beach-city-mystery-girl replied to your post: I swear I was barely able to tell in the comments…
Also a lot of ‘oh shit this was in Moffat’s era’ and ‘time to start watching Doctor Who again … I mean, this isn’t news if you’ve kept up with the show which was always never as bad as people like to pretend it is but okay…….
the era they like to complain about, especially the last couple of years, has involved:
- more background POC rep than any of the previous seasons
- FIVE significant (main or recurring) LGBT characters, six if you count Missy which I would say one should
- an episode that failed the reverse Bechdel Test because two men didn’t speak to each other
- the proper of UNIT (though I will say RTD did this properly in SJA too), and turning a previously male military into a science organisation run by women, specifically the daughter of one of the most important characters in Doctor Who history, who is also her own fab character in her own right
- black companion with natural hair
- the most iconic series villain turned into a woman
- making it inarguably canon that the Doctor could be a woman or not white
- literally the most feminist companion ending ever
so like. uh. what’s the issue here??