For people wondering how to take action post-election of a racist demagogue (pulled from Twitter and cleaned up):
Make a spreadsheet or a file for your representatives with names, addresses to their offices, phone numbers, and contact forms. Put everyone there. Make a note in your calendar app to check in on issues once a month.
Pay attention to news. If you get angry, upset, or worried, seek support from friends but ALSO shoot these reps an email, too. Be courteous but firm and blunt. It’s a numbers game. Often we remain invisible because we don’t go to events and rallies and can’t be physically present. But we can attach our names to emails, we can write letters, we can be vocal. We don’t have to be invisible.
You can do this with your national reps, state reps, and local reps. If someone reps you anywhere, note them. Open a line and revisit it. It’s hard work and slow. One email at a time. One letter at a time. One call at a time. Emails are easy these days, so splurge every few months on a stamp and send a letter if you can. Put your humanity in front of these people. Flout it. Some won’t care, but others will. Change ONE mind and results can cascade.
Rural areas are bubbles full of bigotry and now it’s newly revealed. But we white people who live here have the clout and power! We can speak up when our reps say terrible things, and do terrible things, and vote terrible ways. We can go “I am disappointed in you.” It’s work, but as we’ve seen the last six months, it’s time for us to do that work. If someone goes “who are your reps” you gotta know. If you don’t know and you’re mad about this election, it’s time to create that file and keep it with you and use it.
The time for social media rants only is over. Or, do those, but maybe pull those threads out into a paragraph and send them to your reps. And don’t ONLY email or contact when things go badly. Also reach out when things go right. Even if they voted AGAINST something. Treat them like you would want to be treated if you were wrong or mistaken. But we’ve gotta reach out and let them know we’re here.
Anyway, I know this is hard work. If you need help collecting your reps, give me a ping via DM and I’ll help you get started.
Texas adoption agencies could ban Jews, gays, MuslimsTexas adoption agencies could ban Jews, gays, Muslims
got this off the wire so it’s real.
Not really for this tumblr but jesus what is WRONG with the United States? I grew up believing that the US was the place to be, they had more freedoms than we did, were more progressive and prosperous than us. As I get older it become more and more clear that the states is closer to a dictatorship than democracy when it comes to the political scale. .
Sat 1:24 pmSat 12:53 pmSat 10:39 amSat 10:21 amSat 9:55 am Meredith Hoffman, The Associated Press
Texas adoption agencies could ban Jews, gays, Muslims
AUSTIN, Texas — Parents seeking to adopt children in Texas could soon be rejected by state-funded or private agencies with religious objections to them being Jewish, Muslim, gay, single, or interfaith couples, under a proposal in the Republican-controlled Legislature.
Five other states have passed similar laws protecting faith-based adoption organizations that refuse to place children with gay parents or other households on religious grounds — but Texas’ rule would extend to state-funded agencies. Only South Dakota’s is similarly sweepingly.
The bill had been scheduled for debate and approval Saturday in the state House, but lawmakers bogged down with other matters. It now is expected to come up next week.
Which conservatives were on the Alexandria shooter's ' kill list'? Here are some names.
Photo credit: Facebook, James Hodgkinson
Liberalism has a domestic terrorism problem.
That became evident yet again last week when a “Resistance fighter” attempted to assassinate 16 Republican Members of Congress, who were practicing for a charity baseball game.
FBI agents found a “kill list” with the shooter, in which he wrote down the names of conservative lawmakers he planned to assassinate.
It reads like a MSNBC fantasy.
Fox News and The Daily Caller confirm the list included Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks, South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan, Arizona Rep. Trent Franks, Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, Tennessee Rep. Scott DesJarlais and Virginia Rep. Morgan Griffith are also on the list. There are others on the list who have not been revealed.
All named targets are members of the House Freedom Caucus, a coalition of the chamber’s most conservative Members.
Many of them were also among the 14 congressmen and two senators whom the killer fired upon.
Along with his named targets Brooks and Duncan, others on the field when the shooter opened fire included Rep. Mike Bishop, R-Mich.; Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla.; Rep. Roger Williams, R-Texas; Rep. Mark Walker, R-N.C.; Rep. Brad Wenstrup, R-Ohio; Rep. Rodney Davis, R-Ill.; Rep. Mike Conaway, R-Texas; Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas; Rep. Trent Kelly, R-Miss.; Rep. Chuck Fleischmann, R-Tenn.; Rep. Jack Bergman, R-Mich.; Rep. Barry Loudermilk, R-Ga.; Sen. Rand Paul, R-KY and Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.
Is it time for the FBI to begin monitoring the anti-Trump “Resistance” as a domestic terrorism threat?
Lemme tell you a thing my friend and I texted each other about last night because I was watching the swim matches
- So everyone but Reyna, Frank, Calypso, and Nico rep team USA. Reyna reps PR, Frank Canada, Calypso Greece, and Nico Italy
- Obvs Percy is swim. Her like one of the best (definitely freaked when he first joined the team and got to train with Micheal Phelps
- Hazel does equestrian aka horse riding. Frank fucking DOMINATES archery, like no contest. Reyna switches every Olympics between taekwando and fencing, not that anyone’s complaining. Piper slays at gymnastics and Annabeth used to do beach volleyball with Selena before she retired and this year she’s teaming up with Rachel Elizabeth Dare
- Percy freaks when he finds out, like this is awkward and he goes to Jason to talk about it. Jason, unhelpful as ever is like talk to piper and she just laughs
- Speaking of Jason, until this year he totally only want to cheer Piper on. But now he has embraced his inner white dad to do golf now that it’s back
-Actual conversation on the plane.
Jason: Pipes Flaherty is announcing golf
Piper: Thats cool babe. Did you know the opening. ceremony-
Jason: BUT BABE. FLAHERTY
- Nico is hella doing boxing. Leo brings in gold for BMX cycling and his badass gf is a champ diver
- Everyone asking Frank and Hazel how they deal with their SO being on different teams and they’re like “just as long as they stay safe I’m good” (and for those of you who don’t know equestrian can be hard because horse bucks or freaks out and boom rider in danger)
- Percy and Annabeth on the other hand are so sarcastic with their teasing. Like “no gold you’re sleeping on the couch”
- Leo meets Calypso on the plane when they’re stuck sitting next to each other and hating each other at first but falling in love in Rio
- Nico meets Will (an on site medic) when he breaks his nose in a match and Will being like you’re seeing me before every match you have if you win this one and that’s how they fall in love
- And everyone gets together to see Annabeth and Rachel win gold and after they do Annabeth gets a little sick and Will (everyone’s fav on site medic) checks her over and is liek, honey you’re pregnant
- Percy freaking out when she tells him because holy shit we were gonna do the next ones and training and going with a little kid is gonna be so stressful while everyone else laughs at him
- Just imagine Percy sitting with their little girl on the beach as Annabeth trains with Rachel
- Leo and Calypso babysitting the little girl during opening ceremonies because they can’t march because they compete the next day. Leo giving her all the junk food and Calypso singing her a Greek lullaby
- This little girl growing up with her brothers (twins who were born when she was three) growing up and the boys teaming up for beach volleyball while she does diving
Rep. Frank Artiles. is a Miami Republican in the Florida legislature who thinks that using a restroom is a choice — especially if you’re
transgender. That’s why he feels no compunction about his introduction
of the Single-Sex Public Facilities Act,
a law which would make it a crime for transgender people to use
single-sex public bathrooms that correspond with their gender
identity in restaurants, workplaces and schools. “Violators” face a
$1,000 fine and up to a year in jail.
In 1926 the great illusionist conjured up one of the most entertaining congressional hearings in history. Testifying on a bill making it a crime to be a fraudulent fortune teller in the nation’s capital, Houdini castigated the mediums and vociferously defended their victims. Calling witnesses (including his wife!), producing a “sucker list” and other evidence, accusing audience members of fraud, Houdini enthralled some of members of the House Committee on the District of Columbia, such as Rep. Frank R. Reid of Illinois who kept asking the chairman for more time for Houdini to speak. Others he seemed to have angered or confused. Nevertheless, the bill did not pass.
Hearing Testimony from From Harry Houdini on HR 8989, a Bill to Impose a Fine on Fraudulent Fortune Tellers in the District of Columbia (HR 69A-D7), 3/20/1926, Records of the U.S. House of Representatives
On the first day of the 114th Congress, the newly ascendant Republican anti-abortion zealots in control of the House and Senate didn’t waste any time proposing draconian new restrictions on women’s rights.
ThinkProgress reports that Reps. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) and Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) already reintroduced the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act on Tuesday. The proposed bill would ban abortions after 20 weeks, in contradiction with the rights afforded women by the 1973 Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade.
No, actually, I think it’s Franks that has read and doesn’t understand the bible. Remember the story of the sheep and the goats Rep. Franks - if you do NOT do it unto the least of these you have not done it unto me now depart from me, you evil doers and hypocrites! Remember this story? Ringing any bells?