- Slavery in the United States officially ended over a century ago, but a high school student in Florida got caught trying to “sell” his classmates.
- An unnamed senior at Fleming Island High School in Jacksonville, Florida, took a photo of two black female students in class and uploaded it to a Craigslist ad titled “Two Slaves For Sale” with a price of $470.
- The listing tagged the location to “Fleming Island Plantation,” which is a location that exists in the town, but the direct reference is to slave plantations in the South.
- The listing’s description is horrific: “Two healthy negro slavegals for sale. Good Condition and hard work ethic! If you need another pair of hands around the farm/house, you’re in luck!"
- The ad has since been taken down.
- The student responsible for the listing has been suspended for 10 days and will transfer to an alternative school. Read more (4/28/17)