11 common misconceptions
Okay so In years upon years of the show existing I have seen few things that very commonly are misinterpreted by people who watch it.
- “Yang needs to absorb damage to get stronger bc Ruby said so!” - Okay, first of all, that is literally contradicted by show. Multiple times. Assuming it was badly worded is far more logical than ignoring all the times she activates it without getting damaged(Like in Vol3 against Adam). Yang’s semblance is tied directly to her emotions. The more pissed she is the stronger she gets. It activates via her gaining red eyes and her hair gaining a fire effect with it glowing gold at it’s strongest.
- “Remnant has no religion and they worship dust!” - Again wrong. Religion is implied multiple times. If you did not have religion, you would not have graves, or praying at graves, or praying, or any sort of religious context. Rooster Teeth also did say that religions exist but they don’t want to directly touch upon them that much because of obvious reasons. Deities existing are also mentioned by Salem in the Divide song.
My personal theory is that continents might be named after deities.
- “If character likes opposite sex they are straight” - Again, no. There’s a wide spectrum of LGBT sexual identities. For example bisexuality exists. Its not just some ON/OFF switch between “Straight”/”Gay”. Also not everyone starts out knowing they are not straight. A person who thought who is straight can discover they are bisexual or gay for example.
A coming out experience can be widely different. Don’t assume anyone is “straight by default” - be it a show or real world. Being open-minded helps avoid toxic behavior and makes you a better human being.
- “Ruby’s petal things are weird and why are they even there” - Ruby’s petals are used to show her aura being very active in that moment. Most likely when she is using or activating her semblance. It is why the purest and fastest form of her semblance takes shape in her turning into petals. The first time we see that is in Red Trailer when she uses her speed to dodge the first beowulf attack. If you see petals floating around her, the indication is that she used her speed semblance in some way, just like fire and red eyes mean Yang’s berserker powers are active.
- “Only Weiss uses elemental ammo” - Actually everyone does. All ammo in the world is dust-based. Yang an Ruby usually use varying degrees of explosive rounds. Ruby is shown using different rounds multiple times int he show too. And actually Weiss does not use bullets at all. Her rapier contains dust containers that rotate and Weiss seems to use dust in it’s raw form instead of bullets.
- “Sacrifice is Cinder’s themesong!” - Actually no there’s no indication of that. In fact a lot of it seems to make it implausible and more likely option is that it is Raven’s as it seems to reference Summer’s death and plays literally before Volume 2 post credits scene containing Raven.
- “Moon looking different in various trailers and episodes is a mistake” - actually no. CRWBY already stated that the moon of Remnant is not tidally locked. Most common logic dictates that is because whatever shattered parts of it essentially led to changing the speed of his orbit around Remnant. Since Moon is not tidally locked different sides of it can be seen from Remnant at different times of the year thus the moon looks more or less destroyed depending on from where and when you are looking.
- “Faunus are animals” - Actually that is a racist assumption within remnant by those who want to discriminate against them. The truth is - faunus have far more in common with humans than with animals. They are humanoid species who all have one animal part each. If they were more of an animal, creatures of Grimm would not pay attention to them.
- “Ozpin is the Wizard from maiden tale!” - Actually Ozpin is the Wizard of Oz. And Wizard of Oz has one defining trait - he is a fraud. So unless the show directly states it, right now everything points against that theory and that theory is just a theory.
- “Faunus represent people of color” - Actually no. Faunus overall represent discrimination in general. You can draw many parallels - WW2 and jewish people, slavery, transphobia, etc. You know what represents people of color? People of color. Shocking, I know.
- “CRWBY does not care about ships. The show is not about ships” - Actually they very much do. Blake and Yang’s VAs openly ship their characters together(
While Ruby’s VA expresses preference of Ruby being aromantic or at least demisexual). Rooster Teeth has showed again and again that they are aware of ships existing and admitted adding scenes targeting the shippers. Whether they actually commit to any of the ships or just queerbait, they are aware of the ships and acknowledge them. The show has plenty of romantic text and subtext. So claiming that is reductive and stupid.
I am sure there are more but that’s all for now.