Hey there folks! Here are the previews to the Miracles 07th Expansion zine front and back covers (subject to some minor tweaking before the final release). We’ll be posting updates, Preorder information, artist info and etc. here soon along with cropped previews of pieces from our contributing artists!
-In one of the
interviews (which took place after Meakashi was released), we get
a look at what might have formed the beginnings of Ryukishi’s gameboard concept.
He says that the way he wrote Higurashi was first create the stage,
environment, and history of Hinamizawa. Then he created the game
pieces (characters) and gave them each a goal. Then each character
moves on the stage according to their goal. When he cut out the
portion of that world dictated by Keiichi’s POV, Onikakushi-hen was
But there are
actually a lot of other characters moving freely that Keiichi doesn’t
see. He only sees the results, so to him it just appears as though a
bunch of strange things are happening.
rewound things to the beginning and shifted the starting places of the
pieces just slightly, and Watanagashi-hen was the result.
So he has this
whole four-dimensional world inside his head, and he wishes he could
share it in its four-dimensional form, but in order to share it with
other people, he can only show portions of it.
-He talks about
how if Bernkastel weren’t on Battler’s side, then the episodes of
Umineko would have been self-contained, like the early arcs of
Higurashi appeared to be, which is really interesting.
I’d take this
with a grain of salt though, because this was just after Ep2 came
out, and we all know how Ryukishi changed his mind a lot about
Bernkastel as the story went on.
Battler said he read Higurashi was because the Higurashi light novels
had just been published, so Ryukishi was kind of referencing that.
That’s right, those Higurashi book references in Umineko that threw us
meta world theorists for a loop were simply put there to celebrate Higurashi’s light novel releases.
-As in the
‘Answer to the Golden Witch’ interview, Ryukishi is adamant about not
giving readers a clear solution to Umineko. Which is weird, because
in the manga version of Ep8, he gives readers a clear solution to
Umineko. Yes, I know he’s said he did so because the manga was his
last chance to give closure, but still… In these interviews, he
genuinely seems to believe that giving a clear solution to everyone
equally would be a betrayal to the people who worked so hard to
arrive at the answer.
And I’m not
saying I dislike 'Confession of the Golden Witch.’ I like it quite a
bit. I just wonder what could have caused this change of heart?
I think part of what makes Higurashi so good is that the characters are all suffering from (mostly) ordinary life issues that everyone has experienced at some point. Family, abuse, neglect, social acceptance, relationship issues, self-loathing, anxiety, depression and loneliness, and for a series mostly noted for it’s extreme violence none of it is without purpose or just there for shock value. When these characters break, you see it and never forget it. Because they’re just like you, they’re human, and these horrible scenes are all things that you’re capable of if you were broken like that, it shows you the extreme results of suffering these ordinary issues, and it sticks with you because of that.
OMG okay this photo from 07th masquerade is so adorable!! There are cosplays from all four of 07th Expansions’ published works! And Ryukishi07 himself is just being an idiot on the floor! This just makes me so happy! X3
If anyone who knows Japanese wants to translate it, please help! Below are the notes I managed to jot down via my cell phone and my memories of the answers he gave.
-When asked whether or not he likes 2D girls or 3D girls, (which he laughed so hard once the question was translated), he spoke of the merits of both, and after pondering in an animated manner, he decides he loves both.
- When asked which was his fav music tracks from Umineko and Higurashi, he stated that Golden Slaugther From Umineko and You from Higurashi was his favourites.
- When asked how the visual novels from the company Key Visual Arts (creators of Air, Kanon, Clannad etc) inspired him, he stated that with Key stories, it starts up normal and happy, but as the story develops, is slowly turns deeper and sadder as you reach its climax. He compared the story flow to the Tower of Terror in Disneyland, where the ride starts out straight and normal and calm, and then it rapidly plummets and freaks the riders out via a heavy drop, Key stories the sadness drops in, but for his stories, the horror drops in. A side note: Ryu07th has worked on a Key game, Rewrite, he wrote one of the scenario arcs in that game.
-When asked about his feelings on the creators or Fate Stay Night, Type Moon(whom he has a working relationship with, since Rumiko Chie is based off of Ciel from Tsukihime by Type Moon), he comments that they are like the gods of Doujin Visual novels. They walk in and he gets the urge to worship the grount they are on, and comments that the artist Takuechi has a large presence, which he compare it to a character from Fist of the North Star. It got harder to hear the translator at this point, but it seems that Ryu07th plays Mahjong with them quite a bit. If folks who know Japanese can help be clarify this point it would be appreciated.
- When asked who is his waifu, he boiled down his options to Beatrice and
- When asked about this thoughts of coming to Los Angles, he comments that the burgers here are much bigger and taste really good, that he will have a hard time eating burgers in Japan now since he tasted the good stuff.
- When asked the inevitable question on “what really happened on
Rokkenjima Island, his response was to exclaim in English : “ Halloween Party!” Everyone in the crowded burst into laughter. Ryu07th has such a awesome sense of humor.
- When asked who the culprit really is , he said “ MEEE! “ in English. Again, laughter occurs.
- When asked what kinda of video games he like his works to be spun off into, he comments a survival horror game similar to Resident Evil or Silent Hill would be pretty awesome.
- His favourite adaptation medium for Higurashi and Umineko were the mangas, and he worked closely with the manga artists to make sure the story was clear and clarified, so everyone in the manga should be considered canon.
- Fans have noted that the character Lion Ushiromiya from Umineko bears a similar physical resemblance to Saber from Fate Stay night, and her voice actress in the PS3 version is the same actress as Saber, Ayako Kawasumi. When asked if this was intentional, he stated that the voices were picked from many audition reels that he listened to, and it was coincidence that Ayako was picked. He also noted that scheduling recording sessions with Ayako was more chaotic due to her busy schedule.
- On another note regarding voice actors, he said it is mandated that the voice actress for Ciel from Tsukihime and
Rumiko Chie from Higurashi must be the same actress, since Rumiko is based off of Ciel.
- When asked what kinda of story he would tell if he makes a choose your own adventure type story, he wants a tale where a boy has to choose between 2 girls, and one of them wields a hatchet.
- When asked which version of Beatrice was his favorite, he said that he loves all versions, though the one in episode 1-3 is a particular favorite of his.
-His writing process involves him having a story goal in his mind, the end result so to speak, and then he has to figure out how to set a path for the story development to reach that goal. As he writes, the path to the goal is hardly ever straight foward and simple.
- When asked about the name choices in Umineko, he stated that since Higurashi had more oriental names, he wanted Western names for Umineko to differentiate it, though he is aware thanks to fans that Battler is still a weird name.
- He would like to do side stories with Umineko, like what he did for the Higurashi fan disks. A fan in the panel had an idea of a mystery in Umineko where everyone dies in one single room, and he thought that notion was interesting.
- When asked whether Keiichi and Rika could potentially form a romantic relationship, he feels that with Rika’s real personality, the chances of it being one sided from Keiichi is higher than the other way around, but then he joked saying that “Ryu07th has first dibs on Rika before Keiichi!” EDIT: He thinks there’s a very good chance Rika will fall in love with Keiichi because of what he did during her 100 years. Plus, Keiichi is likely to turn out like Akasaka. But Ryukishi07 has first dibs on Rika.)
- With Rika’s real persona being a wise old woman, he coined the term “Lolibaba”, a mixture of the word grandma in Japanese with the english term Lolita.