This is Cecilia Hackle-Brown, my great aunt on my mother’s side. I painted her in acrylic on board (33cm or 13 inches diameter).
According to what I’ve read, Aunt Cecilia has been kept under wraps in my family for a few reasons. None are entirely justified, but hey, times were different then. She was born in Ottawa, Canada in 1898 and died in Hobart, Tasmania in 1939. Her list of life achievements include:
* Founder the first all-girl Shakespearean puppet theatre of Canada.
* Founder of the first lesbian nightclub in Ottawa (for which she was arrested twice).
* Uncanny communication skills with spaniels and hounds (but not other dogs).
* Failed Tasmanian salmon farmer (farm destroyed by fire).
* First recorded kite-surfing accident in Australia (broken toe).
I could go on, but my family would prefer Aunt Cecilia completely forgotten. If you want to adopt her into your family, and claim her as your own, go for it.