won’t feel like eating anymore. Better yet, do them in front of the mirror. naked.
036. To boost your metabolism and keep you feeling full drink several green tea’s each day.
037. Every ana should take at least one multivitamin per day, no calories, but essential for every ana.
038. Two tablespoons of vinegar before the meal helps suck the fat out.
039. Caffeine is great ~ it decreases appetite.
040. Peppermint tea or lollies are a great appetite suppressant.
041. Diet Cola, Pepsi or Pepsi Max are 1 cal per can ~ drink, drink, drink…
042. Don’t stop moving’ ~ every cal counts.
043. Don’t swallow ~ chew and spit.
044. Eat seaweed or kelp pills ~ they say it boosts the metabolism.
045. Don’t slouch, sit straight ~ you burn more cals that way.
046. Dress down, more cals are burnt when you’re cold.
047. Lack of sleep stimulates appetite ~ but burns more cals.
048. Spicy foods boost the metabolism.
049. Eat negative cal foods.
050. Eat lots of celery ~ a negative cal food too.
051. Drink at least 3 liters of water per day ~ it will help you feel full.
052. Munch on ice cubes to create a feeling of fullness.
053. Take it slow ~ it takes 20 minutes for the stomach to realize it is full.
054. Eat lots of fiber ~ expands in your stomach to create a full feeling.
055. Don’t eat in front of the telly ~ concentrate on the food while you eat ~ you get more satisfied.
056. Eat vegetarian sausages instead of real meat.
057. Do 50 sit ups every morning ~ it will raise your metabolism and make you more motivated to do things throughout the day.
058. Cabbage makes you lose weight ~ but watch out for the smell!!!
059. Strawberries are lo cal and boost the metabolism.
060. Drink one glass of water every hour.
061. Eat negative calorie foods at least 2 times a day.
062. Weigh yourself before and AFTER every time you eat.
063. Exercise 2 times the amount of calories you eat.
064. Eat 6 small meals a day spaced about 3 hours apart. at 50 calories 6 times a day that is only 300 calories.
065. Let yourself binge once a week. and ONLY ONCE.
066. Eat standing up, move around while you eat.
067. Watch other people eat..and feel superior!!!
068. Find pictures of overweight people and put them in various places around your house.
069. Find a buddy, compete.
070. Once a week treat yourself. take a bubble bath..listen to relaxing music, get a massage, give yourself a manicure, a facial..etc. anything to pamper yourself…to relax …as a destresser..and to reward yourself for your good work for the week.
071. Spend a little time each day at pro anorexia sites. or reading your e-mails for motivation.
072. Until you reach your goal you want to wear tight jeans. baggy tops are great. but make sure your jeans are tight.
073. Ever noticed how (most anyway) little kids are skinny? They are always running around! Take their example.
074. Stay cold.
075. If you feel like you’re going to eat, but don’t need it, put a few drops of vinegar on your tongue.
076. Cut your food into tiny pieces.
077. Eat with chop sticks if you’re alone.
078. Write in a journal as much as you need to to keep you from eating.
079. Work on a Rexy “Bible” with sayings, pictures, tips, and whatever you want.
080. Make a drawing or collage that reminds you of your goals and keeps you motivated.
081. Stand whenever you can.
082. Move whenever you can.
083. Keep your hands busy.
084. Practice visualizing yourself thin.
085. Eat only half of the recommended serving, then go back for the rest later.
086. When eating with friends, try to talk as much as possible. This way they stuff themselves and you burned cals talking and not eating.
087. If you must eat at the table with the family do not pile food upward on your plate. Try to keep it close to the plate and spread out this way your plate looks full with lots of food, but isn’t.
088. If you must eat at the table, talk a lot and take a drink with EVERY bite or every other bite to fill up and make you look active at the table.
089. The best aerobic exercises are stair stepping, walking up hill, and biking. Be sure to hit the weights first though. Try to stick to low impact exercises…also swimming is good.
090. When you’re at the grocery store, you should look around at people and note their fatness. Look at what is in their cart and realize that those foods are making and keeping them fat. Therefore you don’t need or want them.
091. If you are feeling unstable around food, look at it and say (out loud or to yourself) “I CONTROL THE FOOD! THE FOOD DOES NOT CONTROL ME!”
092. Ditch the all or nothing frame of mind. So you ate to much…STOP RIGHT NOW. Don’t wait to stop after your fifth sixth or seventh doughnut! I mean come on that’s at least another 300 cals and 24 grams of fat you stopped from going into your body.
093. Avoid liquid calories.
094. Take your multivitamin. Take a calcium supplement too.
Probably one of the biggest influences on a lot of Wiccans has been Scott Cunningham’s Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. Scott talks a bit about the ritual tools and gives a suggested altar setup, facing North:
How does this work in practice?
It’s not terrible, but it’s not great - of particular confusion to me is the location of the central placement of the cauldron, although Scott does say that you can put the materials for whatever spell or ritual you’re doing there instead. Assuming you leave the cauldron out then you’ve got an acceptable setup, no obvious fire hazards aside from the Fire candle being in front of the censer, which could be tricky when you add more incense. It’s still better than putting it right at the southern edge, but it’s still not the greatest idea. I am particularly interested that the incense itself is so far away from the censer, but I feel that Scott views the incense itself has having an Airy quality - the censer is centrally placed so as to offer the smoke to both the God and the Goddess.
I am not a fan of putting the crystal ball on the altar for no discernable reason, and I am currently of the opinion that a crystal ball should be used for divination only and as such should be kept in the dark or dim light, but that’s just me. I do not really see the utility of the bell, and have never used one in ritual.
Now, I never actually laid hands on a copy of the Solitary Guide until I was well advanced in learning. No, the very first book on any sort of pagan witchcraft I ever read was D.J. Conway’s Celtic Magic, which is…..ah, not the best book. It’s a very low-quality book, but somehow I managed to develop critical thinking and become well-read. Conway gives the following setup, facing East:
Which gives this result:
So, a few things. First, god damn, why is the sword on the altar itself, and how big is your altar that you can easily do that? Are we looking at tiny swords here (what is this, a sword for ants?)? I do not like the arrangement of chalice, water dish, and salt dish at all, and as you can see this leaves little if any room for the athame and wand. Why is the censer towards the North? Why is the left side so much more crowded than the right? No, I do not like this altar setup at all, and would never use such a layout.
Silver RavenWolf gives an example setup in her book Solitary Witch that I have on my bookshelf for some reason, which suggests the following North-pointing arrangement:
With my tool set we get this result:
Generally okay, although I’m curious about there being only one deity statue. She clearly states that the two candles at the rear are illuminator candles with no special purpose, and I don’t know why the Fire candle is in this weird no-man’s-land in the southeast (why not just move it to the southeastern corner of the altar?) but aside from that it’s inoffensive and is notable in that it’s the first layout we see here with a space for the ritual book as well as the plate of cakes (well, Triscuits in this case, but that’s all I had in the kitchen).
I’m not sure what she suggests in her other works as I was unable to find decent PDFs to see her setup. I read Teen Witch once and I just don’t recall what she says on the subject of altars in that book.
This is my outdoor altar for honoring the local nature spirits! The crystals I’ve set up are prehnite, chlorite phantom crystals, rainbow aura quartz, circle stone, moss agate, rainforest jasper, smoky quartz, aventurine, and malachite. There’s also a shaman stone sitting in the corner. The incense is geranium, lavender, and jasmine. The candle is white and cedar/sage scented. I’ve sprinkled some dried red flowers from the trees onto it, too. There’s a dish of salt for purification and under that are two pieces of paper: one with a poem I wrote about the awe of nature, the other one an invocation for the blessings of spirits of my garden, the trees, land spirits, ancestral spirits, and to tell wandering ghosts to leave me alone.
So I set up this altar with the intention of honoring the local nature spirits, and also to protect from some of the creepy things wandering around at night (I live right next to a busy highway where people die in traffic accidents ALL the time. On top of that, my area was once home to a large Native American population and historians are pretty sure that all these houses are built on old burial grounds and dwellings and stuff).
So yeah, I wanted to make an altar basically to honor and acquaint myself with the nature spirits while simultaneously warding off nasty spirits who want to cause harm.
I set up the altar. I’m a Reiki practitioner so I blessed it, drew a combination of Reiki symbols and personal symbols I find empowerment in, and that’s really it. You can’t see it in the picture but I drew sigils and symbols in chalk on the ground around the altar too.
My siblings both sat down by the altar to get a feel for it. My brother’s input was that the altar felt like a HUGE beacon, like a lighthouse, and the altar might attract all kinds of stuff as a result. He said that it felt good and warm and happy and all that, but it felt like too much. My sister said the same thing. All of us (myself included) felt like I’d done something to piss them off, like I was imposing on their territory needlessly. Since that was the opposite of what I wanted to do, I felt bad but kept the altar up regardless to see if these were well-founded fears or if I was just psyching myself out.
I smudged the altar, blessed the altar, set my intention, burned the incense, and drew symbols that matched my intention, but the feeling I got was that I shouldn’t have made an altar in the first place. Last night I couldn’t sleep and felt creeped out, so i don’t know if maybe I was just out of my depth with this one and the local spirits are just not friendly toward people at all. Or maybe I should stand my ground and leave offerings, meditate in front of the altar, etc.
I’ve made outdoor altars in the past and none of them have felt like this or made me creeped out.
This is a longer version of my question from early this morning, but if anyone has any advice on what to do with this altar please let me know!
You smile up at the waiter as they set down your bowl of soup, and then your boyfriend’s. When you take a spoonful, however, your nose scrunches up at the amount of salt. You hate salty dishes, but your boyfriend loves them. As is tradition on the first Friday of every month, you go to your favourite restaurant and order the same soup as one another - he orders his with a little more salt and you order yours with absolutely none. The waiters must have gotten your orders mixed up, because your mouth goes dry with the sheer force of the taste in your mouth.
I’ve had a few questions and requests to explain my set up and how I care for my hermit crabs. This is just how I do it, and I’d like to stress that I am not an expert and I’m still learning myself. Make sure to do your own research in regards to any information in this post.
Glass aquarium - I’m really not too sure about the exact size, but it is fairly large
Substrate - Mixture of coco fibre and washed children’s play sand. The tank also has a pure sand pit area and has a false bottom made of large pebbles to allow for drainage.
Lighting/heating - cheap aquarium light from eBay - not necessary but I like to add a natural day/night cycle. Heating pad. Digital hydrometer and thermometer.
Structure - Foam rock background cut to fit to encourage natural climbing behaviour. Wooden rodent bendy bridges used as dividers and against wall all climbing toys. XL piece of goldvine as centrepiece and climbing toy. Wooden rodent climbing tube.
Bowls- Large white fresh water bowl (as you can see in the above pic the crab can fully submerge). Smaller salt water dish (to be replaced with larger bowl that crabs can fully submerge in). Two food dishes, one for staple diet and one for treats and fresh food.
Extras - Vines for decoration and climbing, Repurposed reptile hide, dollar store auction cup shower caddy used to hold moss and spare shells, spare shells, pinecones for climbing and cuttlebone for calcium.
Food - I don’t feed commercial food. I use a mix of coconut, shredded oats, seeds, dried fruit and seaweed as an everyday food. In addition to that I also give fresh fruits and vegetables as treats. Rarely I’ll also give them a pinch of good quality fish flakes or dried shrimp as a treat.
Daily: I spray the tank daily with declorinated water, and refresh the salt and fresh water. I find my crabs like to trek substrate in their bowls a lot so they don’t stay clean for long. I also feed a small amount of my staple diet every day, and make sure to remove and clean any old food/treats. I also daily check for mould and spot clean if necessary.
Weekly: Clean and reset. I remove the top layer of substrate and any soiled parts being carful to not disturb any crabs that may be buried below moulting. I replace with a layer of fresh substrate. On my big cleaning day I also fix any plants or decorations that the crabs may have disturbed and I shuffle their spare shells around. I also clean all the bowls with boiling water.
Monthly: I clean the glass with warm declorinated water and clean all of the lids.
As for where I got my supplies I really don’t have a concrete answer as their tank was given to me by a relative and many of the other supplies have been frankesteined over time from many different stores. I do have some tips though. Bird and rodent toys often work really well for hermit crabs, especially natural wooden toys as they can climb them very easily and they’re nontoxic. Just make sure to check any wooden objects for mould and clean them often. You can also use reptile supplies.
Hope this answers any questions you may have about my tank and crabbies! If there’s anything else you’re curious about, or if you see something I can improve on feel free to message me.
(And yes my crab is white ^^. These are Australian hermit crabs)
@amazingpetenclosures - hope you don’t mind me tagging you. I received most of these questions after you reblogged my set up.
also thank you to @fantasticbeastsandhowtokeepthem for your lovely advice!
I actually don’t remember who told me this. I don’t know if it was my grandma, my mentor lady, my mom or if I just made it up. Here goes!
What you need:
a key that doesn’t belong to anything (old key, skeleton key, craft key, etc)
A bed preferably with posts or a headboard but no biggie if not
tape/string/cup hook/some sort of attachment thing
Salt and tea light are optional but may be helpful
What to do:
Charge the key with positive energy and the intent to shoo away the nightmares.
If using salt, put key in dish with it with a white candle and let it charge for however long you feel necessary.
Using the tape/string/some sort of attachment device, secure the key to the back of the furthest bedpost of the headboard from where you normally sleep. (If you don’t have a headboard, like me, either smush it between the mattress and box spring or the entire bed at the corner)
This holiday season I made a book of shadows for a young acquaintance who is just starting out in their study of the craft. Rather than provide them with a commercially produced spellbook that covers only the practical aspects of magic and does not provide enough detail on the basics, or an encyclopedia that provides too much, I elected to make and bind a grimoire by hand, and fill it with a brief overview of what I consider to be the most commonly requested information. I have transcribed it below, for those of you who wish to read it. If it is well-received and if I have time, I intend to expound upon it in the future.