Prompt: The Oscars’ luncheon breeds a new relationship for Lin.
Words: 2,450 (Good LORD)
Author’s Note: I’ve been looking for some smaller things to write as I gear up for the write-a-thon, and Lin was tweeting about the Oscars’ Luncheon. Got a bit of an inspiration. (Y/M/N) = Your Mother’s Name. I know that some people don’t have mothers but this prompt required a parental figure. Feel free to change it to anyone you want!
Warnings: General lack of knowledge as to what happens at an Oscar Luncheon.
“I’ve never even heard of this.” You sigh into your phone, your publicist trying to maintain an even and calm tone with you. “I mean, yeah, any day I get to stand in the same room as Meryl Streep you can count me in.”
“Amazing! I’ll get in touch with your stylist-” You allowed the eccentric woman to go off about a list of her duties as you boarded your subway, weaving through bodies to find an empty spot next to the handrail.
“Nothing too insane. This is a luncheon, I’m not meeting the queen.”
“This is the Oscars, Y/N! No one will be in a sweatshirt and Levis!”
You certainly wish you could be.
The past year has been a bit of a whirlwind for you - interviews and movie offers and an Oscar nomination. Everything was still very new to you - you had never even gone on a talk show until just a few months ago. A year ago you were struggling to pay rent and scraping together money to be able to feed both you and your dog.
Then a once in a lifetime chance came your way and you jumped on it before you could blink.
NETWORK | Netflix CREATED BY | Norman Lear; adapted by Mike Royce and Gloria C. Kellett
NUMBER OF EPISODES | 13 episodes (in Season 1)
EPISODE LENGTH | 30 mins
PREMISE | This reimagining of the Lear classic puts the focus on Penelope Alvarez (Six Feet Under‘s Justina Machado), an Afghanistan war vet now working as nurse. Recently separated, she is raising her two kids — teenagers Elena (Matador‘s Isabella Gomez) and Alex (newcomer Marcel Ruiz) — with the help of traditional Cuban mother Lydia (EGOT winner Rita Moreno) and friendly building manager Schneider (Grace and Frankie‘s Todd Grinnell). Also in the mix is Dr. Berkowitz (Silicon Valley‘s Stephen Tobolowsky), Penelope’s boss who eventually takes a liking to Lydia.
WORTH YOUR TIME IF YOU ENJOY… | Traditional family sitcoms — not that there’s anything wrong with that. Despite the recent popularity of single-camera comedies, an old-school, four-camera comedy still has the potential to be great. Just ask Lear, who spent most of the 1970s churning out some of the very best multi-cam fare ever on television (see All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Maude). The 94-year-old auteur might not have a writing credit on any of the new episodes, but his signature brand of forward-thinking comedy is not lost here; it’s specifically what makes this reboot shine, and adaptors Royce and Kellet (who hail from Everybody Loves Raymond and How I Met Your Mother, respectively) deserve kudos for honoring both the original One Day and its creator in that regard. And if nothing else, you’re bound to enjoy Moreno’s performance. The woman is a national treasure.
YOU SHOULD PROBABLY ALSO KNOW… | As alluded to above, this show delves into heavier topics than most of the traditional multi-camera fare on network television today. Over the course of just 13 episodes, the show deals with gender inequality, healthcare and veterans’ benefits, depression, religion, alcoholism and PTSD, among other subjects. The series also does a terrific job with the coming out story of one of Penelope’s children.
IS IT COMING BACK? | Yes. Netflix announced back in March that it has renewed the comedy for a 13-episode Season 2. (Premiere date TBA.) WHERE CAN I WATCH IT? | The complete first season is streaming on Netflix.
Sharing all my classes with Baz isn’t much different now
that we’re soulmates. I still spend most of the lesson staring at the back of
his head, and he still refuses to look at me for as long as he possibly can,
except now when he finally cracks and turns his head, his cheeks are always
flushed and the look in his eyes is properly moony. He used to just sneer at
I like how easily I can get to him, now that he lets me.
A few days after our conversation with Penny, I’m still
thinking about what he said. About how his family will make him fight me, and
the Mage will expect me to fight back.
I’ve decided that I won’t do it. I guess I knew it the
moment I found out that he’s my soulmate, but now I really mean it. I won’t
fight Baz. I want to make sure he knows that.
Yoongi slowly walked toward the small house snuck in between bigger buildings at the end of the street. He needed to do this, it had been weeks since he’d last talked to his mother and he was sure she was getting antsy, if the the 121 missed calls and 53 voice messages meant anything. This was just how his life was and he needed to suck it up. Cause Yoongi had learned early on that pity and sadness only equated weakness. When he arrived at the door, he saw it was just as beaten down as the last time he’d seen it, the paint chipped so bad that it looked like an animal had attacked it. He sighed and rang the doorbell, adjusting the one cheap tie he had bought years ago for occasions like this. His suit was two sizes too big and his dress shirt still had a stain from his last visit (hopefully his mother wouldn’t be able to tell). I mean Yoongi wasn’t poor, far from that, his “extracurricular activities” paid well. But Yoongi also believed in not using money where it wasn’t needed. The money it would take to buy a better suit, he could just give to his mom. Combing his hair with his fingers one last time, Yoongi took in a deep breath and pasted on a fake smile. The door creaked open and before him stood his small, stocky mom. Frown lines more prominent, hair grayer, but smile just as bright as ever. Yoongi loved his mother (She was the only family that was worth shit anyway). And he knew what it would do to her to know how he actually survived. So a couple times a year he would dress up in his “office worker” costume and play pretend. He didn’t want to be a bigger disappoint than he already was. Right when she saw him, Yoongi was pulled into a bone crushing hug that smelled of cinnamon and old memories.
“Momf I canth brefthe” Yoongi muffled as his moms relentless hold tightened.
“That’s what you get for making me worried for days. Come back sooner. Have you no respect for your mother. I wait and wait and you never call or com-”
“Alright, alright sorry, I know I suck, I should come more often, but um… work gets very stressful mom.” Yoongi said cutting her off and finally pulling out of the hug. As soon as he mentioned work, his mothers face fell into a sympathetic and worrisome state.
“They’re not overworking you are they. If they are Yoongi say something, they can’t treat you however they want you know” His mother stated defiantly. Worked up on Yoongi’s behalf. She led him into the house and walked straight to the kitchen. If Yoongi knew his mother, he knew there was a feast waiting for him.
“I know mom. Thanks” he sighed sitting down at the table with copious amounts of food on it. “How do you always out do your self. Mom I’m not starving. I don’t send you money just so you can make me dinner that could feed an army.”
“Just say thank you and eat the food. If I don’t spend money on my boy then who else would I spend it on.” She asked, incredulous. She sat down beside him and started placing food on his spoon and plate. “I only need to see you happy to be happy.” Yoongi’s mom was a sap, and she knew just the words to melt his heart. Had it been anyone else, Yoongi would’ve scoffed and degraded their entire existence, but to his mother he could only smile and shove his face. He knew the routine by now, after stuffing himself with food until he weighed about 20 lbs heavier, Yoongi would be asked a series of questions regarding his personal life, then he would mention his workload and his mom would pack him the food he wasn’t able to finish (which could honestly last him a month) and he’d be on his way. The process took about 3hrs. It was simple and always the same. Except this time Jimin had called him nearing the end of the personal questionnaire portion of the evening and his mother had seen the contact info before he quickly hung up. Now he could’ve made any excuse to who Jimin was, If the idiot thug wasnt as possessive as he was, and hadn’t changed his name in Yoongi’s phone from “Rich Asshat” to “❤️Jiminie❤️”. I mean yeah he’d done it months ago, which gave Yoongi plenty of time to change it back, but Yoongi’s excuse of always being too busy remained strong. (Also there was the fact that his name was saved as “Suga😍👌🏾👅” in Jimins phone and he secretly loved the personal feeling it gave off, but you’d catch him dead before he admitted that). So instead of 3hrs it took 4 and a half, as he kept repeating that Jimin wasnt anything serious but rather just a casual relationship. And the hearts around his name were a joke, but his mother wasn’t truly convinced. So he now had to bring Jimin to dinner next time he came, and it had to be before the month ended, or he’d “see his mother’s wrath”. Yoongi grumbled and pouted the rest of the night and huffed an annoyed sigh as he grabbed the bags of food and gave his mother a kiss on the check as he left her home.
“I’m excited to see him.” She smiled, and then narrowed her eyes and continued, “and if I don’t then you won’t have a mother either.” Dramatic was her middle name.
“Yeah yeah” he waved as he left her behind. Playing pretend for his mother was a habit by now. And he sometimes believed she played along. How else would the warm scene of a broken down family, which consisted of a alcoholic, weak mother and her prostitue son making ends just barely meet make sense. Playing pretend was all the two had left, and they took their roles seriously. Cause when Yoongi left the cabinet under the sink would open and wouldn’t close the day before Yoongi next came. Their fucked up lives took breaks for only 3hrs a couple of times a year. Maybe that’s why when Yoongi was far away, he pulled out his phone and dialed the first name on his missed calls list.
“I don’ like it when ya keep me waitin darlin” the voice slurred as Jimin picked up the call.
“I was busy. With my mom. I told you. Why’d you call” he replied short and straight.
“Cuss I missd’ ma baby, and wanted ta play” Jimin continued, voice filled with flirtations. Yoongi fought back a smile, and kept his voice emotionless, he was prostitute, that owed Jimin a shit ton, nothing more and nothing less.
“On my way. But I need to talk to you about something. A favor.” Yoongi said, fully aware of the teasing that would follow.
“Anotha one, ya really like usin’ me don’ ya. Guess we'r jus gonna have ta add it ta ya list. What does ma darlin need.” Jimin asked amused. Yoongi sighed, this would probably equal a 2 weeks worth of fucking, but it really didn’t matter, he basically owed Jimin for life. And he wasn’t really complaining about it either.
“I’ll tell you when I see you.” Yoongi replied, “it’s not that big of a deal compared to what I’ve asked of you before”
“At this point it don’ matta darlin, I’m doin errythin for ya. An I don’ mind” Jimin answered with the same amused and flirtatious voice that now somehow seemed reserved for Yoongi. “Can’ wait ta feel ya baby” he added his voice dipping low. Yoongi hid the arousal from his voice as he just hummed back and then proceeded to end the call. He knew was fucked, but hey at least he was also getting fucked.
Kids! I'm back from the supermarket! I brought ice cream!
What's... Eyes crim?
Ice cream, it's like milk. But frozen. And flavored. And delicious.
Yeah, there are many different kinds of flavors, like vanilla and strawberry.
Jesus fucking christ, show some fucking respect. Your boyfriend's mother brings home ice cream for you and all you do is bitch about fucking eggo's. Are you fucking kidding me right now? Just eat a fucking frozen eggo already. Son of a bitch.
HC!!! RFA + V reaction to Mc's fam being a bag of nutcases? Like they're 24/7 being lame and joking around and really inquisitive of MCs BF/GF
So my friend, @n3sh3r0x asked for this hc. SHE’S AMAZING GUYS!! Please follow her!!!
AND I’M SORRY but i really couldn’t imagine all of the families being a bag of nutcases. SO I DECIDED TO WRITE A “RFA+V+ SAERAN REACTING TO MC’S FAMILY”
- Sweet, sweet yoosung was pretty nervous when you told him that you wanted him to meet your family
-I mean…. who wouldn’t ??
-You father worked at this huge pharmaceutical company, you mother was a cardiologist and to top it all off your sister was a lawyer at a big firm.
-Even you scared the living crap outta him when he first met you
-So when he first met your parents, he was shaking. Actually he was shaking for all the right reasons. Let me explain.
-Your father was immaculately dressed in his most expensive suit like show off much?, your mother wore a simple but beautiful gown and your sister??? Let’s just say that she wore a pair of sweatpants just to piss you off.
- Yoosung couldn’t stop laughing at this contrast.
-As your father gracefully gave out his hand for a handshake, he was still laughing cause your sister was sticking her tongue out at you?? And you were being all cute, pinching her and making faces at her?
- Gosh ! Even the intellectuals weren’t any different , were they?
- “GOD DAMMIT! STOP IT GIRLS YOU ALWAYS EMBARRASS ME LIKE THIS!! I just wanted MC’s boyfriend to have a good impression on our family,” your father screamed.
- Your mum giggled, “Pay no mind to them yoosung!! We doctors must stay away from this lot at all times.”
- You mum really liked yoosung as they were both in the medical profession. She was a really chatty person. She blabbered on about how hard it was being a doctor. “I dunno how you did it yoosung,” she said, “I could barely learn how to treat the heart and you’ve learnt about how to treat the entire animal kingdom?” She sighed dramatically.
- “HEY YOOSUNG!! Did you know that MC peed her pants in the sixth grade?” Your sister chimed in. “NO I DIDN’T,” you screamed and the two of you got into a cat fight.
-Your dad sighed and apologized to him, “Welcome to the family, son.”
-Yoosung really did love your unique and wonderful family. And your family loved him more.
Bonus: Your sister kept making passes at yoosung, vowing to steal him away from you when the two of you break up. She was just kidding! Or was she? Yoosung never knew about this.
-Zen was really excited when you told him you wanted him to meet your family
- You used to tell him a lot about your family and he loved to hear about your two moms and you baby sister
- The whole day he was all like, “MC !! Should I wear this?? OR SHould I wear that??? Will you mom like this better.”
- “JUST WEAR SOMETHING, ZEN,” you screamed.
-But it was so cute seeing him all excited.
- When you finally got to your house, he was so excited that he hugged both your mums.
- “Nice to finally meet you,” He beamed, “I’m Zen.”
- “Wow I didn’t know my daughter was hiding such a handsome man,” Your mum giggled. “OH, MC~~” she sang.
- You blushed so hard, it made Zen laugh.
- Your other mum laughed and kissed her on the cheek. “Oh and Zen,” she said, “We have this really BIG fan, just dying to meet you.”
- Your little sister was clinging to your mum’s leg.
- “Come on, sweetie,” you called her out ,”Zen has a little gift for you.”
- But she still wouldn’t budge
- Zen knelt down and took her hands. “Looks like there are two very beautiful princesses in this house,” he smiled. He placed a little crown on her head.
- She gave a tiny little smile. “Lift me !!” she ordered.
- “The shining knight Zen at your service, milady,” he laughed as he picked her up
-He refused to put your little sister down for the whole day. Your lil sis had such radical fun, getting a piggy back ride from Zen.
- Your parents loved Zen!! He was so sweet. He always was so well mannered and complimented them on little things.
-At the end of the day, Zen ended up wanting to create a family like that with you.
Bonus: Zen calls both your mums as ‘mum’ and ‘mama’, the way you call them. They love it. And they were so happy when zen first called them that
-You pure beautiful Jaehee was only second to Yoosung on the nervousness level when she first met your family
- “But MC,” she dragged, “Is your family really ok with this? Me being a….. girl and all.”
- “Hush, my dear,” you kissed her on the nose, “I should be asking you if you’re ok with meeting my crazy family.”
- This reassured her a lot. But she was still nervous about making first impressions.
- Your family was a big one.
-I mean a reaaaaalllly big one. With cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents.
-So when you first got to the door, a flurry of kids surrounded you and Jaehee.
- “OMG it’s MC!”
- “IS that MC’s Girlfriend?”
-” MC AND JAEHEE, come play with us!!”
-The kids were really noisy but Jaehee enjoyed the racket. The kids started introducing themselves and Jaehee was trying to memorize all of their names.
-”Ok!! YOu twerps !! We’ll come back to you later!! We are going to meet the adults so LEAVE MY GIRLFRIEND ALONE,” you grabbed her hand pulled her out.
- “awwww MC you’re such a spoil sport.” You could hear all the groans and sighs.
- Immediately after a group of adults surrounded you two.
- “Is this the Jaehee??? “ your aunt literally screamed.
- She pulled Jaehee closer, took a good and long look at her.
- “Tell me, Jaehee,” she said, “HOW THE HELL DO YOU PUT UP WITH A WHINY CHILD LIKE MC. We still don’t know.”
-All the others nodded in agreement.
- “STOP embarrassing me in front of my Girlfriend,” you stomped your foot.
- All of Jaehee’s nervousness dissipated. And she laughed. “Oh no!” she said and looked at you, “It has always been the other way around.”
-You blushed so hard. What did you do to deserve her?
- Everyone from the teenagers, to the kids , to the adults and the elders took their turns with Jaehee.
- They really loved her. And really couldn’t understand why such a sweet angel like her chose you. You really couldn’t understand that either
-Although she was drained by the end of the day, she was really looking forward to the next trip.
-Jumin was always so curious about your family
- Whenever he asked about your family, you would brush him off saying that you would tell him when you were ready.
-He also never really got why you were working, when he was there to provide for you?
-Although he was really curious, he respected your wishes and never delved into that matter again.
- Then one day you decided it was time he met you family.
- You were actually from another town. You were from a really poor family, with your father dying when you were only 16 years old. Being the eldest, you had to help your mother raise your younger sister and brother.
- Jumin now understood why you had to work.
- “But I can provide for your family, Mc,” he protested.
- But you flat out refused cause you didn’t marry him for the money.
-So you took the weekend off from work to visit your family with Jumin.
- “Jumin, just don’t offer my mother any money,” you tell him, “We are doing very well now! And my mother would refuse cause she’s such a hard worker.”
- Jumin nodded. But you were not sure about what his stubborn ass was actually going to do.
-When you got home, you little sister and brother excitedly hugged you.
- “MC!! YOU’RE HOME,” they shouted.
- “Mc, look!! I got the first place in my class this year,” you little brother beamed.
- Your sister got annoyed. “But MC! I got first place on both my tests and my relay,” you sister stuck her tongue out.
- Your brother was about to retaliate when you mother intervened, “Mc and her boyfriend traveled a long way, kids.Let them rest.”
-They went back sighing. You laughed and hugged your mum.
- “And you must be Jumin,” your mum said breaking the hug.
-Jumin was so fixated at your house. It was so small. But it really was so warm and wonderful.
- “Yes mam. I’m Jumin Han,” he said as he took your mother’s hand, “Pleasure to meet you.”
- You and your mum burst into laughter.
- “You really dont have to be so formal, Mr. Han~~,” you teased.
- The kids tugged at Jumin’s trousers.
-They were really curious about this royal looking stranger
-Jumin was really surprised by the kids. They were so well mannered, smart and hard working just like MC.
-He really loved them a lot. And they liked him too.
-And MC’s mother had so much dignity and integrity. He respected her deeply. And your mother loved Jumin for his honesty and manners. And she knew how much he loved and respected you.
- And the food your mother cooked for him?? Never had he eaten anything so delicious his entire life.
- Just sitting around with your family and eating with them, made him realise that money really wasn’t everything
-After that, he never did complain about you having to go to work. But he insisted on helping out a little.
- He always did send your family little extravagant gifts and souvenirs. And demanded a monthly visit to see you mum and the kids
-He took you guys on a lot of trips. And the kids really enjoyed their time with him.
-Given his past, Seven really wanted a to be a part of a family
- So when you wanted to introduce him to your parents, HE WAS SO EXCITED, OVERJOYED, ELATED *add any synonym of your choice*
-You were from a middle class family
-Nothing special really
-You were the only kid.
- “Ok 7,” you warn him, “No funny business at my home… My dad is really strict.”
- “You betcha,” he sticks his tongue out.
-You sigh…. This was bad……… Really bad
-So when you get home, your father growls, “And what is the name of this boy MC? What does he do?”
- “Dad, this is Se-.. I mean Saeyoung and hes a hac-.. I mean a computer programmer.”
- “Why hello~~ sir,” 7 sang and let out his hand for a handshake.
- You dad looked at him from his head to his toe and sighed.
- “I’ll be at my room if you need me,” he frowned.
- 7 looked a little upset. Your mum sensed this too.
- “Oh don’t mind that grumpy old man, Saeyoung, my dear,” you mum chimed, “I really dont know how I put up with him for so many years.”
-You giggled and held 7′s hand.
- “Don;t take it to heart, hon,” you laughed, “He’s what I call a Tsundere dad.”
- “TSUNDERE DAD??” he screamed. WTH MC
- “The more he likes a person, the ruder he is to them,” your mum explained.
- Saeyoung couldn’t stop laughing, “I’m starting to like your dad.”
-So 7 like usual, kept making his lousy jokes. You couldn’t help but roll your eyes while your mother laughed.
-Your dad crept in. “OH, You all are making a lot of noise. KEEP IT DOWN,” he said as he sat across you guys with a newspaper.
-You all could not help but chuckle. Oh, the things your dad did just to spend time with you, without actually admitting it.
- “So saeyoung,” your dad started, “How much is it that you earn.”
- 7 sat up straight. “See Sir, it actually depends…..”
- “He earns a lot, dad,” you cut in, “Have you seen his car?” You showed him a picture of his car.
-You dad was impressed and interested but he wouldnt admit it.
- “It’s a decent car,” he frowned
- The three of you were internally screaming.
- All throughout the evening 7 made small talk with your dad. He followed him everywhere. Your dad actually showed him his precious stamp collection and LET HIM TOUCH IT.
- Saeyoung started called your mother as mum. AND YOUR MUM LOVED IT
- “Don;t call her that,” you father growled.
- “But DAD~~~” 7 sang
- “DONT CALL ME THAT,” he shouted. But he was very happy, internally. Tsundere dad strikes again
-He really had taken a liking towards your dad.
- You dad called him annoying a lot but deep inside… lets face it! He loved Saeyoung a lot.
- When it was time to leave, your dad gave you a peck on you cheek as he said , “Saeyoung is good guy, mc. I like him.”
- You werent gonna tell saeyoung this but you had a feeling he already knew.
- Saeyoung sometimes liked to visit your parents alone and spend time with them
ps…… If you;ve seen Saiki Kusuo then you’ll know about the tsundere grandpa…. that episode literally changed my life
- “V!” you proclaimed one day, “I want you to meet my family.”
- V was surprisingly very cool about this, “Ok mc” he said as he kissed you on the forehead.
-The only family you had left was your two brothers. They practically raised you. Everything they ever did was for you. You didn’t have one complaint in your life. One brother was a professional wrestler and the other worked for the government.
- The two of your brothers were dying to meet V. They planned on how they were going to freak MC’s boyfriend out cause they were both so muscular and buff. And not to mention tall. They were both wrestlers in high school and had so many medals, that you learnt how to count with them
-So anyways, they were really planning to freak your boyfriend out.
-They wanted to make sure that your boyfriend was man enough. You were their precious baby sister after all.
- Well, jokes on them…. V was blind.
- There was no way V was gonna be intimidated my their looks.
- Their jaws fell to the floor when they saw V
- “Mc… is he….”
- “Yes, Im blind,” V interjected, “ But I can see a little with one eye”
- They regained their composure. But they still had to make sure that he would treat their precious little sister well
- “Well Jihyun,” you brother firmly held V’s shoulder, “If you ever do something to our sister then God help you.”
-You were angered my your brothers’ rude behavior towards V. Before you could protest, V said calmly, “Sir, I wouldnt hurt a hair on her head. She is the love of my life.”
- Commence Jaw Drop
-You blushed hard….. as did your brothers. The line was delivered so cooly and calmly.
-”V~~” you hit his hand playfully.
- Your brothers laughed.
- “I’ve been married for 5 years and never once have I said such a thing to my wife. We should learn a lot from you V”
- You brothers loved him. They were so boisterous and playful… so unlike V. They considered V as a part of their gang
-V loved it! He had so much fun with your brothers. All three of them got drunk in the end and you were left to take a drunken V home
- “CURSE YOU, YOU TWO DEVILS AND DONT TOUCH MY BOYFRIEND AGAIN”
- Your parents died when you were really young
-You were raised by your grandparents.
-So when you asked Saeran if he wanted to meet your wonderful grandparents, saeran wasnt exactly excited. But he knew how much they meant to you so he decided to accompany you
-The minute you entered the house, there was the lovely smell of freshly baked goods.
-Your grandma and grandpa were so excited to see you.
-They were standing outside for nearly an hour just to see you.
-You were so happy to see them. Saeran saw immediately how your expression changed. Could you get any cuter?chandler voice
-You hugged them both and kissed them
-Your grandparents were equally excited to see saeran.
- They huddled around him.
- “MC told me that you really like ice cream, saeran,” your Grandma said, “So I made a lil cake to go along with it.”
- “Oh and dont forget about the sweater we got him dear,” your grandpa added.
- As you helped your grandma out in the kitchen, saeran and your grandpa took to talking
- You grandpa told him stories about the army. Saeran seemed very interested and excited.
-You could see them talking about random things under the sun
-He absolutely adored the food your grandma made and even wore the sweater they got for him
-He really enjoyed his time with your grandparents.
-He ended up wishing he could stay there more.
- When you went to sleep, your grandpa and saeran talked throughout the night.
-”Saeran…. in case something happens to me… the mc and her grandma…”
- “Nothing will happen to you and if it does… I’m always here for them. MC means the world to me”
Ella, I love you and I hope you like what I wrote for you. It’s been a pleasure getting to know you since joining this fandom. You were the first friend I made the nygmob fandom and I will always cherish that. Thank you for being a part of my life and allowing me to be a part of yours. I hope you have an amazing birthday and, even though this fic is heavy on the angst, I still hope it brings a smile to your face.
“Momma’s gonna make it all better,” Fish Mooney speaks, caressing her gloved hand gently over the pale freckled cheek of Oswald Cobblepot.
They stand in an abandoned warehouse, surrounded by several of their goons. Some of them from the Penguin’s growing army of Indian Hill freaks.
“I’ve asked you to stop doing that,” Oswald complains, jumping slightly in Mrs. Mooney’s face with his hands closed tightly into fists.
“Well, a mother can’t help it when her boy’s been scorned.” She brushes her hand across his face again. “She needs to make sure that the world can’t hurt him.”
Oswald strikes her hand away. “You’re not my mother!”
“Boy!” She grinds her teeth and steps even closer, pointing in Oswald’s face. “You get that one for free,” she snarls, slowly stepping back to put space between them. If he insults her gratitude once more, she’ll make sure he’ll leave with a double limp. She doesn’t want to hurt him, this isn’t the reason why they’ve gathered in this building, but she will if he isn’t more respectful. “And I am your mother,” she fiercely adds. “I’m the one that made you what you are—” she crosses her arms, shifting her weight to the left— “and you’re the one that came to me for help like a good son would.”
Oswald fumes, breathing heavily through flared nostrils. He hates to admit that she’s unquestionably right and can’t bring himself to quarrel with the truth.
“Now, let me help you like you asked.” She shifts to the tall, bald, dark-skinned man clad in black leather standing to the right of her. “Bring him in,” she orders with a snap of her fingers.
Oswald winced, eyes broadening. “You got him?”, he asked, slightly alarmed. He almost didn’t think things would go according to the plan. He almost didn’t think Fish had the intelligence to outsmart the man that now calls himself the Riddler.
“As if it would be difficult?”, she directly responds, throwing her head back with a guffaw. “Baby, you’ve still got a lot to learn.” She circled her eyes in a nonchalant manner. “You should let me teach you.”
Summary: You are a future Head of your family which is very influential in the Magical World. A day arrives when your mother decides that it’s time for you to meet people with whom you will have to work in the future. One of those people is Percival Graves.
Disclaimer: All characters are at least 21 y/o unless stated otherwise.
How would UT,US,SF skele-bros react to their s/o who mother language isn't English ( like Chinese or any other ), often say mother language when they very very excited or angry? Would they try to learn?
Classic finds it hilarious! Not that he’s mocking your language, but it’s fascinating to switch from English to another in a snap. He probably won’t try to learn your language though, but he can pick up bits and pieces. Especially the cussing. He loves the cussing.
Paps kinda gets scared when when you’re angry and yell at him in your mother language, so please don’t. It’s intimidating. He does try to learn though! The learning process is slow and he’ll never be fluent, but he can hold a basic conversation. But on your wedding day, he’ll surprise you by saying his vows perfectly in your mother language after hours and hours of practice. (don’t look at me I’m JTV trash)
Dude, he wants to learn how to speak your language! He must keep up with you when you’re excited or angry, he’s at a disadvantage if he doesn’t understand. Like Papaya, it takes him a while to learn, mostly because of his ADHD, it’s hard to keep him still and you have to find unconventional ways to teach him.
When you start talking in your first language, Stretch just blinks slowly, and says “k babe”. Even if you’re angry, he’s not even going to try to understand, he’s just going to wait til you calm down and talk in English again. It’s not that he doesn’t respect your mother language, but he just can’t learn languages and doesn’t really try.
Before he even met you, Black most likely already knows your language. He’s pretty good with learning them and can pick them up easily, plus, once he got to the surface, he devoted his time studying all the different languages in the world. So when you get angry or excited, he just easily converses right back to you.
Rus finds it amusing like Classic, and he encourages you to keep talking, even if he doesn’t understand. Your language is a part of you and how you grew up, so he loves listening to you. He doesn’t pick up languages as well as his brother, but he could understand small and simple phrases.