I stripped Stabby down to the barest of the motor frame… I didn’t think I’d have to go this far down, but, the difference between the two track types is significant!
The new tracks are at the top, the old tracks are at the bottom. The new ones are 5 studs wide, 2 studs wider than the original ones… sooo… yeah, total redesign of the chassis to accommodate them.
Lookit all of the pieces I had to tear off poor stabby! :(
Wait a minute… is that a functional powertrain? … … … Why YES IT IS! A total redesign, but, it gave me opportunities to make improvements to the original design!
For example, I was able to better fit the rear access cover, it sits solidly now and doesn’t feel like it’s just bodged on.
Under the access panel, the battery box… looking at this picture, makes me think I need to flip it around… hmmmmmm. (It is about midnight here right now… sooo…)
And finally, a front view, the new servo motor is visible with a long axle coming out of it. I’m waiting for the third IR sensor to arrive so I can hook it up to its own channel for the speed controller on the remote. Stabby’s head stalk will have full 90° movement left and right, and, will also be able to incline his head. I haven’t worked out that feature yet, but, it will happen!
Yeah… I know! he looks so cold all naked down to his bare chassis! But, I left the design similar enough, the side panels I already have made SHOULD snap right back on.
Alright, those are the updates for today, I’ll post a video tomorrow of his movement! Whatcha all think?
What happens when you combine a soybean plant with a robot?
You get a soybot!
Developed by researchers at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, they’re on-the-go micro gardens that help indoor plants seek out light.
“They’re equipped with two sensors that measure light conditions, they move continually in the direction of the brighter light,” said Shannon McMullen, a sociologist at Purdue. Learn more and see a video below.
Stabby says HI! but, he is totally going through some upgrades right now, so, he’s… in pieces… !
Disassembled Even! Poor Stabby!
But, UPGRADES! Seriously, the first main thing is a change of shoes… uhm, tracks…
On the right are the original tracks, small, dinky… serviceable, but, well, dinky and would get thrown if the little guy came across an obstacle. Also, He could not pursue anyone onto tile floors, no traction! So his main objective, slicing ankles, could not be achieved if someone retreated to my kitchen or bathroom… On the Left, are the upgrades, and, they come with rubber inserts so… there is no safety on the tile!
The next upgrade is the neck motor!
I got a Servo Motor (bottom) to replace the M motor (Top) for his neck! The M Motor is a full rotational motor, so, I had to use a clutch gear and stops so he wouldn’t spin his whole head stalk around and break the wires that light up his eyes. The Servo Motor is limited to three main positions, Center, and 90° Left/Right, if used with a toggle switch, or, if you use a speed regulator, it has 7 increments between center and full left or right.
Which leads me up to the controller!
Lookit that beauty! I have a third IR Receiver coming in, so, three remotes, Red on the left controls the left tracks, blue on the far right controls the right track. That leaves blue on channel 2, and red on Channel 1 for accessories. The Speed controller in the center, is going to be set for channel 3, and will control the head motions, turning left/right, and elevating the head up and down!
So, stay tuned! I’ll post more updates as I get the sprockets in for the new treads, the new IR receiver, and start implementing the upgrades!
Ah, new blog for my Lego Stuff. Figured I’d separate Lego stuff from my general all purpose chaos blog.
Soooooo…. Bricklink Haul today with LOTS of components to rebuild Stabby!
Technic Lift arm beams in many different sizes and shapes! I had completed Stabby, you can see the neck/head gimbal and Stabby’s face in the background, but, when I took him to work, and then to the local Lego Store, Several performance issues arose and I found he was very slow to move on hard floors.
He was also VERY unbalanced and top/front heavy…
Part of the reason for being top/front heavy is the angle of the tracks, and, yes, the GoPro Session in the neck/head gimbal.
I’ve also upgraded from the LOS IR sensors to an SBrick, so, the GoPro allows me to run Stabby around without having to directly watch him. (I’ve also got a GREAT video of one of my engineers dancing for him and talking to him like a puppy!)
So, complete redesign to make him run on hard floors better, and faster, and so, a LARGE Bricklink order for the pieces to do so. :)
Roomba Art - Long Exposure Shots of Roombas in action
These photos are made using Roombas autonomous robot vacuum cleaners. By attaching differently colored LEDs on top of them and using long exposure photography artists were able to capture the cleaning paths taken by these robots. Some of these are also as a result of programming paths, the effects are these long light paintings.