It’s incredible how time flies! It’s been six months since I started sharing my monthly reads!
To clebrate the ocasion, I’ve compiled a list of fics that have left their mark on me as a fan girl, or as a reader. Some of these are old classics. Take a look, you might find a new favorite among them.
A/U Hunger Games, looking at how different things would have turned out if there were two volunteers from District 12 for the 74th Hunger Games, rather than just one. Mature themes, adult situations, strong language, and eventual Everlark.
This wonderful AU shows a side of Peeta I love. He’s strong, determined and incredibly flawed, which makes him incredibly human. One of my favorite victor!Peeta stories out there, and a definite source of inspiration for One Victor.
The thing is, Stiles doesn’t quite know how to approach the topic.
He and Derek have been married for almost two years now, after having been in a relationship for five, and they’re finally in a good place to start discussing the whole kids thing. Stiles isn’t stupid. He knows Derek has always been on edge when it came to starting a family after what happened to his own. It had practically taken Stiles a full year to convince Derek that he deserved a chance at happiness before Derek had finally agreed to go on a date with him. It had taken another full year for Derek to get it through his thick-but-admittedly-pretty skull that Stiles was in it for real—
(“For realsies,” Derek had repeated flatly. Stiles gave him a dazzling smile, all the while sliding his arms around Derek’s waist and pecking him just under his jaw.
Thoughts I Had Watching Fantastic Beasts (SPOILERS duh)
- THERE’S THE LOGO I’M SCREAMING
- THAT’S HEDWIG’S THEME NO I CRY
- ooo pretty house
- whoops just kidding grindelwald just killed like five wizards with one spell
- DRAMATIC NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS MONTAGE
- wait for it
- waittttt forrrr ittttttt
- THERE HE IS IN ALL HIS AWKWARD GLORY, MR. NEWT SCAMANDER
- everyone is so boring and drab and then there’s little Newton, acting SO casual in his bright ass vest and coat and whispering to his case while smiling like what a smol bean
- I love how when newt talks to any human being that he hasn’t made acquaintances with yet he just gets this, “i just set my soul on fire” look in his eyes
- graves and grindelwald have the same haircut… is that gonna be important? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
- shit that force just ruined the street. do you know how fucking long it could have taken them to build that street. what an inconsiderate murderous force
- newt is so in awe of the “burn the witches” cult meeting im so dead
- tina is like, “bitch let me eat my fucking hot dog in peace why everyone touching me”
- credence is sketchy AS FUCK, but he’s ezra miller, so new aesthetic
- little jacob just casually picks up glittery and sketchy ass egg and puts it in pocket
- “what do you have for collateral?” *dramatically gestures to case full of baked goods* LITERALLY ME TOO JACOB
- “Mr. English Guy” just decides to fricking magic this no-maj jacob down this fucking open ass hallway where people could TOTALLY see you, and then apparates him down to the vaults for added measure, and allows him to watch an occamy hatching, like what the hell newt, do you even understand what the word law means.
- “get off my money you fluffy haired green bean, a diamond is a niffler’s best friend you bitch”
- i love how newt is so unknowing of a human beings common sense and thinks a no-maj like jacob is gonna wait to have something done to him that newt promises, “won’t hurt a bit” like newt you dumb ass, of course you just got smacked with a case in a back alley
- tina pulling out her badge like, “burt macklin, FBI”
- ooooooo tina got yelled at by the president
- oooooooo the paper mice just had a bitch fight
- OH SHIT THE CASES GOT SWITCHED oh wait i already knew that was gonna happen… BUT IT”S STILL EXCITING
- WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT PINK ASS NOODLE SHIT THAT JUST BIT JACOB
- newt looks so uncomfortable when he says “flames out of his anus” but if that was me i wouldve been like, “he would be sharting out fire”
- i want someone to look at me like jacob looks at queenie
- all this lovey dovey shit happening at the sides of the dinner table, and then on the ends, tina and newt are just dead eying each other like they’re silently whispering, “i don’t like you, you fucked up my illegal creature smuggle, and my perfectly good hot dog enjoyment”
- jacobs little scream when newt goes in the case cry if you agree
- “What’s this” from nightmare before christmas starts to play as jacob and newt break into dramatic ballet routine
- FRANK. THE BAD ASS THUNDERBIRD IS NAMED FRANK. WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED NEWT NAMED HIM FRANK.
- wasn’t this where there was supposed to be a shirtless scene……..
- “the wilds of arizona” hahahahahahahahaha wut
- HEY A GRINDELOW
- WhAt ThE fUcK iS iN tHaT fLoAtInG dEaTh BuBbLe
- i want to touch the floating death bubble
- “but we made them cocoa” awwww queenie
- niffler be like, “MANNEQUIN CHALLENGE”
- newt’s little, “wtf you dumb dumb I can clearly fucking see you” face is MY LIFE
- that senator should not have called Credence a freak, cuz like I love Credence, he needs some chocolate and therapy
- new new aesthetic: newt’s mating dance and ass shake
- jacob is like I can’t do this shit why the fuck is this horny ass thing making my hiding tree explode
- tina why tHe FuCk
- hey the ass hole senator
- OH SHIT HE’S DEAD OH FUCK
- tina, no no no no no…….damn it
-jacob comes zooming out of this case all like “hahaha newt and I are besties…. oh shit im not supposed to be here”
- NEWT IS BEING DRAGGED TO A JAIL CELL AND ALL HIS CINNAMON ROLL ASS CAN THINK TO SCREAM AT THE TOP OF HIS FUCKING LUNGS IS, “don’t hurt my creatures!!!!!!1!!!1!!!!!!” I CRY
- damn obscurials are no fucking joke SO WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A WIZARDING PUBLISHING COMPANY NAMED AFTER THEM
- AMERICAN WIZARDS HAVE A DEATH SENTENCE, I REPEAT, AMERICAN WIZARDS HAVE A SCARY ASS WEIRD METALLIC FIRE POOL DEATH SENTENCE
- queenie such a bamf she like, “imma use my femininity to trick this stupid head into letting me smuggle out my sister and these two rapscallions”
- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT KINDA NAME IS NARLAK *slowly realizes that the name shouldn’t be that funny, and it isn’t even the weirdest one in the wizarding world* *proceeds to shut up*
- wHy ThE hElL aRe NaRlAk’S fInGeRs LiKe ThAt LiKe ShIt Da FuCk WrOnG wIt ChU
- when you realize that newt has openly cried like two times and try not to see his heart break when he gives little Pickett away and you thank JK Rowling for making a hufflepuff hero that doesn’t give A SHIT about gender stereotypes and what other people define as “masculinity”
- haha fucker Pickett’s back
- snake bird goes into tea pot, demiguise escapes again because WE NEVER SAW NEWT PUT IT BACK BUT THEN IT’S MAGICALLY THERE DA FUCK
- “she’s a taker, you need a giver” says queenie while dancing around her sister and throwing glitter into the air as a “PICK TINA” sign drops from the sky
- thunderbird is like “FUCK THIS SHIT IM OUT, NO THANKS”
- OH SHIT CREDENCE IS THE OBSCURUS I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING BUT I TOTALLY FUCKING DIDN’T
- Credence wrecks buildings
- Credence wrecks subway
- Graves is a dickweed
- Newt is a cinnamon roll
- Tina is a bamf
- SHIT NO YOU AURORS DONT YOU DARE
- what did i fucking say do you have no ears
- did graves just take on like fifty people by himself thats hella sketch
- swooping evil can apparently make handcuffs
- andddddd I was right to be sketched out by graves suddenly being able to battle so many people because, well, he grindewald and doesn’t give a fuck
- “will we die, just a little?” WTF DOES THAT MEAN JOHNNY DEPP
- apparently swooping evil when put into a thunderbird made rain storm will erase people’s memories all Men in Black style
- NO JACOB, HOW DARE YOU
- yes queenie, you kiss him because he loves you and you love him and this is worse than the notebook cuz its harry potter and the notebook mixed together in one scene and I cry at harry potter everyday almost as much as I cried at the notebook
- GOD HE LOVES HER, HE LOOKS SO ADORABLY CLUELESS
- “i wouldn’t want anyone else investigating me” #newt trying to flirt and failing adorably
- new new new aesthetic: when newt brushes that little piece of hair out of tina’s face and she gently touches it after
- “would you mind if I brought a copy to you in person?” “I would like that very much.” *SCREAMS FOREVER*
- that moment when newt stops as if he wants to turn back and say something, but he keeps going, and you’re just chanting “OTP OTP OTP OTP” while dancing in a circle
- okay, so jacob remembers some shit because he makes his baked goods into the shapes of the creatures so please please pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
- CODE PINK CODE PINK QUEENIE IS IN THE FUCKING BUILDING LOOKING BEAUTIFUL AS EVER
- Jacob touches his murtlap bite and gives the CUTEST little half smile because he’s just like, “huh”
- AND THEN IT ENDS
- AND I CLAP UNTIL MY HANDS FALL OFF
- BECAUSE ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS FANTASTIC BEASTS MERCH
had a number of favourite scenes in the episode, especially ones that
highlighted the leaps and boundaries of Olivia’s emotional growth and
communication (the scene with her and Huck, for instance). This growth comes
after seasons of testing the capacity of our white knight’s humanity. This is the woman who, in season three was
told by her own father that her purpose in life is to save everyone and bring
them into the light (314). It almost destroyed her (318). By the end of season
four—after an arduous and dark journey—Olivia brought the only person for whom
she is truly responsible into the light: herself.
“Moments like this give every woman an opportunity to decide what kind of
person she wants to be, deep down, no matter what face we present to the world.
No matter what pain we’re hiding; what struggle we’ve been through, we know our
worth. We know what we’re capable of. We know who we are, who we’ll always be.
And we have a choice, we can hide in the shadows; or we can stand in the light.”
“And right now, I don’t want to gladiate for everyone else. I want this.
I want THIS. This is mine, Jake. I want what’s mine; I’m owed. And WATCH me
last words were the exact ones I used to describe Olivia Pope in my season five
poster analysis. This is the season of watching how Olivia gladiates with her
own wants and needs at the centre of her being-ness, in a world that
does not revolve around her, despite her being ‘the sun’. The
balcony scene in ‘Heavy Is The Head’ (501) is the perfect context in which
various tensions and metaphors in the episode are articulated. It is a
beautifully constructed (writing, acting, direction) scene between two people
who, in many ways, really want the same thing, but who grapple with their fears
about how to get there.
get into the scene.
Fitz: “I just got off the phone with
half the Navy. Turns out, Prince Richard is succeeding the Queen, effective
immediately. And since he is even more impenetrable than his mother, our Naval
base is dead in the water.”
Olivia: “I’m sorry you had a bad day at work, but I had a good one.”
this point it has been 24 hours since their fight in the Oval, wherein Olivia
demanded Fitz use his presidential powers to get justice for the murder of Princess
Emily (more below). She spent a night at her apartment (presumably in her own
bed since Huck was on the couch until the next day), and two scenes looking
gloomy in her office before she was ready to be in Fitz’s presence again.
You guys are now my favorite people! I was hoping someone would ask for number 48.
High School Reunion AU
Darcy kicked open the door to the lab and walked inside with an armload of old parts and supplies. It was destined for the even larger pile of old parts and supplies Jane was collecting at the back of her lab. One of the few benefits of being a fringe scientist with minimal funding was that you learned how to use and reuse pretty much everything.
“You know, Jane,” Darcy said as she dragged the latest batch of old pipes and car parts into the corner, “I love you, and I love working with you, but I’d personally rather not get a herniated disk before I turn twenty five, so could we maybe take a break- what are you doing?”
Jane looked up from her desk, closing the red leather book and pushing it aside.
“I’m just getting some extra work done,” she said. "Did you get all the stuff from outside.“
"I just have one more trip, thank God. Next time, do me a favor and invest in a u-haul.” Darcy rubbed circles into the small of her back to ease the pain. "And I know you weren’t working just now. If you were, you’d be fixing that energy reading module or whatever it’s called like you were doing when I left five minutes ago.“