Geode Cake pops
Yields 2 to 4 dozen
The things you’ll needIngredients
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup chopped chocolate
- Dark chocolate coating chocolate
- White & gold sanding sugar
- Ro’s Sugar Gems
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Ice cream scoop
- 9 by 13-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper
- Lollipop sticks
- Brown & white royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
- Baking spray
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add sugars and whisk together until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, water, vanilla extract, sour cream, and oil. Mix together until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into a greased and lined pan and then tap the pan on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove cake and allow it to cool completely. Cut cake into portions and then mix portions in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment for 3 minutes.
- Microwave cream for one minute and then pour over chopped chocolate. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour ganache over the cake crumbs and then mix with paddle attachment on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Roll cake balls smooth and then use your fingers to press a cavity in the center.
- Place cake balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment and refrigerate for an hour.
Time to decorate!
- Dip a lollipop stick into dark chocolate and then insert into a cake ball. Do this for the rest of your cake pops and then refrigerate them for 30 minutes.
- Dip cake balls into dark coating chocolate and then allow them to dry.
- Use brown royal icing to attach sugar gems to the inside of each cake ball. Allow to dry completely.
- Pipe a thin line of white royal icing around the edge of each geode and then coat in white and gold sanding sugar.
- TaDa! Rock the party with these amazing Geode Cake Pops!