I don’t see enough appreciation posts for Eddard Stark so here are some bullet points on why Eddard Stark was the best character on Game of Thrones:
- Went to war to avenge his family, rescue his sister and stick with his bestie.
- Could have had the Iron Throne but chose not to because it would backstab Robert.
- Protested against the killing of Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon very loudly.
- Respected the fuck out of people who deserved it even though they were his enemies at the time, e.g Arthur Dayne.
- Adopted his Targaryen-born nephew as his own, even though it could have got him executed for treason if anyone found out the truth.
- Apparently never bore any ill thoughts about his sister, despite all the shit that she caused which he may have not known the reasons for.
- Pretended right up till his death that he stepped out on his wife and ruined his honour just to keep said nephew safe.
- Never once broke his promise to Lyanna for the eighteen years he kept it, didn’t even tell his wife or the nephew himself.
- Never used his nephew for leverage.
- Raised a hella
sexygreat son called Jon Snow, despite the circumstances, who’s probably going to save the world.
- Raised five other amazing kids. All round great dad.
- Utterly faithful in marriage, though it seems that hardly anyone else in Westeros is. All round great husband.
- Stayed friends with Robert, even though the show portrays Robert as not being too amicable at times. All round great friend.
- Turned out a good Warden of the North, though he was never meant to inherit the title or Winterfell.
- Genuinely supported the Night’s Watch, you know, the guys that are defending the realm from wildlings, giants, the Others and who the fuck knows else.
- “The man who passes the sentence must swing the sword.”
- Let his daughter learn to sword-fight when it was 100% not the done thing. That way saves Arya’s life several times over.
- Didn’t trust the Lannisters right from the start and turned out to be hella right about that.
- Was one of the only people to try and expose the truth about Jon Arryn and the Lannisters.
- Wouldn’t let Robert assassinate Daenerys, even though she was his enemy and he could have ruined his friendship and lost his job.
- Gave Cersei and the kids a chance to run away.
- Was willing to admit to high treason and possible execution just to keep Sansa and Arya safe.
Feel free to add, ya’ll.