Skyscrapers under construction on the Avenue of the Americas area, north of Rockefeller Center in Fall of 1962. View looking southeast from Park Sheraton Hotel. Buildings under construction are the New York Hilton Hotel (William B. Tabler-Harrison & Abramovitz, 1963) at left; and the 45-story Sperry Rand Building (Emery Roth & Sons, 1963). The 42-story Equitable Life Assurance Building (Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, 1961) are at right. Above it is the top of 70-story Rockefeller Center’s R.C.A. Building (Associated Architects, 1933).
Photo: Andreas Feininger.
Source: Andreas Feininger, Kate Simon. “New York” (New York, Viking Press, 1964).
The day of President Donald Trump’s inauguration wasn’t just the beginning of an unprecedented presidency. It was the launch of one of the most sustained protest movements in American history.
Over the past 100 days, immigrant communities showed the force of their protest, anti-fascists have lashed out violently at the rising tide of white supremacy and anti-war coalitions long dead have come to life with renewed interest and energy.
Here is a concise look back at some of the most significant marches, disruptions and protests that pushed back against Trump’s agenda at every opportunity.Read more. (4/29/17, 10:55AM)
the more i look at the numbers, the more i am baffled …
as wonderful as the get down was, it cost $12 million an episode, and currently lies at #183 on imdb’s popularity scale (last week, #311). 16k people have rated it a solid 8.4. unfortunately, it got cancelled.
13 reasons why (are we even having to discuss this show), cost unkown, currently lies at #8 on the same scale (#1 last week). 97k people have given it an 8.6. it has been renewed.
riverdale, also cost unknown, currently lies at #7 on the same scale (#11 last week). only 23k people gave it a 7.9 rating and somehow, it got renewed (sources mainly point this towards the ending of pll and teen wolf among other things).
a series of unfortunate events? #238 this week, and #277 last week (cost unknown). only 25k people gave it an 8.0. guess what? not only did it get renewed for a second season, but it’s getting a third one too!
sense8, which cost $4.5 million an episode in s1 and $9 million an episode in s2, currently lies at #18 - last week, it was #10 (higher than riverdale and asoue). 88k people have given the show an 8.4. and somehow, it got cancelled?!
i completely understand that the show was sure to cost considerably more than what did get renewed, but i’m sharing some of these facts because i simply assumed people weren’t watching sense8 as much as they should have, like what happened with the get down - but nope. as expensive as it was, the show was massively popular.
All of NU'EST's music videos because y'all need to support them right now
• Face (debut song about facing down a tough opponent, more specifically the bullies versus the bullied in school, bonus if u watch the mv u see predebut baby seventeen!!! seungcheol why are u such a bully)
• Action (about not conforming to the crowds, standing up by yourself, acknowledging the pain of bullying victims and encouraging them to be themselves and show everyone how amazing they are, more electro (?) than Face)
• Not Over You (missing an ex, still wanting to be with them, surprisingly upbeat if you consider the topic which is usually covered in ballads. very refreshing CUTE MV SO CUTE I LOVE HAPPY NU’EST WHAT A CONCEPT)
• Sandy (innocent young love, very sweet and happy, great song to listen to if you want to cheer up, also MORE CUTE NU’EST THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD TIME THEY LOVE THEIR FANS SO MUCH)
• Hello (struggling in a one sided relationship, very sweet and soothing melody, their voices are like honey in your ears, RAP MONSTER EVEN SAID THIS WAS ONE OF HIS TOP FAVORITE SONGS STOP SLEEPING ON NU'EST)
• Sleep Talking (a really trippy song, very unique but addictive beat, about wanting to confess to their dream girl, the mv always makes me laugh)
• Fine Girl (funky pop song about how much they like their girl and how they want to show their feelings, THE MV IS SO CUTE WATCH IT NOW I’M SO MUCH NU’EST)
• Good Bye Bye (leaving a painful love, this song is less electro and more of a smooth and slower tempo pop sound, if you watch the mv you can see a shirtless Minki I’m jUST SAYING)
• I’m Bad (regret from breaking up with a lover, reminiscing and wanting them back, saying they’re bad for leaving their love and that they aren’t good enough, slow but catchy, makes me think of walking down the street alone but during a sunny day you know? it just has that kind of vibe considering the beat and flow of their voices idk)
• Overcome (overcoming the struggles and troubles that come their way for their love, telling their lover to rely on them and that they’ll protect them)
• Love Paint (Every Afternoon) (about their dull and boring life being renewed and brightened by their love, seeing the beauty in their love and life, very sweet song pls be aware that u might get a cavity from it)
• Daybreak (by Minhyun & Jonghyun, I’m not even gonna spoil this one u have to go and listen to it for urself)
of course, NU'EST has many more songs than this! these are just their Korean music videos, they also have the other songs off their albums, so please take the time to show them love and support for their hard work!!!
Hello, my loves! I know it’s relatively early, but I wanted to make a post about this in advance for those who need some help / inspiration with the upcoming holiday. :-) Beltane, also known as “May Day,” is at the very beginning of May, and its purpose is to continue the celebration of Spring and fertility. We bow to the abundance of the fertile Earth, and become aware of Her opening up to the fertility God. Their union gives life to healthy and strong livestock/crops and new life in general. This is inspiring to many witches and magick workers who wish to bring change into their own lives, as well as show a passionate appreciation for life itself.
- If you’re on a bit of a schedule, there are simple things you can do to show your thanks for the planet we live on and the gift of life. Much like with Ostara, just try your best to thank nature - take a short walk, notice how green everything is, eat some fresh vegetables, and take deep breaths of morning air. 🌸
- Create a Beltane altar! Include lots of green items, inspired by the lushness of the growing grass and the leaves on the trees. Also include pastels to honor Spring, such as yellows, blues, and pinks. Incorporate these lively colors into the objects in your altar - think ribbons, decorated sticks, flowers, candles, cloths, succulents, baskets, grass, chalices and statues. Add some symbolism to represent the strong male energy of the God, which is especially potent at this time. Think sticks, acorns, seeds, antlers - and try your hand at creating your own mini Maypole! 🌿
- If you have the environment / time to do so, gather a group of friends and have a bonfire (or even just a fire in your fireplace, if you have one)! Beltane is one out of the four fire festivals in current Pagan traditions, so its presence during this time is especially welcome. Can’t have a bonfire? Light some green candles and meditate near them, perhaps while writing a list of things you wish to renew in your life. 🔥
- Eat!!! Try and incorporate milk, honey, and/or oats into your meals during this time, as well as fruits - peaches, mango, pomegranates, and cherries. 🍒🍯🥛🍑
Early Voltage Fandom Dashboard:
- ask-the-chef askblog
- about 10 whole posts in the pirates in love tag
- a whole lot of screenshots about Prince Joshua’s famous “you can only say yes or yes” scene
- my sweet bodyguard GREE
- actually any GREE game
- posts about waiting MONTHS for the next story to come out
- the 15/30 days of voltage challenge
- everyone freaking out over the new GUI in my sweet bodyguard
- add some more because I’m sure there are more but 2012 is a blur
me: idk free! was ok i g– kyoani: btw more free! me, with tears streaming down my face and a renewed vigor for life, tearing off my jacket to reveal an iwatobi sc jacket underneath, and then ripping the zipper of that jacket open to reveal a makoharu shirt underneath that: HYE FUTURE FIS hHWAKE WAKE WAKE WAKE UP
The Easter Bunny is of German origin. He shows up in 16th century literature as a deliverer of eggs, in his own way a springtime St. Nicholas bent on rewarding the good.
In Celtic mythology and folklore the hare has links to the mysterious Otherworld of the supernatural.
The Celts believed that the goddess Eostre’s favourite animal and attendant spirit was the hare.
Many Buddhist and Hindu texts describe the hare as a creature of fire, but not just any fire, the same consuming sacrificial fire of the phoenix, then to rise again out of the ashes.
To the Romans, the hare is an emblem of fertility, abundance, sexuality, lust, rampant growth and excess.
Eggs have forever been associated with spring time. Ancient Egyptians, Persians, Romans, Gauls, and Chinese all embraced the egg as a symbol of the universe.
Druids buried eggs dyed red, the color of menstrual blood, in freshly plowed fields to draw the goddess of spring from her slumber and to ensure abundance and fertility for the year.
In Egypt and Persia eggs were decorated at the beginning of the year. The decorated eggs were exchanged at the equinox, the eggs symbolizing creation and fertility.
Early humans thought the return of the sun from winter darkness was an annual miracle, and saw the egg as a natural wonder and proof of the renewal of life.
As Christianity spread, the egg was adopted as a symbol of Christ’s resurrection from the tomb.
Hardboiled eggs were dyed red in memory of Christ’s blood, then given to children as a talisman to preserve their health over the ensuing twelve months.
Pace eggs are kept year-round in British households for luck.
The protective qualities of the scarlet-dyed egg are still invoked in parts of Europe to guard fields and vineyards from lightning and hail, one is usually buried on the property for that purpose
According to European superstition, once an egg is consumed, its shell must be broken up lest a witch use it to gain power over the person who ate from it. A witch might also make a boat from an intact shell, then set sail in it and wreck ships at sea. Discarded eggshells should never be burned because doing so will cause the hens to cease to lay.
Anglo-Saxons worshiped Eostre, the moon Goddess of spring and fertility.
The Druids worshiped Blodeuwedd, the Goddess of fertility, magick, and dawn.
In Roman mythology, Flora is the goddess of flowers and of the season of spring.
The Ancient Greek goddess Persephone is associated with spring.
The celtic Goddess Brigit is honored at the festival of Imbolc which celebrates the first stirrings of Spring.
Freya is the Nordic fertility Goddess associated with spring growth and flowers.
Clover and other three-leaved plants were once considered spring gifts from the fairies to protect us and bring us luck.
Easter Lilies symbolize purity and spring time.
Other Wives tales
An old wives tale says a wind that blows on Easter Day will continue to blow throughout the year, and that a shower of rain promises a good crop of grass but little hay.
Children born on Easter Day are deemed especially fortunate. Those born on Good Friday, however, are doomed to be unlucky.
This seemed like the perfect time to share a new type of craft (of both the witch and arts varieties) that I’ve been trying out- Witch Eggs!
The term “witch egg” usually refers to a tiny, weird little egg laid by a chicken in response to some kind of grit or something getting into their system. In this case, though, I’m adopting it to refer for these little guys, although “spell egg” would work, too.
Eggs represent renewal, fertility, and new life, so making witch eggs is a great way to help bring new things into your own life! You can make them any time of the year, but spring is especially appropriate.
What you’ll need-
-Some sculpy or air-dry clay
-Herbs, spices, and salts associated with the magical intent of your witch egg
(I made general purpose ones with black salt, pink salt, rosemary, lavender, and bits of bay leaves to start with)
-Paint brushes and paint in colors associated with your magical intent
How to make them-
1. Bundle your herbs and salts up in the tinfoil and form the clay into an egg shape around it.
2. Bake the clay or let it harden
3. Paint the egg with colors and/or sigils of your choosing.
4. Magically charge, enchant, and/or cleanse the egg in the method of your choosing
Spoonie Witch Alternative- Get some of those hollow plastic Easter eggs that snap open and stuff them with packets full of herbs, sigils, gems, dried flowers, or whatever works for you! You could decorate them with paint or markers, or leave them plain.
Once you have your egg, you could make a nest for it on your altar or anywhere else in your house that you’d like to imbue with its energy, or carry it with you and “incubate” it by holding it occasionally and meditating on your desire. They’d also make great little gifts for loved ones.
(I’m gonna share some better pictures once my first batch of eggs is done, this one is technically a work in progress. They can be WAY prettier than this, I promise)