1. Home made candles, wonderful things. You don’t need anything special, just plain white candle wax, food coloring, wicks, and something to let the candles form in. If you can’t find a candle in the color you need, this is great because you can customize colors. It’s also great if you need a candle in a certain size, or would like to make one if a special shape.
2. Scented candle that match the spells intent, so that help get you into a state that can help the spell. If you think you should be very energized for this spell, candles that have energizing smells will helps. Same goes for relaxing smelling candles, great for sleep sleeps or for anxiety easing spells.
3. Dollar stores. I think most of us by now know how wonderful dollar stores are for candles, especially us low income witches. Trust me, the price of your candle does not affect it’s ability to work.
4. Sigils and candles go well together. Crave a sigil into your candle then let the candle burn all the way down. Match your candle colors, and scent if wished, to the intent of the sigil (or use a plain white candle.)
5. Prayer. If you are a religious witch, no matter what the exact religious, candles are great for prayer. I recommended purple, as purple is one of the most spiritual colors. It will help you connected to your god, or goddess, or both, or the angels, or to whoever you may be praying to.
Georges de la Tour (1593-1659)
“Mary Magdalene with a night light” (1630-1635)
Oil on canvas
Located in the Musée du Louvre, Paris, France
Tenebrism, from the Italian word “tenebroso,” meaning murky, is a style of painting using very pronounced chiaroscuro, where there are violent contrasts of light and dark, and where darkness becomes a dominating feature of the image. The technique was developed to add drama to an image through a spotlight effect, and was popular during the Baroque period.
Today is Bituun, the day before Tsaagan Sar (Mongolian New Year)!
Bituun is a much lower-key holiday than the celebrations tomorrow. Religious families may burn candles to symbolize a wish for enlightenment for all people. To start the new year clean, it is good luck to clean out your house, settle debts, forgive enemies, and of course make huge quantities of delicious buuz dumplings to eat tomorrow.
In the evening, the old year should be seen out in the company of your closest friends and family.
In this dream there is a boy.
I don’t need him, and he knows this.
But his hands are soft as mine,
and he’s cutting open a guayaba and when he speaks Spanish, he promises me the universe I have tucked inside my own head.
I ask him what he means.
He says I am half in, half out:
just barely living and letting the core waste away,
like grapefruit on the counter.
At night I light religious candles and pretend that I’m praying for the door to close,
but come morning I head back to where I first found him,
and my lips are parted for the kiss.
I don’t want him.
And he knows this.
anyways i’m laughing bc i just went downstairs and realized that the veladoras (those hispanic religious candles you see everywhere) in our living room had the same pic of jesus on them that isak used in his insta video