I'm starting to kind of maybe possibly ship bagginshield. Could you give me some reasons get on this ship?
OH MY GOSH. SO MANY WHERE DO I EVEN START.
- THEY’RE BOTH SO DIFFERENT YET SO SIMILAR: At first glance they’re so terribly different. I mean there’s the obvious one’s a dwarf one’s a hobbit…Thorin’s lived in exile, is a prince of a lost homeland and his family’s honor weighs on his shoulders while Bilbo lives in comfort of his parents warm home perfectly content with his maps and armchair and garden with no desire for adventure I mean lbr they seem like they’d be the least compatible people on the planet.
- BUT UPON CLOSER INSPECTION THEY HAVE SIMILAR PERSONALITY TRAITS. ((there was a really good post about their similar personalities it took me ages to find since it was well over a year ago and i thought for a bit it was taken down but but this covers it all))
- Bilbo will not stand for Thorin’s shit. In the book it’s even more obvious. King Under the Mountain, leader of this company of dwarves and this hobbit won’t take his shit. My favorite instance of this (which I am sad didn’t make it into the movie):
Groans came from inside, and out crept a most unhappy dwarf….It was some time before [Thorin] would be even polite to the hobbit.
“Well, are you alive or are you dead?” asked Bilbo quite crossly. … "Are you still in prison, or are you free? If you want food, and if you want to go on with this silly adventure–it’s yours after all and not mine–you had better slap your arms and rub your legs and try and help me get the others out while there is a chance!“
Thorin of course saw the sense of this, so after a few more groans he got up and helped the hobbit as well as he could.
- At the beginning of the journey Thorin hates the idea of bringing this mild-mannered hobbit along with them on this adventure. By the time they get into the mountain (We’ve heard this from Armitage himself) he’s Thorin’s singular confidant. We even see at the end of DOS Thorin trusts Bilbo immensely and he’s proved himself countless times.
- [Shameless link to my own gifs of Richard’s Interview about the relationship and how it grows from AUJ with some comments regarding why that person ships it]
- BILBO IS THORIN’S HOPE.WE SEE THIS A LOT IN DOS. Trapped in Mirkwood? ‘Not our only hope’. Give up after not finding a key hole? Bilbo stays and begs them, begs Thorin ‘You can’t give up now!’ He’s seen Thorin’s struggle and even though he’s an outsider to all this he refuses to let them give up and calls Thorin back once he figures it out. [See this post for more elaboration on this]
- BILBO AT THE END OF AUJ!! The entire company is stuck in the trees, Thorin’s a fuckin idiot and decides to take on Azog on his own yOU KNOW WHO SAVES HIS ASS?? DO YOU KNOW HOW FIERCE THAT LITTLE HOBBIT IS TO DO THAT?? THAT LITTLE HOBBIT RUNNING HIS LITTLE 'LETTER-OPENER’ THROUGH THAT ORCS CHEST WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT FOR THORIN’S SAKE. AND THEN STANDING BETWEEN HIM AND AZOG THE ORC THAT HE’S HEARD HAS BEHEADED THORIN’S GRANDFATHER AND HE’S STANDING UP TO THIS FUCKIN TERRIFYING ORC PROBABLY REALIZING 'THIS IS IT THIS IS THE END’ BUT HE DOES IT FOR THORIN.
- Just please rewatch the end of AUJ with shipper goggles on. On Carrock when Thorin wakes up the first thing out of his mouth is ’..the halfling?’ and the hug and etc. etc.
- more book passages:
of course Thorin’s in a good mood, he just returned to his ancestral homeland and his pockets filled with gold and gems but you know what he says when Bilbo complains about his kingdom??“You wait till it has been cleaned and redecorated”he assumes Bilbo will stay long enough to see the kingdom cleaned and redecorated. THAT’S A BIG ASS KINGDOM, DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THAT WOULD PROBABLY BE?? HE JUST FIGURES THAT THEIR BURGLAR IS GOING TO MOVE TO THE MOUNTAIN LIKE THE REST OF THEM AFTER IT’S BEEN RECLAIMED.
“Dear me!” grumbled the hobbit. “More walking and more climbing without breakfast! I wonder how many breakfasts, and other meals, we have missed inside that nasty clockless, timeless hole?”
“Come, come!” said Thorin laughing - his spirits had begun to rise again, and he rattled the precious stones in his pockets. “Don’t call my place a nasty hole! You wait till it has been cleaned and redecorated!”
- THEN IN THE VERY END OF THE BOOK AFTER BOFA THORIN STAYS ALIVE JUST TO SEE BILBO ONE LAST TIME. He’s dying from fatal wounds–HE IS IN PAIN. AND BILBO IS MISSING AND HE KNOWS HE HAS TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT BEFORE HE DIES. HE KEEPS HIMSELF ALIVE AND CONSCIOUS LONG ENOUGH FOR BILBO TO BE FOUND AND THEN DIES AFTER FINALLY GETTING TO FORGIVE BILBO.
- now less to do with canon just imagine them as a cute domestic couple: imagine thorin living in the shire adopting hobbit mannerisms and helping bilbo cook dinner every night. imagine bilbo returning to erebor to rule alongside thorin–dwarves scoffing at this outsider that their king has chosen and bilbo being an amazing kickass consort and proving them wrong. imagine fili and kili calling bilbo 'uncle bilbo’ imagine frodo eventually living with bilbo and instead of just one uncle he has two and thorin spoils the young hobbit beyond all reason.
- THERE’S LITERALLY SO MUCH MORE I COULD WRITE A BOOK ABOUT WHY I SHIP THEM AND WHY I LOVE THEM BUT HERE WE ARE.