This series was created by the same people behind “Parks and Recreation” and it would be such a shame to see it go unnoticed, so let me try to perk your interest.
1) The main character is a man of color who is an award winning journalist.
2) It’s very rare for shows to have women of various ages, sizes and skin colors who are all seen as beautiful and desirable at some point, not just because of their bodies but their personalities and skills too.
3) The most masculine man in the show is a farmer who is gentle, caring and gay, so a classic bear.
4) The priest is a Latino man who is really into funk music.
5) It’s both funny, delightfully creepy at times, and emotional but non of the emotional moments are forced or take up too much time.
6) All the characters (aliens included) are complex and interesting with real flaws.
7) The aliens have a different concept of sexuality and doesn’t understand gay or straight. Some think interspecies is taboo though.
8) Two male aliens are in love.
9) The show has such good characters it actually manages to make you like the rich white guy who wears a V-neck and insist on eating a paleo diet.
10) If you love modern alien lore or want to know more about it, this is the show. It gets everything right.
11) Things make sense. You’ll think the show is just being weird a first, but as the plot unfolds you’’ll realize why characters behaved the way they did in the first episodes.
So please give this show a try. You can watch it on TBS’s site, and if you live outside the US just google “People of Earth streaming” and you’ll find it. (I know I know, but what are us poor non-Americans supposed to do)