Best Of Restaurant Week Snark
So Chicago, as I’m sure many big American cities do, has a “restaurant week” in the dark of winter, when the restaurant business is normally slow anyway. At this point it lasts two weeks, because here in the midwest we are Extra about our food. At Restaurant Week, participating restaurants offer fixed menus at fixed prices which sometimes are a great deal and sometimes…are not.
Anthony Todd at Chicagoist decided to do a break down of the best and worst deals for Restaurant Week(s) and I looked through his spreadsheet to see if any of my local joints were participating (so that I could avoid them during the crowded times). After a while I just started reading to enjoy his salt. Below are some highlights of his Restaurant Week commentary:
- I’m not going to dignify this one by doing math.
- I wouldn’t recommend the upsell option, unless you’re a big ceviche fan.
- There’s a veggie burger on the $44 dinner menu that i’m fairly sure would be a terrible deal.
- I recently gave this restaurant a bad review, but because the normal menu is so incredibly overpriced, the menu is a bargain and the view is amazing.
- Unless their pie is worth $8 to you, you can lose money on this deal. I don’t think it is.
- If the dessert wasn’t gelato, this might make sense.
- Unless you think a beer or cocktail is worth $17, this is an absolutely awful deal.
- If you go to Rainforest Cafe for your big Restaurant Week meal, I can’t help you.