I think it’s important to note that Richard still could have killed Carol. He still could have used her and executed that plan. And because he was so ready to sacrifice himself and die for the Kingdom and the war, with that mindset, he couldn’t have been afraid of Daryl’s threat.
So that’s not what stopped Richard from killing Carol.
There was clear empathy in his eyes as he looked at Daryl after hearing Daryl’s long-winded threat. Richard endured a beating and a long speech about how if he so much as looked at Carol that wrong way, Daryl would kill him. Richard was willing to die for the cause anyway, so it wasn’t even that Daryl scared him away from Carol. It was that Richard saw how much Carol means to Daryl.
I think that’s what stopped him from harming Carol.
Then we learn that Richard had a wife, and she was killed. So really, I think that if you connect the dots, it’s pretty dam clear that Richard stayed away from Carol because he saw what was between her and Daryl, and he knew the pain Daryl would go through if Carol were to die. So he couldn’t inflict that on someone else. Because Richard, who lost his wife, knows that pain.
We were thinking about that new Doctor Who spin off ‘Class’ and were giggling at the thought of the board of governors being played by ex-companion actors. So like a gay older couple played by Peter Purves and Frazer Hines arguing over the last rich tea biscuit, a sweet and scatty woman played by Maureen O’Brien who keeps forgetting where she put her glasses. Louise Jameson as the gossiping school secretary who never gets off her mobile phone, and a business like Ofsted inspector Janet Fielding wearing a sharp suit and trying to scare everyone with threat of closure. And of course William Russell who’s the chairman and trying to get some work done with a tweed suit and a twinkle in his eye. Then one episode they get a visit from the Mayor and Mayoress Richard Franklin and Anneke Wills. And then every episode is literally just another cameo by a classic who actor.
SFCon Rob Benedict, Richard Speight Jr., and Matt Cohen Panel Highlights
Phoo, another crazy one. That’s to be expected with these guys though. Especially when the panel started with an impromptu dance number. But it ended with Matt Cohen’s testicles, so that’s what a Supernatural convention is like. Here’s highlights from the in between bits.
- Their unofficial, official group name for the SPN Tour is Greyer, Balder, Stronger.
- When someone asked if Richard would be willing to return to SPN for a plot where the Trickster was being held captive by Kali and had to do his bidding, he struggled to find a negative to that as to why he wouldn’t do it.
- Matt answered a fan saying he was what inspired Richard to act. For actual answers, Matt’s inspiration was Edward Norton in American History X. It was Robert DeNiro and Dustin Hoffman for Rob. And Richard just always wanted to be an actor. But he loved memorizing Steve Martin albums as a kid.
- It was decided that if they ever made a movie out of SPN it would be a cartoon musical.
- A woman asked if, based on Fan Fiction, Chuck wasn’t actually God. Rob said He wouldn’t think that. That God/Chuck is always there. Richard proclaimed “Don’t challenge his godliness woman.”
- In the course of a debate over Jared and Jensen impressions. Rob ended up sitting on Richard’s shoulders to do his Jared impression. Richard’s impression of Jensen made him realize Jensen doesn’t use many verbs. He once started a phone with Richard “Tough Mudder. Mudder, heard of it.” And will say departing words like, “Email. holiday party. Email”
- Richard has always backstoried it that when Gabriel had to go into hiding, he stole Loki’s meatsuit so others that knew Loki would recognize him as such. So Loki is stuck in prison somewhere.
- Asked what shows they’d like to crossover SPN with, Richard said Judge Judy. Rob said Seinfeld and they cast Misha as Newman, Jared as Kramer, Rob as Jerry and Jensen as Elaine. Matt said the HBO show Looking, for the fans.
- Matt died laughing learning that Pellegrino and Sebastian had a panel together, feeling bad for Mark.
- Richard doesn’t really like sweets much, but does enjoy chocolate covered cherries and chocolate mousse. Not a tan Jared, the food item. Then came a rattling of items from Matt and Richard (Reese’s, coffee candy, Skor bars, and Whatchamacallit’s)
- When asked who he would save in a burning building, Richard said, “We all grasp hands and go to hell together.” Then it was decided that Richard’s hair would instantly go up in flames and kill him, which would startle Rob into falling out a window to his death, but the flames wouldn’t even touch Matt Cohen, but it would burn it his clothes off. So Matt would emerge naked like khaleeai from the flames, having saved all the puppies on his way out. Then it devolved into talk of the floors of the building collapsing one by one with naked Matt and this is where the talk of his testicles came into play.
- If he could hunt any monster anywhere in the world, Matt would hunt on island in Fiji where it was sunny, and he was on the beach, hunting a tiny and harmless monster. Rob and Richard added that he’d be naked with a puppy.
- Most embarrassing middle/high school moments were: On Rob’s first day of high school he was sprinting from class to class and turned to look for a class to his left, then ran straight into the corner of brick wall. When played football in fifth grade, he didn’t know how to put the pads in his pants and no one would help him. So he just put the against his legs instead of in the pockets, so the slid out like giant turds as he took the field. Matt tried to impress a girl in seventh grade by jumping off the bleachers at a rally. He tore a ligament in his right knee and was stuck on the ground while the entire school exited, while his knee bled internally.
- It should be known that there is a gif out there of Rob wearing nothing but a banana hammock style swimsuit from an episode of Head Case.