Washington’s Rules of Civility & Decent Behaviour In Company and Conversation (part 1)
Here we are, after a ridiculous result on the election. The times to come will be hard and complicated, and most probably there will be people with a total lack of respect for others since the chosen president shows that about half of the USA supports being disrespectful, racist and intolerant.
But not us. No, sir! We all know that this is the very right time to behave like real ladies and gentlemen, and treat all people as equals in the most civil ways. So here are the 110 rules that the 16 year-old George Washington copied by hand from Francis Hawkins’ “Youths Behavior, or Decency in Conversation Amongst Men” (published in 1640, and taken from the French Jesuits composition from 1595), and they are still as universal now as they were in the 18th century, even if they sound a little outdated. I’ve added some notes taken from the Foundations Magazine” to some key rules for all of us to follow and divided the rules in two parts so we’ll have two long posts and not one super-long post XD.
1. Every Action done in Company, ought to be with Some Sign of Respect, to those that are Present. (Treat everyone with respect.)
2. When in Company, put not your Hands to any Part of the Body, not usually Discovered.
3. Shew Nothing to your Friend that may affright him. (Be considerate of others. Do not embarrass others.)
4. In the Presence of Others Sing not to yourself with a humming Noise, nor Drum with your Fingers or Feet.
5. If You Cough, Sneeze, Sigh, or Yawn, do it not Loud but Privately; and Speak not in your Yawning, but put Your handkerchief or Hand before your face and turn aside.
6. Sleep not when others Speak, Sit not when others stand, Speak not when you Should hold your Peace, walk not on when others Stop.
7. Put not off your Cloths in the presence of Others, nor go out your Chamber half Drest.
8. At Play and at Fire its Good manners to Give Place to the last Comer, and affect not to Speak Louder than Ordinary.
9. Spit not in the Fire, nor Stoop low before it neither Put your Hands into the Flames to warm them, nor Set your Feet upon the Fire especially if there be meat before it.
10. When you Sit down, Keep your Feet firm and Even, without putting one on the other or Crossing them.
11. Shift not yourself in the Sight of others nor Gnaw your nails.
12. Shake not the head, Feet, or Legs roll not the Eyes lift not one eyebrow higher than the other wry not the mouth, and bedew no mans face with your Spittle, by approaching too near him when you Speak.
13. Kill no Vermin as Fleas, lice ticks &c in the Sight of Others, if you See any filth or thick Spittle put your foot Dexterously upon it if it be upon the Cloths of your Companions, Put it off privately, and if it be upon your own Cloths return Thanks to him who puts it off.
14. Turn not your Back to others especially in Speaking, Jog not the Table or Desk on which Another reads or writes, lean not upon any one.
15. Keep your Nails clean and Short, also your Hands and Teeth Clean yet without Shewing any great Concern for them.
16. Do not Puff up the Cheeks, Loll not out the tongue rub the Hands, or beard, thrust out the lips, or bite them or keep the Lips too open or too Close.
17. Be no Flatterer, neither Play with any that delights not to be Play’d Withal.
18. Read no Letters, Books, or Papers in Company but when there is a Necessity for the doing of it you must ask leave: come not near the Books or Writings of Another so as to read them unless desired or give your opinion of them unask’d also look not nigh when another is writing a Letter.
19. Let your Countenance be pleasant but in Serious Matters Somewhat grave.
20. The Gestures of the Body must be Suited to the discourse you are upon.
21. Reproach none for the Infirmities of Nature, nor Delight to Put them that have in mind thereof. 22. Shew not yourself glad at the Misfortune of another though he were your enemy. 23. When you see a Crime punished, you may be inwardly Pleased; but always shew Pity to the Suffering Offender.
24. Do not laugh too loud or too much at any Publick Spectacle. (Don’t draw attention to yourself.)
25. Superfluous Complements and all Affectation of Ceremony are to be avoided, yet where due they are not to be Neglected.
26. In Pulling off your Hat to Persons of Distinction, as Noblemen, Justices, Churchmen &c make a Reverence, bowing more or less according to the Custom of the Better Bred, and Quality of the Person. Amongst your equals expect not always that they Should begin with you first, but to Pull off the Hat when there is no need is Affectation, in the Manner of Saluting and resaluting in words keep to the most usual Custom.
27. ‘Tis ill manners to bid one more eminent than yourself be covered as well as not to do it to whom it’s due Likewise he that makes too much haste to Put on his hat does not well, yet he ought to Put it on at the first, or at most the Second time of being ask’d; now what is herein Spoken, of Qualification in behaviour in Saluting, ought also to be observed in taking of Place, and Sitting down for ceremonies without Bounds is troublesome.
28. If any one come to Speak to you while you are are Sitting Stand up though he be your Inferior, and when you Present Seats let it be to every one according to his Degree.
29. When you meet with one of Greater Quality than yourself, Stop, and retire especially if it be at a Door or any Straight place to give way for him to Pass.
30. In walking the highest Place in most Countries Seems to be on the right hand therefore Place yourself on the left of him whom you desire to Honour: but if three walk together the middest Place is the most Honourable the wall is usually given to the most worthy if two walk together.
31. If any one far Surpasses others, either in age, Estate, or Merit yet would give Place to a meaner than himself in his own lodging or elsewhere the one ought not to except it, So he on the other part should not use much earnestness nor offer it above once or twice.
32. To one that is your equal, or not much inferior you are to give the chief Place in your Lodging and he to who 'tis offered ought at the first to refuse it but at the Second to accept though not without acknowledging his own unworthiness.
33. They that are in Dignity or in office have in all places Precedence but whilst they are Young they ought to respect those that are their equals in Birth or other Qualities, though they have no Publick charge.
34. It is good Manners to prefer them to whom we Speak before ourselves especially if they be above us with whom in no Sort we ought to begin.
35. Let your Discourse with Men of Business be Short and Comprehensive. (When you speak, be concise.)
36. Artificers & Persons of low Degree ought not to use many ceremonies to Lords, or Others of high Degree but Respect and highly Honour them, and those of high Degree ought to treat them with affability & Courtesy, without Arrogance.
37. In Speaking to men of Quality do not lean nor Look them full in the Face, nor approach too near them at lest Keep a full Pace from them.
38. In visiting the Sick, do not Presently play the Physician if you be not Knowing therein.
39. In writing or Speaking, give to every Person his due Title According to his Degree & the Custom of the Place.
40. Strive not with your Superiors in argument, but always Submit your Judgment to others with Modesty. (Do not argue with your superior. Submit your ideas with humility.)
41. Undertake not to Teach your equal in the art himself Professes; it Savours of arrogance.
42. Let thy ceremonies in Courtesy be proper to the Dignity of his place with whom thou conversest for it is absurd to act the same with a Clown and a Prince.
43. Do not express Joy before one sick or in pain for that contrary Passion will aggravate his Misery.
44. When a man does all he can though it Succeeds not well blame not him that did it. (When a person does their best and fails, do not criticize him.)
45. Being to advise or reprehend any one, consider whether it ought to be in public or in Private; presently, or at Some other time in what terms to do it & in reproving Show no Sign of Cholar but do it with all Sweetness and Mildness. (When you must give advice or criticism, consider the timing, whether it should be given in public or private, the manner and above all be gentle.)
46. Take all Admonitions thankfully in what Time or Place Soever given but afterwards not being culpable take a Time & Place convenient to let him him know it that gave them. (If you are corrected, take it without argument. If you were wrongly judged, correct it later.)
47. Mock not nor Jest at any thing of Importance break no Jest that are Sharp Biting and if you Deliver any thing witty and Pleasant obtain from Laughing thereat yourself. (Do not make fun of anything important to others) 48. Wherein wherein you reprove Another be unblameable yourself; for example is more prevalent than Precepts. (If you criticize someone else of something, make sure you are not guilty of it yourself. Actions speak louder than words.)
49. Use no Reproachful Language against any one neither Curse nor Revile.
50. Be not hasty to believe flying Reports to the Disparagement of any. (Do not be quick to believe bad reports about others)
Rules of being a Gentlemen
No.1 - Run with her on the beach.
No.2 - Give her your sweater when she’s cold.
No.3 - Never talk about other girls infront of her.
No.4 - Learn to play the guitar for her.
No.5 - Comfort her when she’s scared.
No.6 - Watch the sunset with her.
No.7 - If she can’t sleep, read her a bedtime story.
No.8 - If you get in a fight with her and she starts crying, just stop and hold her.
No.9 - Never force her to do anything.
No.10 - Call her beautiful, especially when she least expects it.
No.11 - Never let her walk home alone.
No.12 - Play with her hair when she’s laying on your chest.
No.13 - Always make the first move.
No.14 - Never lie to her, she’ll find out.
No.15 - Kiss her when she’s sleeping.
No.16 - Sing to her no matter how terrible your voice is. ..she’ll like it.
No.17 - When she’s fighting with someone, defend her even when you don’t think she’s right.
No.18 - Accept her for who she is.
No.19 - Call her beautiful instead of hot nor sexy.
No.20 - Don’t let go first during a hug.
No.21 - Tell her if she has something in her hair.
No.22 - Tell her you love her before she sleeps every night.
No.23 - Never go through her messages.
No.24 - Making her look bad infront of your friends will make you look bad, too.
No.25 - Always have her back.
No.26 - Kiss her in the rain.
No.27 - Leave her voice messages to wake up to.
No.28 - Stay on the call with her even if she fell asleep.
No.29 - Let her fall asleep in your arms.
No.30 - Give her piggyback rides.
No.31 - Call her babe.
No.32 - Apologize when you’re wrong.
No.33 - Always open the door for her.
No.34 - Boobs or butts doesn’t matter.
No.35 - Notice the little things.
No.36 - Give her flowers.
No.37 - Good hygiene is a must.
No.38 - Be confident.
No.39 - Don’t swear.
No.40 - Carry things for her.
No.41 - Always be the stronger one.
No.42 - Pay for dinner.
No.43 - Hold her chair.
No.44 - Be a good listener.
No.45 - Don’t brag.
No.46 - Compliment her.
No.47 - Don’t use her.
No.48 - Respect her.
No.49 - Perform random acts of kindness.
No.50 - Never take her for granted.
No.51 - Give her breakfast in bed.
No.52 - Hang out with her friends too, not just yours.
No.53 - Do whatever it takes to make her happy.
No.54 - She’s more important than video games.
No.55 - Don’t make a promise if you’re going to break it.
No.56 - If she slaps you, you probably deserved it.
No.57 - She should have three things from you; your sweatshirt, a stuffed animal and a really pretty ring.
No.58 - Never slap her, even if it’s just in a joking way.
No.59 - If they complain that something hurts, rub it for them without being asked.
No.60 - Forget her birthday once and you’re screwed.
No.61 - Hug her from the back.
No.62 - Never insult her, even if you’re joking around.
No.63 - Never miss a date.
No.64 - Try your best to get her something on your vacation. (it doesn’t have to be expensive, as long as it’s from the heart)
No.65 - Wear that knitted sweater that she mad for you. (it will mean the world to her)
No.66 - Never ask her to buy you things.
No.67 - If you love her, show her, not your friends.
No.68 - Don’t get upset if she wants to watch chick flicks. (you might even like it)
No.69 - When she’s sick, don’t neglect her.
No.70 - Reply her texts.
No.71 - Never ask a girl out because of a dare.
No.72 - Never be late for a date.
No.73 - Unexpected surprises.
No.74 - When both of you are in a fight, take the blame even if she’s wrong.
No.75 - Listen to what she has to say.
No.76 - If you know she loves you, don’t play with her emotions and take advantage of it.
No.77 - When she refuses to talk to you because you did something to upset her,insist and make up for it.
No.78 - Make her feel like a princess.
No.79 - Shift to the dangerous side when crossing the street.
No.80 - When she drops something, stop whatever you’re doing to help her.
No.81 - Never let her down of blow her off.
No.82 - Treat her like your best friend.
No.83 - Kiss the back of her hand.
No.84 - Love her when she least deserves it — that’s when she needs it the most.
No.85 - Tell her your stories and feelings too. She wants to hear them. Promise.
No.86 - Don’t tell her lies just to spare her feelings, she’d rather know the truth now rather than finding out later.
No.87 - Yes, “I’m cold” is another way of saying “hug me”.
No.88 - Believe her and believe in her.
No.89 - Always listen to what she has to say.
No.90 - Good grammar is sexy.
No.91 - Look her in the eyes.
No.92 - Let her rest her head on your shoulder.
No.93 - Take the initiative to go and talk to her.
No.94 - Have pillow fights with her.
No.95 - Never talk bad behind her back.
No.96 - Never be a jerk to her infront of her friends.
No.97 - Never go to parties or hang out with other girls without her.
No.98 - Never make excuses.
No.99 - Don’t talk to her when you’re mad. (you will screw something up)
No.100 - Don’t try to keep anything from her.
No.101 - Slip sweet notes in her locker. (they will make her day)
No.102 - Never let a day pass without saying ‘I love you’ to her.
No.103 - Always protect her from any kind of harm.
No.104 - Never give her a reason to think that she’s the man in the relationship.
No.105 - Grand gestures.
No.106 - Kiss her under the stars.
No.107 - Love her unconditionally.
No.108 - Make her an album of the songs that reminds you of her.
No.109 - Never lead her on if you know nothing’s going to happen.
No.110 - Never answer “Does this make me look fat?” question. (it’s a trick)
No.111 - If you love her, never let her slip away.
No.112 - Your warmth soothes her heart.
No.113 - When going out, don’t ask her what she wants to do, take charge and decide.
No.114 - Smile and laugh at her jokes, even if they aren’t funny.
No.115 - If you don’t have time for her, make time for her.
No.116 - Always be available for her.
No.117 - If you love her, tell her before it’s too late.
No.118 - Never forget an anniversary.
No.119 - When you’re around her, always make her feel like you’re her first and last.
No.120 - It’s the little compliments that means alot to her.
No.121 - Show her off infront of you or her friends.
No.122 - When she’s tired, carry her.
No.123 - Never accuse.
No.124 - Do it because you want to, not because you want something back in return.
No.125 - Actions speak louder than words.
No.126 - Have those I-love-you-more-fights. (she thinks it’s cute)
No.127 - Don’t say whatever when you are arguing. (it’ll make her more mad)
No.128 - Never blame her for your mistakes.
No.129 - She loves that cute smirk. Promise.
No.130 - A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally.
No.131 - No more bro’s before ho’s. Well respected women, before bro’s.
No.132 - Don’t go anywhere without kissing her goodbye.
No.133 - Hold the door for every girl, attractive or not.
No.134 - Try to write a song for her, even if you’re not musically inclined. (she’ll love it no matter what)
No.135 - Text her good morning to have her day start with a smile.
No.136 - She comes first. Always.
No.137 - Never let her forget how much she means to you.
No.138 - Never let her fall asleep waiting for your call.
No.139 - Her “nothing” is always something.
No.140 - Never tell a girl she doesn’t understand. Ever. Chances are she does.
No.141 - Forehead kisses.
No.142 - Have a day for just you and her, she loves the one on one time.
No.143 - Have tickle fights with her (but let her win)
No.144 - Dance with her even when there’s no music on.
No.145 - Stay up, even if you are tired to talk or chat with her.
No.146 - Never give her a reason to doubt your feelings for her.
No.147 - Never reject her kisses or hugs.
No.148 - Don’t text or call her just because you’re bored.
No.149 - Kiss her spontaneously in the middle of her sentence.
No.150 - Love her for who she is, not for who you want her to be.
No.151- When she pushes you away, pull her in closer.
No.152- Call her love. It sounds classy.
No.153- Tuck her hair behind her ear.
No.154- Never compare her with your ex-girlfriends. She is incomparable.
No.155- Never underestimate a girl’s ability to find things out.
No.156- If you fall in love with her, tell her. Just be prepared to catch her.
No.157- In the middle of a hug, squeeze a little harder. (she’ll love it, promise)
No.158- A gentleman always cheers for his hometown team. Win or lose.
No.159- A gentleman respects every women in his life. If you can’t respect your own mother, forget about respecting your girlfriend.
No.160- Stupid lame jokes; awkwardly adorable moments.
No.161- A gentleman never hits a girl, ever.
No.162- A gentleman always thinks before he says.
No.163- A gentleman is never rude.
No.164- A gentleman never breaks a promise.
No.165- Don’t try to out dress a woman. She should be the center of attention and should now feel that she’s under dressed.
No.166- A gentleman always dresses well.
No.167- Don’t just talk the talk.
No.168- Look people in the eyes when you greet them and shake their hand.
No.169- Never cut someone off.
No.170- If you’re trying to have a relationship, let the woman know. If you’re not, and you’re just trying to hit, let them know that, too.
No.171- Open doors. Pull out chairs. Let her order first. Simple manners.
No.172- No, she doesn’t look fat in the dress. Yes, even if she does.
No.173- Give girls a little extra respect.
No.174- Secret rooftop meetings never gets old.
No.175- Calling her “baby,” will make her melt every time. Promise.
No.176- When listening to the radio, if a love song comes on, squeeze her hand tighter.
No.177- Your girlfriend is not the prettiest of them all, because in your eyes, she should be the only one who is pretty.
No.178- Confidence is sexy. Cockiness is not.
No.179- Hold her while she cries, nothing feels better.
No.180- When hugging her, lift her off her feet and spin her around. (she’ll love it.)
No.181- Always maintain eye contact. It lets her know that you are only paying attention to her.
No.182- If you make her bite her lip, know that you’re doing a damn good job at whatever you’re doing.
No.183- Hold her tight, she won’t want you to let go.
No.184- Make holding her hand too tight be the only way you can hurt her.
No.185- Kisses aren’t everything; never underestimate the power of a good hug.
No.186- Play with her fingers, she loves the way your hand touches hers.
No.187- Grand gestures and complimenting the little things aren’t opposites. Do both.
No.188- Don’t tell her your love is forever unless you have no doubt it is.
No.189- Tell her all your sweet memories together. She’ll be smiling all day long knowing that you remember every single moment you’re together.
No.190- If she’s amazing, she won’t be easy. If she’s easy, she won’t be amazing. If she’s worth it, you won’t give up. If you give up, you’re not worthy enough.
No.191- A man’s biggest mistake is giving another man an opportunity to make his woman smile. If you love her, you shouldn’t be giving any guy that chance. It should be you making her smile.
No.192- Every gentleman should have at least one suit in his closet.
No.193- Good look’s just a bonus if you have a great personality.
No.194- If a girl admits that she likes you, know that it took every ounce of courage in her to say that. Idiot, don’t take her for granted.
No.195- A gentleman should always have one good watch on his wrist. It’s a mark of character and dignity.
No.196- Gentlemen, wear a belt. It’s called underwear for a reason.
No.197- Don’t try to outdress a woman. She should be the center of attention and should not feel that she’s underdressed.
No.198- Being open-minded and aware of the world around you shows class and sophistication, but avoid seeming pretentious by being modest instead of showing off what you know.
No.199- Don’t ask about the last guy she was with. Being competitive is a young man’s game.
No.200- Avoid public fights with your woman. Keep things private to let her know there’s an exclusive world that you and her share.
No.201- Avoid unnecessary use of expletives in public, especially in the presence of a woman you’re trying to impress.
No.202- If you want to leave her, leave her breathless. If you want to lie, lie next to her. If you want to let go, let go of your pride and pursue her.
No.203- Boasting about your intelligence isn’t attractive, neither is downplaying it.
No.204- Always keep the balance between obsession and apathy. Make her feel important but give her some space when she needs it.
No.205- Gentlemen, be aware that the line between confidence and arrogance is extremely thin.
No.206- Every girl wants that feeling of being wanted and belonged too. So gentlemen, give it to her. Give her your undivided attention, the best that you can give and offer her, and the best of the best that you know she deserves.
No.207- Always kiss your lady’s hand. It will make her feel like a queen.
No.208- Apologize. You are not degrading yourself, you are showing that you care for that person’s feelings.
No.209- Don’t tell her you love her unless you really mean it. She might do something crazy, like believe it.
No.210- Nice guys finish last because they put their ladies first.
No.211- Don’t waste your time looking for all the wrong ones, when you already have the right one.
No.212- Whatever you give a woman, she’s going to multiply. If you give her sperm, she’ll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she’ll give you a home. So, if your give her any crap, you will receive a ton of shit.
No.213- Chivalry is very much alive. Just because a girl acts like she doesn’t care for those small things, inside she’s really looking for it.
No.214- Don’t bring up how many girls you’ve been with; it will not make you look better nor will it impress her.
No.215- Tell her nobody’s perfect, but she is as perfect as they come.
No.216- Allow your lady to walk ahead of you, not all over you.
No.217- Don’t tell her you love her, if you have another girl by your side.
No.218- A girl’s dream is to own something that belongs to you. When she has that, she feels extra close to you.
No.219- If you feel as if you’d die for her, live in such a way that she would know.
No.220- Go ahead, take a punch for her, give one if necessary, just make sure she wasn’t the one that got hurt.
No.221- Sometimes you shouldn’t have to ask how she’s doing. Read the signs: look into her eyes.
No.222- Remember, whenever she finishes a sentence with “I’ve never told anyone that before,” make sure to never forget.
No.223- Real men never stop trying to show a girl how much she means to him, even after he’s got her.
No.224- Kiss her nose.
No.225- Give her something to tell her friends about.
No.226- A gentleman doesn’t need to hit a woman to feel like a “man”. After all, he is a gentle man.
No.227- If she worries about you, it just means she cares. But when she stops caring, that’s when you should be worried.
No.228- When she starts to let go during a hug, pull her even closer and hug her even tighter.
No.229- Just because she has dated douchebags doesn’t mean there isn’t any chance for a nice guy.
No.230- Don’t flip out when your girlfriend wonders who you’re with or what you’re doing. It means she cares and she’s actually afraid to lose you to someone else.
No.231- “Don’t date the most beautiful girl in the world, date the girl who makes your world the most beautiful.”
No.232- Spill your heart out to her; if she loves you she’ll love to listen.
No.233- “Anyone can be heroic form time to time, but a gentleman is something you have to be all the time.” -Luigi Pirandello
No.234- A boy makes his girl jealous of other women. A gentleman makes other women jealous of his girl.
No.235- A true gentleman should never take advantage of any lady.
No.236- When you’re holding hands, squeeze hers from time to time. It will surely make her look at you and smile.
No.237- When she rubs her arms with both hands, it’s another sign of saying, “Hug me, make me warm.”
No.238- Remember, she loves you for you. So don’t try to go around changing yourself just to impress her.
No.239- When you say ‘I love you’, say it in a way she’ll want to hear it. Look her in the eyes; grasp her hand; and lean close to her, so she knows you’re truly serious.
No.240- If you aren’t treating her right, don’t be mad when somebody else does.
No.241- Never ever make a girl feel anything less than perfect.
No.242- A gentleman never lies to his woman. Ever.
No.243- A gentleman should always give up his seat for the elderly.
No.244- You came from a woman. So you have no right to disrespect one.
No.245- Hold her when she’s crying and tell her that everything’s going to be okay.
No.246- A gentleman can recognize it when he loses a fight. Know the difference between standing up for yourself and being a fool.
No.247- There are so many fishes in the sea. Do not settle until you have found your mermaid.
No.248- A gentleman only lies to his woman if it involves surprising her.
No.249- If you break up with her, check up on her every once in a while to make sure she’s alright.
No.250- A gentleman admits when he’s wrong, and stands his ground when he is right.
No.251- A gentleman respects a woman’s boundaries.
No.252- Fall in love with her flaws. Everything else will be a plus.
No.253- It doesn’t matter how many fights you two may get into. If you truly do love her, it should never matter. Ever.
No.254- Love her when she least deserves it because that’s when she needs it most.
No.255- Honesty. She’ll respect you even more.
No.256- Be the one who stays by her side and protects her. Especially when no one else does.
No.257- Tell her she’s beautiful everyday. You don’t know how much that will mean to her.
No.258- A gentleman doesn’t just tell his lady he loves her, he shows it.
No.259- Any lady just wants you to be a well-mannered gentleman that treats others right.
No.260- A gentleman is always a gentleman and nothing less.
No.261- Before speaking your concerns, give them thought, then do so appropriately.
No.262- “I love you” means nothing if you don’t sincerely mean it.
No.263- Respect people’s feelings. Even if it does not mean anything to you, it could mean everything to them.
No.264- Pretty and sexy is not the same as beautiful.
No.265- She deserves the best. Even if you’re not meant to be the man to give it to her.
No.266- A kiss is nothing unless it is backed up feelings for her.
No.267- Chivalry never died, the gentleman in you did.
No.268- A good gentleman treats his mother like a queen and treats you the same.
No.269- Just because you’ve stopped talking to each other doesn’t mean you’re not on her mind.
No.270- Don’t make her feel special when she’s actually not. Avoid false hope.
No.271- If she’s responsible for your smile, then be responsible with her heart.
No.272- A true man’s heart knows no distance.
No.273- Never, ever give her a reason to feel threatened by another woman.
No.274- A good gentleman is smart, but a great gentleman is well-educated.
No.275- Remember, she has a past too. Don’t hold it against her.
No.276- You need to have your favourite song. The one that reminds you how it all began. Make sure she never forgets it.
No.277- Never make her stay up all night waiting for your call, and have to realize late at night that you aren’t going to call.
No.278- Don’t underestimate the power of a hug. It can turn her day around.
No.279- If she leans against you, hug her. She wants to be held.
No.280- Calm, cool and composed. All characteristics a gentleman possesses.
No.281- If you love her, remember that on the bad days.
No.282- Chivalry will never run out of style.
No.283- Men are supposed to lead, not lead on.
No.284- Never miss a chance to tell her you love her because you never know when it’ll be your last.
No.285- Being a male is a matter of birth. Being a man is a matter of age. But, being a gentleman is a matter of choice.
No.286- Hold her tighter, kiss her harder and love her more as everyday goes by.
No.287- Treat everybody equally. Their sexual orientation should not matter.
No.288- A gentleman never pursues an already taken woman.
No.289- Good morning texts.
No.290- Be a lady’s man, not a ladies man.
No.291- Chivalry is a beautiful, genuine thing. It will never die.
No.292- Make her your everything in front of everyone, everytime.
No.293- The acknowledgement of a gentleman is found through his actions and the word in which he gives.
No.294- Ladies first.
No.295- She chose to be with you, don’t test her.
No.296- An already taken gentleman never pursues another woman.
No.297- A gentleman never has to tell anyone he is gentleman.
No.298- Love her through life, through death, and even after that.
No.299- Never make a promise you can’t keep.
No.300- Don’t hold anything against her, especially her mistakes.
No.301- A gentleman knows that if it ever comes to that, he can let go of her, but he will never forget her.
No.302- A gentleman knows when to call her sexy, and when to let her know she’s beautiful.
No.303- Spending time with your lady is all well and good, but a gentleman never forgets his friends.
No.304- Chivalry and respect are as natural to a gentleman as breathing. They should not require effort.
No.305- Trust will make or break your relationship.
No.306- A real gentleman doesn’t have to undo your shirt to get a better view of your heart.
No.307- Treat every woman the way you’d want your daughter to be treated.
No.308- A gentleman knows that it takes what won her, to keep her.
No.309- A gentleman should not abuse power, but they shouldn’t forget that they have it.
No.310- Practice what you preach. It’s as simple as that.
No.311- By respecting the boundary between being close friends and flirting, you’re respecting your lady.
No.312- Treat your lady like you treat your Tumblr, give her all your time, love and respect.
No.313- It doesn’t have to be her birthday or Valentine’s Day. Show up at her door with a rose, a blanket and a picnic table.
No.314- A gentleman should not easily let his woman slip his sight, but he should know her freedom of space.
No.315- A gentleman should always treat a girl well, before they are together, and after as well.
No.316- Chivalry is the only “wingman” you need.
No.317- Add a genuine “how are you’ to your greetings and an “I’m there for you” to your goodbyes.
No.318- If you care about her, chase after her.
No.319- A gentleman shouldn’t strive to make his girl jealous, but to make others jealous of his girl.
No.320- Just show her that you care.
No.321- A gentleman must know how to take care of himself as well.
No.322- Don’t leave her because of long distance. The absence makes the heart grow fonder.
No.323- The trick to being a gentleman is making her feel like a lady.
No.324- Texting her “good morning beautiful” instantly puts her in a good mood. It lets her know that she is the first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning.
No.325- Be yourself, because by being yourself you could possibly be everything that she needs.
No.326- Sometimes she’s just waiting for you to make the first move.
No.327- A gentleman never allows himself to come second to another, and knows when he has to move on.
No.328- Play games, not ladies.
No.329- Always tell the truth.
No.330- Love is like a wheel, it has its ups and downs. But in the end you’ll find out it’s still meant to last forever.
No.331- A gentleman should be honest to everyone, including himself, at all time.
No.332- A true gentleman will do anything to make his girl happy.
No.333- Never talk about past big loves, it will only make her think she needs to live up to it.
No.334- Fall for her harder everyday.
No.335- A gentleman knows that once you have her, you keep her.
No.336- Don’t go to sleep unless everything is okay between you and your lady.
No.337- Second chances mean that she loves you too much to leave, don’t do anything to change that. Return the favour.
No.338- A gentleman should tell his lady every night before he goes to sleep just exactly how much she means to him.
No.339- Being a gentleman isn’t a form of courtship, it’s a way of life.
No.340- The sexiest curve on her body is her smile.
No.341- Don’t ever break her trust in any way, because you will never fully gain it back.
No.342- Cheating is never okay. There is no justification for it. Just don’t.
No.343- The way a gentleman treats his mother, is a pretty good indicator of how he will treat his lady.
No.344- Late night conversations is something every girl likes.
No.345- If you truly love her, you’d want what’s best for her; whether it includes you or not.
No.346- Don’t ever make a lady cry.
No.347- Stay calm and be her man.
No.348- Don’t settle for someone that doesn’t treat you the best they can. You always deserve 100% of someone’s love.
No.349- Never underestimate a lady’s will power.
No.350- Show her that chivalry isn’t dead.
No.351- Love doesn’t make the world go round, love is what makes the ride worthwhile.
No.352- Saying sorry doesn’t fix the problem. It’s what you do after that truly counts.
No.353- Don’t make promises you can’t keep, it’s not fair to her.
No.354- A real gentleman is well versed when it comes to poetry.
No.355- A true gentleman only gives for the sake of giving, never expecting anything in return.
No.356- Give her reasons to believe, not to doubt.
No.357- Simple good night and good morning text messages are highly appreciated.
No.358- Don’t talk about other girls, when you have a girlfriend. Make her feel like she is your only one, because she should be.
No.359- A gentleman attracts the attention of many, but only has eyes for his own lady.
No.360- A lady would rather be hurt with the truth, than with a lie.
No.361- A gentleman always reminds his lady how much she means to him, even though she won’t forget.
No.362- The worst thing you could do to a girl is compare her to another girl.
No.363- Remind her of how beautiful she is, every now and then.
No.364- A gentleman knows that it is often the simple gestures that mean the most.
No.365- A true gentleman should always trust his woman, because if you were truly in love, there is no reason to think she’d betray you.
No.366- A true gentleman won’t judge by looks but by heart.
No.367- Never date an ex’s best friend; chances are that will ruin their friendship and quite possibly end your new relationship.
No.368- Say nice things to her because you mean them, not just because she wants to hear them.
No.369- A gentleman knows to let his past make him better not bitter.
No.370- Kiss her like it is your first kiss, everytime.
No.371- Put some effort into the conversation.
No.372- When she cries, don’t say a thing, just hold her tight, and make her feel safe.
No.373- Compliments feel better when they’re genuine and unexpected. The more girls you call beautiful, the less impact it has.
No.374- A true gentleman will admit when he is wrong.
No.375- Real men stay faithful. They don’t have time to look for other woman because they’re too busy looking for new ways to love their own.
51. Wear not your Cloths, foul, ripped or Dusty but See they be Brush’d once every day at least and take heed that you approach not to any Uncleaness.
52. In your Apparel be Modest and endeavour to accommodate Nature, rather than to procure Admiration keep to the Fashion of your equals Such as are Civil and orderly with respect to Times and Places.
53. Run not in the Streets, neither go too slowly nor with Mouth open go not Shaking your Arms kick not the earth with your feet, go not upon the Toes, nor in a Dancing fashion.
54. Play not the Peacock, looking every where about you, to See if you be well Deck’t, if your Shoes fit well, if your Stockings sit neatly, and Cloths handsomely.
55. Eat not in the Streets, nor in the House, out of Season.
56. Associate yourself with Men of good Quality if you Esteem your own Reputation; for ‘tis better to be alone than in bad Company. (Associate with good people. It is better to be alone than in bad company)
57. In walking up and Down in a House, only with One in Company if he be Greater than yourself, at the first give him the Right hand and Stop not till he does and be not the first that turns, and when you do turn let it be with your face towards him, if he be a Man of Great Quality, walk not with him Cheek by Joul but Somewhat behind him; but yet in Such a Manner that he may easily Speak to you.
58. Let your Conversation be without Malice or Envy, for 'tis a Sign of a Tractable and Commendable Nature: And in all Causes of Passion admit Reason to Govern. (Always allow reason to govern your actions.)
59. Never express anything unbecoming, nor Act against the Rules Moral before your inferiors. (Never break the rules in front of your subordinates.)
60. Be not immodest in urging your Friends to Discover a Secret. (Some things are better kept secret.)
61. Utter not base and frivolous things amongst grave and Learn’d Men nor very Difficult Questions or Subjects, among the Ignorant or things hard to be believed, Stuff not your Discourse with Sentences amongst your Betters nor Equals.
62. Speak not of doleful Things in a Time of Mirth or at the Table; Speak not of Melancholy Things as Death and Wounds, and if others Mention them Change if you can the Discourse tell not your Dreams, but to your intimate Friend.
63. A Man ought not to value himself of his Achievements, or rare Qualities of wit; much less of his riches Virtue or Kindred. (A person should not overly value their own accomplishments.)
64. Break not a Jest where none take pleasure in mirth Laugh not aloud, nor at all without Occasion, deride no mans Misfortune, tho’ there Seem to be Some cause.
65. Speak not injurious Words neither in Jest nor Earnest Scoff at none although they give Occasion.
66. Be not forward but friendly and Courteous; the first to Salute hear and answer & be not Pensive when it’s a time to Converse.
67. Detract not from others neither be excessive in Commanding. (Do not detract from others nor be overbearing in giving orders.)
68. Go not thither, where you know not, whether you Shall be Welcome or not. Give not Advice without being Ask’d & when desired do it briefly. (Do not go where you are not wanted. Do not give unasked-for advice.)
69. If two contend together take not the part of either unconstrained; and be not obstinate in your own Opinion, in Things indifferent be of the Major Side. (If two people disagree, do not take one side or the other. Be flexible in your own opinions and when you don’t care, take the majority opinion.)
70. Reprehend not the imperfections of others for that belongs to Parents Masters and Superiors. (Do not correct others when it is not your place to do so.)
71. Gaze not on the marks or blemishes of Others and ask not how they came. What you may Speak in Secret to your Friend deliver not before others.
72. Speak not in an unknown Tongue in Company but in your own Language and that as those of Quality do and not as the Vulgar; Sublime matters treat Seriously.
73. Think before you Speak pronounce not imperfectly nor bring out your Words too hastily but orderly & distinctly.
74. When Another Speaks be attentive your Self and disturb not the Audience if any hesitate in his Words help him not nor Prompt him without desired, Interrupt him not, nor Answer him till his Speech be ended.
75. In the midst of Discourse ask not of what one treateth but if you Perceive any Stop because of your coming you may well entreat him gently to Proceed: If a Person of Quality comes in while your Conversing it’s handsome to Repeat what was said before.
76. While you are talking, Point not with your Finger at him of Whom you Discourse nor Approach too near him to whom you talk especially to his face.
77. Treat with men at fit Times about Business & Whisper not in the Company of Others.
78. Make no Comparisons and if any of the Company be Commended for any brave act of Virtue, commend not another for the Same. (Don’t compare yourselves amongst yourselves.)
79. Be not apt to relate News if you know not the truth thereof. In Discoursing of things you Have heard Name not your Author always A Secret Discover not. (Do not be quick to talk about something when you don’t have all the facts.)
80. Be not Tedious in Discourse or in reading unless you find the Company pleased therewith.
81. Be not Curious to Know the Affairs of Others neither approach those that Speak in Private. (Do not be curious about the affairs of others.)
82. Undertake not what you cannot Perform but be Careful to keep your Promise. (Do not start what you cannot finish. Keep your promises.)
83. When you deliver a matter do it without Passion & with Discretion, however mean the Person be you do it too.
84. When your Superiors talk to any Body hearken not neither Speak nor Laugh.
85. In Company of these of Higher Quality than yourself Speak not 'til you are ask’d a Question then Stand upright put of your Hat & Answer in few words.
86. In Disputes, be not So Desirous to Overcome as not to give Liberty to each one to deliver his Opinion and Submit to the Judgment of the Major Part especially if they are Judges of the Dispute.
87. Let thy carriage be such as becomes a Man Grave Settled and attentive to that which is spoken. Contradict not at every turn what others Say.
88. Be not tedious in Discourse, make not many Digressions, nor repeat often the Same manner of Discourse.
89. Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust. (Do not speak badly of those who are not present.)
90. Being Set at meat Scratch not neither Spit Cough or blow your Nose except there’s a Necessity for it.
91. Make no Shew of taking great Delight in your Victuals, Feed not with Greediness; cut your Bread with a Knife, lean not on the Table, neither find fault with what you Eat.
92. Take no Salt or cut Bread with your Knife Greasy.
93. Entertaining any one at table it is decent to present him with meat, Undertake not to help others undesired by the Master.
94. If you Soak bread in the Sauce let it be no more than what you put in your Mouth at a time and blow not your broth at Table but Stay till Cools of it’s Self.
95. Put not your meat to your Mouth with your Knife in your hand, neither Spit forth the Stones of any fruit Pye upon a Dish nor Cast anything under the table.
96. It’s unbecoming to Stoop much to ones Meat Keep your Fingers clean & when foul wipe them on a Corner of your Table Napkin.
97. Put not another bit into your Mouth 'til the former be Swallowed let not your Morsels be too big for the Jowls. (Don’t take so big a bite that you must chew with your mouth open.)
98. Drink not nor talk with your mouth full neither Gaze about you while you are a Drinking.
99. Drink not too leisurely nor yet too hastily. Before and after Drinking wipe your Lips breath not then or Ever with too Great a Noise, for its uncivil.
100. Cleanse not your teeth with the Table Cloth Napkin Fork or Knife but if Others do it let it be done with a Pick Tooth.
101. Rinse not your Mouth in the Presence of Others.
102. It is out of use to call upon the Company often to Eat nor need you Drink to others every Time you Drink.
103. In Company of your Betters be not longer in eating than they are lay not your Arm but only your hand upon the table.
104 It belongs to the Chiefest in Company to unfold his Napkin and fall to Meat first, But he ought then to Begin in time & to Dispatch with Dexterity that the Slowest may have time allowed him.
105. Be not Angry at Table whatever happens & if you have reason to be so, Shew it not but on a Cheerful Countenance especially if there be Strangers for Good Humour makes one Dish of Meat a Feast.
106. Set not yourself at the upper of the Table but if it Be your Due or that the Master of the house will have it So, Contend not, least you Should Trouble the Company.
107. If others talk at Table be attentive but talk not with Meat in your Mouth. (Show interest in others conversation, but don’t talk with your mouth full.)
108. When you Speak of God or his Attributes, let it be Seriously & with Reverence. Honour & Obey your Natural Parents although they be Poor.
109. Let your Recreations be Manful not Sinful.
110. Labour to keep alive in your Breast that Little Spark of Celestial fire Called Conscience. (Don’t allow yourself to become jaded, cynical or calloused.)
So I am almost to my one year anniversary in December and I have also hit 2500 followers! In celebration of this I will be starting something I have wanted to do for a very long time! It’s time to play as Britain’s most strapping, buff, naughty little gentleman!
According to the The Gentleman’s Guide "The Rules" of a Kingsman Gentleman are as follows:
(1) A gentleman never tells about conquests, private matters, or dealings. His business is nobody else’s.
(2) A gentleman doesn’t clash in public with enemies or exes, or worse, with out-of-fashion contrasts, colors or styles.
(3) A gentleman is always happy to serve, whether it’s opening the door, picking up the bill, or merely calling a cab the next morning. Ask him for help and he cannot refuse.
(4) A gentleman never reacts to rudeness. He pretends he doesn’t recognize it and moves on like it never happened, because it never should have.
(5) A gentleman is always on target with witty remarks, interesting facts, and conversation starters that bring the best out of everyone.
(6) A gentleman asks non-invasive questions to keep a conversation going and attention focused on others. He makes them feel like the most interesting person he’s ever met, whether that’s true or not.