Okay, so this is the last anon I am going to answer on this because 1) this is tiring and 2) I don’t know why it matters to so many people.
But okay, anon, this is actually the video link I referenced in my first response to the first anon and thank you for finding it because I scoured youtube looking for it in order to link it in the response! But I will repeat myself again here: this video is extraneous to the show, meaning that yeah, it’s on youtube for people to watch, but not all of the audience is going to watch it, therefore I, personally, don’t consider it canon fact, given it’s not actually material that’s in the show explicitly. And honestly, I don’t appreciate people telling me how I view it to be wrong considering I am going off what is laid out in canon as well as what I believe writing that supports my claim. If they ever retcon it in show, that’s another story, but for now, the line exists, Freddie said it, that’s good enough for me.
Furthermore, in the video, Rodriguez is discussing the casting process for Zane and how they were looking for an older actor, but Zane fit the bill so they made adjustments, despite Zane not being the age they wanted. And yeah, he does say they switched it, but you know what, they never actually changed it within the show’s writing? If it mattered that much, the line would have been changed, it could have been easily switched, but he kept the line in. The line stayed. And then they never disputed it further on in the show, they even cast child!Richie as slightly older than child!Seth. They had every opportunity to make the adjustment if the ages mattered that much, but I think it matters more to fandom for reasons I cannot begin to understand than it does to the show’s creators.
And honestly, it bothers me that THIS is the Robert Rodriguez soundbite that everyone focuses on as canon when he has said other things that fandom has either willfully ignored or deemed “not the that important” given they provide interesting insights to the characters beyond simple facts, as well as comments that challenge common fandom character interpretations, such as:
- He considers Freddie to be very dear to him because Freddie is the character created to be the viewpoint of the audience, specifically the Latinx audience, given his arc is to go into Mexico and find his roots
- Giving Santanico a story arc, as well as history was one of the reasons the show was even thought in his mind because he felt they had done her wrong in the film making her a two-dimensional villain and killing her off within five minutes of her introduction and she’s probably his favorite character–he calls Pandemonium the pilot to “the Santanico show"
- That the Gecko dynamic in the show is not how it normally is, as what’s happening to Richie is causing strain and Seth to exist in a role that is not normally his; he says that Richie is not himself through most of the show
- In addendum to that: he changed Richie from film!Richie, he says they are two completely different characters and that he intended show!Richie to be sympathetic and tortured, not fully in control of his actions given his entire world perception doesn’t make sense to him anymore, as well as vindicated when he reached the Twister and realized that he wasn’t losing his mind, but rather Santanico was messing with it
- & many more, but that would be me transcribing his entire commentary and I don’t have the time or energy for that
But anyway, this is the last I’m going to say on the topic. Thank you.