I try and steer clear of too many non-bugeyes in this blog… but with photography (and cars) this gorgeous it’s worth the acknowledgement that there are other versions of the New Age impreza made by Subaru. : P
Heavily modified JDM STI S202 (bugeye) and JDM STI ver. 8 (blobeye). Amazing machines.
I promised more on this modded s202 from Minkara a few posts back belonging to Pikarin from Osaka, Japan. It packs a JUN 2.2L stroker for starters. I think this is my first J-spec subaru post as well! I’ve been on an S202 kick lately so a little background…
At 320 horsepower from the factory, the Subaru S202 was the first car to break the 276-horsepower restriction on all Japanese cars (ever notice why so many cars in Gran Turismo are “exactly” 276 hp) and paved the way for the ISF, GTR and other high horsepower creations to roll out of the island country. Every generation of Impreza has had a super limited edition sportscar model dubbed the S201 (classic GC8 ), S202 (bugeye GD), S203 (blobeye GD), S204 (hawkeye GD), and R205 (the new GRB).
The S202 essentially takes the stripped down racing model of the STI – the STI type RA spec C – and reloads it with high end sports car goodies: STI projector headlights (heavier but better looking), STI front mount oil cooler, bronze 17″ STI wheels made by RAYS (which bear a striking resemblance to RAYS Volk CE28N), chassis and brake upgrades, and a carbon fiber GT wing. Only 400 were ever made.
This guy modded an S202. He took Subaru’s ultimate bugeye and made it better, and more suited to his use for it as a weekend track car.
The metal bumper vent only on one side of the car may not be the prettiest but it is functional… behind it is a the GReddy front mount oil cooler (in addition to the STI factory front mount oil cooler that all S202′s come with), which vents air through the metal duct… pretty creative engineering.
The vents cut into the stock rear bumper (though they vary in appearance) – and the flip up rear license plate with vents behind it – are pretty standard faire on Japanese track cars. Both allow trapped air to escape the bumper and reduce drag.
The S202′s front-mount factory STI oil cooler switched positions with the intercooler.
And it gets tracked…
– JUN AUTO custom 2.2L stroker kit EX
– JUN AUTO pistons
– JUN AUTO oil pump
– Tomei valve springs
– Tomei cams
– Tomei timing belt reinforced belt guide
– Tomei exhaust manifold (headers)
– Ganador Full Titanium exhaust
– Cusco air intake hose
– HKS racing intake
– HKS twin power ignition amplifier
– Big throttle Racing shaft Baku Baku Factory (ばくばく工房 Big throttle Racing shaft)
– Power enterprise F1 black engine bearing
– SARD fuel collector tank
– SARD fuel injectors
– SARD fuel pressure regulator
– Laile (BeatRush) crank pulley
– Tomei baffle stiffiner plate
– ARC oil pan
– Kondo Engineering “3” all aluminum radiator
– Kondo Engineering tune for 2.2L motor
– Ecutek ECU
Turbo & Cooling
– IHI Turbo (machined)
– GReddy Type RS blow off valve
– GReddy Front Mount Intercooler SPEC-R (editor’s note: the SPEC-R is a different GReddy fmic than the smaller GReddy front mount that you see on U.S. WRX’s)
– earlier setup: ARC top mount intercooler and Prova High Pressure Bypass Valve (made by Forge)
– STI Oil Cooler (stock - OEM S202 Part)
– GReddy Oil Cooler (secondary… custom metal vent)
–PFC front three piece rotors for STI Brembos
–RDD rear 330mm three piece rotors for STI Brembos
–Endless EP357ME22 brake pads
–Endless CCR brake pads
–Prova carbon fiber brake cooling guide ducts
– Extended studs
– Hyperco HYPERCOIL coilovers
– Kondo Engineering Harmonic Drive
– Swift Hyperco Springs F 12k R 10k + 4k Hyperco spring assisted design
– Ikeya Formula roll center adjuster
– Cusco sway bars
– Okuyma floor braces
– Okuyama rear seat delete plate
– J Speed rear seat delete plate reinforcement braces (editors note: there’s a brace for everything :O)
– J Speed multi-piece fender braces
– Beatrush rear strut and trunk braces
– Beatrush floor brace
– STI titanium front strut bar (stock - OEM S202 Part)
– STI lateral links and trailing arms (stock - OEM S202 Part)
Wheel & Tire
– Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires
– STI wheels by RAYS
– RAYS Volk Racing CE28N (black) 17×9 +43
– RAYS Volk Racing RE30 (black) 17×9 +43
– Ganador SuperMirrors
– STI version 1 lip w/ factory STI unpainted/flat black option
– STI mesh fog covers – unpainted.
– STI projector headlights (stock - OEM S202 Part)
– STI roof vent (stock - OEM S202 Part)
– STI S202 carbon fiber wing (stock - OEM S202 Part)
– Monster Sport carbon trunk
– Monster Sport carbon hood with drop-in hood vent — also custom vented over the turbo.
– hood pins
– Stage 21 custom vented fenders – 20mm wider than stock