I know we all are starving for the backstory and i dont know if you talked about this but do you have any predictions or wishes ?
oh yes yes I love prekerberos backstory stuff!! Okay, so:
- I don’t think Shiro and Keith were friends at first. we know that Keith has deep abandonment issues and really struggles with emotional intimacy, so I imagine he had difficulty reaching out to others. We also know that Shiro really changed his life, but many people are averse to change. Even if Shiro was just trying to help–saw that Keith had no one in his corner and tried to take him under his wing–I think it’s very likely Keith fought him every step of the way. He can take care of himself. But gradually, Shiro works his way into his heart, and there’s just no turning back. (see here)
- I also am very much a proponent of the theory that the change of clothes Shiro got from Keith’s shack belonged to him originally, and that he stayed over at some point prekerberos and left them there
- Following in the same vein of that, I like to imagine the hoverbike was originally Shiro’s and he and Keith ditched curfew to go on midnight rides through the desert. And at one point Keith drove them to his shack. To me, it just makes more sense that the bike would be Shiro’s, because I honestly can’t think of any conceivable way for Keith to afford it. We’re talking about someone who lived in a rundown shack without a bed and a slab of stone on stacks of cinderblocks for a table after all, I feel like he couldn’t afford this sleek new hoverbike model.
- Keith’s favorite class according to the Voltron site’s paladin quiz is self-defense, and we know from his gladiator days that Shiro was damn good at hand-to-hand combat. So I just really want Shiro and Keith to be sparring partners at the garrison. Like maybe Keith is really stressed out and needs to blow off some steam so Shiro offers to train with him. And yeah, he’s fast and his footwork’s deftly fluid, he’s good at evasion and more agile than anyone in his class. But he’s also impatient and hot-blooded, and after gauging his technique long enough it doesn’t take much for Shiro to get the better of him. Keith spends their first few sessions with a perpetual losing streak and having to constantly hear “patience yields focus.”
- Keith broke lots of records in the sim, and most of those belonged to Shiro
- They eat lunch together in the commissary and everyone stares at Keith because what the hell is that cadet doing with Shirogane
- Shiro is the garrison golden boy and Keith is the up and coming ace pilot. The officers mostly can’t stand Keith because he’s rough around the edges, blunt, hates following orders, carves his own course, and never does things by the book.
- Astronauts at NASA have said part of the screening process was determining whether or not you would be good for publicity. Like, Shiro is practically America’s sweetheart and perfect for being the face of the garrison. He’s great for the recruitment posters. Having their best new pilot be Keith is frustrating though, because he doesn’t fit into their little mold, but he’s also too damn good for them to ever let him go
- Keith pining for Shiro please
- And Shiro being really blown away by Keith’s raw talent and ability, Shiro admiring Keith and slowly realizing oh no, I like him
- I really want Keith either being super supportive of Shiro’s decision to accept his mission for Kerberos or completely heartbroken he’s leaving and tries to get as much distance as possible to make the separation less painful
- Keith being there for the mission launch and Shiro holding him close in a warm hug, murmuring that he’ll be back soon and not to worry. Keith stiffens, but still says, voice broken, “I know. You’re a great pilot, Shiro. You’ll be okay.”